The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think they like higher ones (As and Bs at least) but on the site, it said something about A Level passes which are E grades. I'd email and find out as I remember the site saying something about high A Level grades being accepted.

I guess the higher the better, but being an international student, they might consider you with lower grades, as they charge more for tuition, etc.
what subject?
Reply 3
Finance or law
Yeah, this is what I was looking at last year when I was thinking of applying. I didn't in the end and I regret it :pinch:

http://www.hku.hk/admission/nonjupas-uer.htm#uk
Reply 5
lostphotobooth
Yeah, this is what I was looking at last year when I was thinking of applying. I didn't in the end and I regret it :pinch:

http://www.hku.hk/admission/nonjupas-uer.htm#uk

That can't be right can it?
7 E grades at GCSE? and 2 E grades at A level?
Correct me if i'm wrong =s
xhfsk

I know. I'm skeptical of that.

Best thing to do is probably email admissions and see what sort of grades they are after for your courses.

But I would hazard a guess at pretty high ones as HKU is one of the 'better' unis in Hong Kong (along with CUHK if you're interested). Not sure if Hong Kong Poly can be in the same category, but HKU and CUHK are widely regarded as the Oxford and Cambridge of Hong Kong afaik...
xhfsk

That's only the minimum requirements. I dunno about finance but for law the offer will be at least AAB (GCE A-Levels), maybe ABB if they really want you. Law at HKU is one of the most difficult courses to get into via the JUPAS route, so the entry requirements won't be too lenient in any case. Also it's worth noting that the HK A-Levels are much harder than the British ones but they're treated as equivalent - hence the 2 Es as the entry requirements. But as lostphotobooth has said, it's best to email UG admissions and ask.
Do you need to be able to speak Mandarin?
Colourspinner
That's only the minimum requirements. I dunno about finance but for law the offer will be at least AAB (GCE A-Levels), maybe ABB if they really want you. Law at HKU is one of the most difficult courses to get into via the JUPAS route, so the entry requirements won't be too lenient in any case. Also it's worth noting that the HK A-Levels are much harder than the British ones but they're treated as equivalent - hence the 2 Es as the entry requirements. But as lostphotobooth has said, it's best to email UG admissions and ask.

Oh God, getting into uni is crazy in Hong Kong, esp, as if you said using the JUPAS way of applying! It's so hard to get high grades in HK examinations as it is too. Compared to HK, A Levels really are a breeze!

The thing is though, the admissions process is a bit... confusing? Cos it says, you apply via JUPAS if you take HK examinations (HKCEE, I think it is, etc) and for NON-JUPAS, it's any other qualifications. However, to be non JUPAS and classed as an international student, you can't have a HKID card.

When I was looking into applying, I realised that I'd be classed as a non-JUPAS local student as I hold a HKID card? Dunno if you can help with that and I know it's a bit soon but I am looking into doing postgrad at either CUHK or HKU!
RamocitoMorales

Hong Kong unis teach in English.

Another reason why it's so hard to get into uni there as the English standard is pretty low if my experiences are anything to go by.

Also, the main language in Hong Kong is Cantonese :rolleyes:
RamocitoMorales

Nope, you don't even need to be able to speak Cantonese. Lectures and tutorials are in English (except the Chinese language courses obviously).
So how hard is it to get in if all they ask for are E's. Even if it is their minimum requirement, it's still very low.
RamocitoMorales
So how hard is it to get in if all they ask for are E's. Even if it is their minimum requirement, it's still very low.

Did you not read Colourspinner's previous post in this thread? She did say that HK A Levels are considered on a par with UK A Levels even though they are in fact harder. To get a pass in an HK A Level is much harder than it sounds.

Anyway, I wouldn't go round kidding yourself that HKU will accept anyone with E grades at A Level, because I'm sure the mark is probably at the A grade mark, with maybe one or two B grades (so ABB+).
lostphotobooth
The thing is though, the admissions process is a bit... confusing? Cos it says, you apply via JUPAS if you take HK examinations (HKCEE, I think it is, etc) and for NON-JUPAS, it's any other qualifications.

You apply via JUPAS if you offer grades from the HKALE and that applies to the vast majority of JUPAS candidates.

lostphotobooth
However, to be non JUPAS and classed as an international student, you can't have a HKID card. When I was looking into applying, I realised that I'd be classed as a non-JUPAS local student as I hold a HKID card? Dunno if you can help with that and I know it's a bit soon but I am looking into doing postgrad at either CUHK or HKU!

Yep you'll be classed as a non-JUPAS local. I'm not entirely sure about postgrad courses but I assume it'll be the same.
lostphotobooth
Did you not read Colourspinner's previous post in this thread? She did say that HK A Levels are considered on a par with UK A Levels even though they are in fact harder. To get a pass in an HK A Level is much harder than it sounds.

Anyway, I wouldn't go round kidding yourself that HKU will accept anyone with E grades at A Level, because I'm sure the mark is probably at the A grade mark, with maybe one or two B grades (so ABB+).

I'm confused. Isn't it saying that you need to get a pass in GCE A levels, which are basically the nice and easy English ones?

I'm sorry for perhaps wasting your time, but the UoHK has caught my interest.
RamocitoMorales

Lostphotobooth is right - even though some courses have lower entry requirements it doesn't mean they'll give you an EE offer or anything similar. In fact, far from that.
RamocitoMorales
I'm confused. Isn't it saying that you need to get a pass in GCE A levels, which are basically the nice and easy English ones?

I'm sorry for perhaps wasting your time, but the UoHK has caught my interest.

Yes they're indeed referring to GCE A-Levels but since the HK system is basically the same as the British one, the GCE and HK A-Levels are treated as equivalent despite the massive difference in difficulty. But like I said above, it really doesn't mean that you'll be given a nice, easy-to-achieve offer of two Es.

-Edited to correct typo.
Colourspinner
Yes they're indeed referring to GCE A-Levels but since the HK system is basically the same as the British one, the GCE and HK A-Levels are treated as equivalent despite the massive difference in difficulty. But like I said above, it really doesn't mean that you'll be given a nice, easy-to-achieve offer of two Es.

-Edited to correct typo.

So what sort of grades am I looking at?

AAA, ABB, BBB, BCC....etc
RamocitoMorales
So what sort of grades am I looking at?

AAA, ABB, BBB, BCC....etc

It depends on the course. And if you're applying the non-JUPAS way, it varies between applicants too.

Latest

Trending

Trending