The Student Room Group

Lancaster vs Glasgow for computer science

Glasgow vs Lancaster university. I have received offers from Lancaster university for MSCI computer science and university of Glasgow for Bsc Software engineering (both 4 years). A 10 week work placement is included in both and both courses are very similar. Which university should I choose in terms of prestige and employment?(I am an international student so I don’t know which university is preferred by employers)
Reply 1
Original post by MrPresence
Glasgow vs Lancaster university. I have received offers from Lancaster university for MSCI computer science and university of Glasgow for Bsc Software engineering (both 4 years). A 10 week work placement is included in both and both courses are very similar. Which university should I choose in terms of prestige and employment?(I am an international student so I don’t know which university is preferred by employers)

Given you've posted this in the Lancaster section of the forum I suspect you'll just get people saying Lancaster...

...do you want to live in a city with countryside 45mins away (Glasgow), or in the countryside with a city an hour away (Lancaster)...?

Unless you're looking into applying for investment banking ir high end consultancy then it won't matter much between them.
Reply 2
Any suggestions where should I post it?
Reply 3
Any suggestions where should I post it?

Computer Science section
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52
Reply 4

Hi there!

As a criminology student, I don't know too much about the subjects you are interested in, but I can tell you that with employment, Lancaster has a great career service. I have used them to help me prepare for interviews and assessment centers, and they provide lifelong support, so even post-graduation! This is reassuring to me as it means there is always someone to ask for support with employment.

I also genuinely love the university itself as well. I enjoyed being at a campus university, as everything was at a convenient distance, and it made the community feel really close. We are also only a 15-minute bus ride from the city center and even though it is not a huge city, it has a lot going on. Also, we have a lot of different societies and sports going on, and compete in the largest varsity tournament in Europe- Roses!!. I have played at Roses for 2 years and honestly was a highlight in the calendar for me.

I hope that helps a bit,
Kat

Hey @MrPresence
Great choice to study comp sci and as you mentioned yourself, both universities are great for it.
I have just finished my second year studying computer science at Lancaster uni so let me just share my experience with you.
I want to tell you a little about the course structure.
So in your first year you start with 4 core modules and 1 minor. One good thing about having just 4 modules is that it gives you time to settle in to your new life, and make friends, along with time to study enough for your modules.
The minor you choose can be anything from a language you wish to learn (french, Spanish, german etc) to a new skill (entrepreneurship, finance, marketing) to another subject you wish to study (psychology, biology, maths etc). There are over 50 different subjects to choose from for a minor)
Lectures run from 9am to 6pm which are 1 hour each and workshops are 2 hours each. You will have at least 1 lecture and 1 workshop for each of your modules including the minor module. There are no exams throughout the year, only coursework submissions and quizzes. Final exams happen once a year in summer term for all years.
Second year you will have 6 core modules and 2 optional modules that you can choose from depending on which field of cs you are more interested in. But the format stays the same leading to courseworks for all modules and final exams once at the end of the year. You will have 1 group project though, which will be 100% coursework marked without a final exam. Same stays for 3rd year, but you have 4 core modules and 4 optionals to choose from. 3rd year will also account for your final year project and dissertation. For your last year I believe you have a 10 week provided placement, and then a project to submit.

It would help you to understand the same about Glasgow and see which course structure you like more and which uni offers more interesting modules that you like.
You can also understand a little about the campus life and see which one seems like a better fit for you. For example, Lancaster has a collegiate system where each student is assigned a college that they are a part of during their entire time at Lancaster. This allows a closer group of people you link with etc.

If you want a personal answer from different students from each university I would suggest you head over to "Ask a student" option at the uni pages and speak personally to some students.
I hope this gives you some guide and do let me know if there is anything else I can help you with :smile:

Best of Luck!!
Vyomika (LU Student Ambassador)
The Careers section of the Lancaster university course website shows you the employers that you might end up with.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Duplicate threads merged.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9

Hello. Why they offer work placement only for 10 weeks? What next? Is it possible to get sponsorship visa for international student after?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending