The Student Room Group

How is -4 divided by -4 = -8

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc:)
Lol I'm being destroyed :laugh: I really need this explaining to me

Easy target and I'm bored tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Technically speaking it is getting smaller if we're only concerned with the magnitudes

Posted from TSR Mobile

But we're not :tongue:
Original post by Student403
But we're not :tongue:

Traitor :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think what's happened is the divide sign on your calculator has been rubbed out a bit and now looks like a minus sign.
Original post by tanyapotter
I think what's happened is the divide sign on your calculator has been rubbed out a bit and now looks like a minus sign.

4(4)=0-4-(-4)=0
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
4(4)=0-4-(-4)=0

He still could have typed -4-4 into his calculator.
Original post by NoahMal
-4/-4 Firstly two negatives cancel out hence its 4/4 which is 1 therefore by mathematical induction it does not equal -8....

This is correct. I agree wholeheartedly.
Reply 47
I'm gonna start off by assuming that xx=k\frac{x}{x} = k where k is some constant.

    x=kx    (k1)x=0\iff x=kx \iff \left ( k-1 \right )x = 0 and so we now know that x=0x = 0.

From our original equation we have 00=k\frac{0}{0}= k and we know that anything divided by 0 is infinity, and so     ±=k\iff \pm \infty = k.

We reject the positive solution because x = -4 in our original example and so it must be negative infinity: k=k = - \infty.

Infinity is just an 88 rotated 90 or 270 degrees, so k=8k = -8 and it follows that xx=8\frac{x}{x} = -8, hence -4 divided by -4 is indeed -8.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ayman!
I'm gonna start off by assuming that xx=k\frac{x}{x} = k where k is some constant.

    x=kx    (k1)x=0\iff x=kx \iff \left ( k-1 \right )x = 0 and so we now know that x=0x = 0.

From our original equation we have 00=k\frac{0}{0}= k and we know that anything divided by 0 is infinity, and so     ±=k\iff \pm \infty = k.

We reject the positive solution because x = -4 in our original example and so it must be negative infinity: k=k = - \infty.

Infinity is just an 88 rotated 90 or 270 degrees, so k=8k = -8 and it follows that xx=8\frac{x}{x} = -8, hence -4 divided by -4 is indeed -8.

Today is a good day in maths history
Reply 49
Original post by Ayman!

nah you forgot you have to rotate the k by 90 or 270 degrees as well

Quick Reply

Latest