The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Okorange
Ok... I guess my definition of elite isn't the same as yours.

I hope you don't think most people can get into UCL with a 2.2, only in very few courses could you bend their requirements and squeak through, and even then it must be a solid top 20 RG university, and a damn good all round application and work experience. A good 95% of their masters require a 2.1/1st from a good university. The new courses tend to be easier to get in at first, but the requirements soon go up as demand creeps up.
(edited 9 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
I hope you don't think most people can get into UCL with a 2.2, only in very few courses could you bend their requirements and squeak through, and even then it must be a solid top 20 RG university, and a damn good all round application and work experience. A good 95% of their masters require a 2.1/1st from a good university.

I know that, but even then, the only masters courses you can consider prestigious would be ones that are competitive, needing a high 2.1/1st from a top 20 uni that actually lead to improved job prospects.
(edited 9 years ago)
I know that, but even then, the only masters courses you can consider prestigious would be ones that are competitive, needing a high 2.1/1st from a top 20 uni.

Nottingham is a top 11-15 UK university, UCL top 5. That is the only thing I care about, not so much the course or how selective it is. Of course certain courses like Law and Economics would be harder to get into that some arts courses, but the prestige of the university counts above all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Come on, is Nottingham and UCL not good enough to be considered elite, given that I am a scientist in training? Are you ok? No problem with the drink?

Okorange is right. Nottingham is not elite, and doing a master at UCL is absolutely not prestigious.
As mentioned above, most UCL taught masters require a 2:1 and Nottingham is not even top 10 in the UK.

PS: I did my MSc at UCL, I was very happy with the course and I got into Oxbridge for a PhD, but I am realistic about the prestige of UCL at the master's level.
Original post by AlexandreFrance
Okorange is right. Nottingham is not elite, and doing a master at UCL is absolutely not prestigious.
As mentioned above, most UCL taught masters require a 2:1 and Nottingham is not even top 10 in the UK.

PS: I did my MSc at UCL, I was very happy with the course and I got into Oxbridge for a PhD, but I am realistic about the prestige of UCL at the master's level.

Nottingham might not be a solid UK top 10 now like in 2010/11, but it is close to that level, and they have motions in place to get back where they were. They have placed a much higher priority on the QS World Rankings than domestic league tables, as the former measure prestige that the world can see. It is still UK 14th and World 77th in the latest QS Rankings.

As for postgraduate studies, I could have gone to any one of Bristol, St Andrews, Imperial, UCL, and a few others. So are none of these elite? They quite often lead to getting onto a PhD at elite universities. Getting onto a masters is one thing, passing it is another.
The school really sucks. The weather is awful and there is nothing to do there. There are no decent places to eat, and absolutely nothing to do. It is so bad.
Original post by LeeAnnRoberti
The school really sucks. The weather is awful and there is nothing to do there. There are no decent places to eat, and absolutely nothing to do. It is so bad.

Are you a current student there? Why did did you choose it in the first place? Even Prince William found it hard going to settle there.
Original post by LeeAnnRoberti

I'm told it's so tedious and cold that the students spend all their time in bed, frequently with their lecturers. Whereas Manchester , Newcastle, York, Lancaster and Birmigham are just cold, wet and boring.
Looking out the window right now I could say that London is also very cold, damp (drizzle) , and it's Monday. Nuff said?
I guess you people don't play golf, sail or ski.
Original post by Hopefulbunny
I'm told it's so tedious and cold that the students spend all their time in bed, frequently with their lecturers. Whereas Manchester , Newcastle, York, Lancaster and Birmigham are just cold, wet and boring.
Looking out the window right now I could say that London is also very cold, damp (drizzle) , and it's Monday. Nuff said?

I'd much rather attend the other unis you named (except Lancaster - not prestigious enough) than risk St Andrews.

Sailing or Skiing isn't really doable in St Andrews... especially not during the winter.

Its a great place if you like house parties, drinking or studying because during the winter that is pretty much all there is to do.
Are St Andrews students generally classy and well mannered?
Sailing or Skiing isn't really doable in St Andrews... especially not during the winter.

Its a great place if you like house parties, drinking or studying because during the winter that is pretty much all there is to do.

Not the person you replied to, but;
-you can totally drive to glenshee if you have a car. Haven't been since I actually learned to ski so no idea if it's any good though.
-why not sailing? There's a club and everything?
Original post by Slumpy
Not the person you replied to, but;
-you can totally drive to glenshee if you have a car. Haven't been since I actually learned to ski so no idea if it's any good though.
-why not sailing? There's a club and everything?

Few people have a car in St Andrews. I can't imagine you would be sailing much in the winter though, even though admittedly i'm not sure. Sailing is a niche sport as well, doesn't have much appeal to most people.

Not IN st Andrews you wally. But it is a short minibus to the slopes. Not many uk unis can get skiing as quickly. And being on the coast they DO sail.. first break the ice ... Mad max mad but that's student life. I know St Andrews quite well. It's a place for people people. Those who don't get on with other people need not apply. You are in a small community so there us no way to avoid anyone you don't like and everyone knows everything about everyone.
Is Nottingham more prestigious than St Andrews? It certainly has a nicer campus environment to the cold haunted buildings of St Andrews.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not IN st Andrews you wally. But it is a short minibus to the slopes. Not many uk unis can get skiing as quickly. And being on the coast they DO sail.. first break the ice ... Mad max mad but that's student life. I know St Andrews quite well. It's a place for people people. Those who don't get on with other people need not apply. You are in a small community so there us no way to avoid anyone you don't like and everyone knows everything about everyone.

I didn't mean in st andrews obviously. I can agree with the last sentence. It won't suit everyone, you definitely need to be outgoing and be at least willing to drink to enjoy St Andrews in my opinion. On the flip side, boredom does mean more time to study.
I didn't mean in st andrews obviously. I can agree with the last sentence. It won't suit everyone, you definitely need to be outgoing and be at least willing to drink to enjoy St Andrews in my opinion. On the flip side, boredom does mean more time to study.

You say "at least willing to drink". Young man I fear you are not cut out for Scottish nights out. Enthusiastic drinking with style is de rigeur. It helps fight the cold as well as being a fantastic contraceptive in a gentleman's belly.
You say "at least willing to drink". Young man I fear you are not cut out for Scottish nights out. Enthusiastic drinking with style is de rigeur. It helps fight the cold as well as being a fantastic contraceptive in a gentleman's belly.

I don't believe I was referring to myself when I made that comment. :wink:
Reply 538
[QUOTE="Hogan;51664633" Hollywood="Hollywood"]Is Nottingham more prestigious than St Andrews? It certainly has a nicer campus environment to the cold haunted buildings of St Andrews.[/QUOTE
Son did his Masters at Nottingham and His PhD at St Andrews. He likes both but prefers St Andrews.They will have a job getting him to move!

Elaborate???

Latest

Trending

Trending