The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Theres a lot of competition in ireland because theres not many universities, and trinity college is the best
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies.Tht Trinity website says that 3 a levels taken in one year and up to 1 AS from a previous year are counted with the as worth 60 points so that makes 510 points. This years minimum points entry level was 480 points so maybe someone on here did get in,it all seems a lottery-just like applying for uni in England really!
everhopeful
Thanks for your replies.Tht Trinity website says that 3 a levels taken in one year and up to 1 AS from a previous year are counted with the as worth 60 points so that makes 510 points. This years minimum points entry level was 480 points so maybe someone on here did get in,it all seems a lottery-just like applying for uni in England really!

If you get the points you are in for sure, but the points required isn't the same for each year, as these are set by the number of students applying for the course, and not the university itself.

Having said that points tend to stay at around the same point, for example you'll never see medicine dropping below a certain level, as there are always more applicants than places available.
TCD DO NOT use the 150 points conversion though (I think all of the other unis do though). English and History TSM is extremly competitive, they're the most sought after individually. I myself got 500 points in my leaving cert and missed out on TSM History by 10 points, it never dropped at all. That was 2007 though.

If you don't have 4 A-Levels to present you are a hit-and-miss case and shouldn't expect anything, it's not on the same level as us who present 6 subjects without fail. I don't think you have a realistic chance, I think you might have a chance. If you get the points you are not in for sure! Lots of people overlook things such as matriculation requirements (foreign language Leaving Cert level/GCSE at least/no non traditional subjects are considered (as we don't have any of them so it'd be unfair) ag science may not be combined with any science subject etc you have to pass maths and so on.)
StarsAreFixed
TCD DO NOT use the 150 points conversion though (I think all of the other unis do though). English and History TSM is extremly competitive, they're the most sought after individually. I myself got 500 points in my leaving cert and missed out on TSM History by 10 points, it never dropped at all. That was 2007 though.

If you don't have 4 A-Levels to present you are a hit-and-miss case and shouldn't expect anything, it's not on the same level as us who present 6 subjects without fail. I don't think you have a realistic chance, I think you might have a chance. If you get the points you are not in for sure! Lots of people overlook things such as matriculation requirements (foreign language Leaving Cert level/GCSE at least/no non traditional subjects are considered (as we don't have any of them so it'd be unfair) ag science may not be combined with any science subject etc you have to pass maths and so on.)

Really? But i remember my CAO statement (in fact i just saw it again last week, it had the number of A's i had and the points i achieved, along with the course that i was accepted into); and it said i had 5A's and 600 points... but CAO only counts 4 subjects right? So... i dunno... but if i divide it up it is 150 points for an A...
billykwok
Really? But i remember my CAO statement (in fact i just saw it again last week, it had the number of A's i had and the points i achieved, along with the course that i was accepted into); and it said i had 5A's and 600 points... but CAO only counts 4 subjects right? So... i dunno... but if i divide it up it is 150 points for an A...

Yes, 4 A-Levels roughly equal 6 LC subjects. They won't make offers based solely on that like everyone else does, the weighting isn't fair enough- they use a sort of proportional system that I don't understand but apparently is fairer for UK and Irish students.

Latest

Trending

Trending