The Student Room Group

Computer Science vs Software Engineering

Hello.

I've been looking at University courses, and I'm just wondering what would be best to do.. Computer Science/Computing or Software Engineering?

I'm quite interested in programming, for example I code in Java and PHP. However, I currently do Computing at school and I quite like learning about the theory behind the computer; but saying that, I don't like doing it in too much depth.

If I took Software Engineering would that mean, that I would no longer learn about computer theory and it would be nearly 100% programming?

Or if I took Computer Science would there be hardly any programming?

All your advice is appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I think it depends on the course and the university.

Some "computer science" degrees have large amounts of practical programming and software development.. but others have huge amounts of math content, and much more theory. Traditionally all computer science degrees were mostly math - it's what CS is really about - and that is still the case in a lot of places.

Software engineering in contrast usually is focused on teaching you skills to become a professional software developer. They tend to be more practical and less academic, and probably more likely to land you a job, at least in the places I've worked.

Based on what you've said, I guess you probably would enjoy software engineering more, and it would be more applicable to getting you a job in the industry, but it really depends on the university course you're applying for. Software Engineering at Edinburgh would be much more theoretical than Software Engineering at Brighton, for example.

My computer science course at Sussex university was good, but had courses such as algorithmics (which taught graph algorithms and how to approximate the running times of algorithms) and functional programming - which was mostly math. I struggled at algorithmics majorly, and in some of the math-based courses such as neural computation and advanced neural networks, but in retrospect I'm glad I took the degree. The Sussex degree seemed to have a lot less math content than most other universities around its league table position, so be wary of that.

If you're not strong at math then that won't really stop you having a career as a software engineer, and certainly won't stop you having a career as a web developer (PHP).
Reply 2
m.grump
I think it depends on the course and the university.

Some "computer science" degrees have large amounts of practical programming and software development.. but others have huge amounts of math content, and much more theory. Traditionally all computer science degrees were mostly math - it's what CS is really about - and that is still the case in a lot of places.

Software engineering in contrast usually is focused on teaching you skills to become a professional software developer. They tend to be more practical and less academic, and probably more likely to land you a job, at least in the places I've worked.

Based on what you've said, I guess you probably would enjoy software engineering more, and it would be more applicable to getting you a job in the industry, but it really depends on the university course you're applying for. Software Engineering at Edinburgh would be much more theoretical than Software Engineering at Brighton, for example.

My computer science course at Sussex university was good, but had courses such as algorithmics (which taught graph algorithms and how to approximate the running times of algorithms) and functional programming - which was mostly math. I struggled at algorithmics majorly, and in some of the math-based courses such as neural computation and advanced neural networks, but in retrospect I'm glad I took the degree. The Sussex degree seemed to have a lot less math content than most other universities around its league table position, so be wary of that.

If you're not strong at math then that won't really stop you having a career as a software engineer, and certainly won't stop you having a career as a web developer (PHP).

Thanks for the advice!

I have to say maths is my downside when it comes to computer science and I am interested in developing software, so I think software engineering would be better for me :smile:.

Thanks!
Yeah, from what I can tell software engineering is probably a better bet. Certainly, CS at Warwick is filled with maths.

Latest

Trending

Trending