The Student Room Group

[SOLVED]GCSE: Simplifying Fractions

Here is an example straight from textbook that I'm having some difficulty with.

Simplify: 4x2x23x+2\displaystyle \frac{4 - x^2 }{x^2-3x + 2}

Step 1:

4x2x23x+2\displaystyle \frac{4 - x^2 }{x^2-3x + 2} == (2x)(2+x)(x2)(x1)\displaystyle \frac{(2-x)(2+x)}{(x-2)(x-1)}

Step 2:

Notice that the denominator has a factor of 2x\displaystyle 2-x and nemerator has a factor of x2x-2. Now x2=(1)(2x)\displaystyle x-2 = (-1)(2-x). so we can simplify the fraction.

Step 3:

== (2+x)(x1)\displaystyle \frac{-(2+x)}{(x-1)}

Step 4:

== 2+xx1\displaystyle \frac{2+x}{x-1}

Notice that we multiplied numerator and denominator by 1-1 to make the coefficients in the numerator positive.

I'm stuck from Step 2 onwards. What's confusing me is the inclusion of: x2=(1)(2x)\displaystyle x-2 = (-1)(2-x). I understand that by doing that operation, '2-x' becomes 'x-2'. But I don't understand what's going on in this instance; the textbook states it multiplied the numerator and denominator by '-1', but wouldn't doing that also inverse the denominator from '(x-1)' to '(-x+1)' ?

Could you spell this out for me step-by-step style?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
multiply the top and bottom of the fraction by -1, so you're left with

(x2)(2+x)(x2)(1x)\frac{(x-2)(2+x)}{(x-2)(1-x)}

2+x1x\Rightarrow \frac{2+x}{1-x}
i think you mean the "denominator" has a factor of x-2 and the "numerator" has a factor of 2-x.... i think that's been mixed up there.
Reply 3
-1[x^2-4] / (x-2)(x-1)

-1[(x-2)(x+2)] / (x-2)(x-1) the (x-2) cancels

so -1(x+2) / (x-1)

then multiply it by -1

= x+2 / 1-x
Reply 4
boromir9111
i think you mean the "denominator" has a factor of x-2 and the "numerator" has a factor of 2-x.... i think that's been mixed up there.

I caught this too and double checked to make sure I copied it correctly from the textbook, I have. Seems like a silly error missed by the editors.

In Step 3, if you multiply out the numerator wouldn't it come to 2+x-2+x?
popman
I caught this too and double checked to make sure I copied it correctly from the textbook, I have. Seems like a silly error missed by the editors.

In Step 3, if you multiply out the numerator wouldn't it come to 2+x-2+x?

As the above post has suggested, multiply top and bottom by -1 to get the result you want!!!! the book is just taking you the long way round
Looks like someone can't take constructive advice and that's why they neg repped me!!!!
Reply 7
boromir9111
As the above post has suggested, multiply top and bottom by -1 to get the result you want!!!! the book is just taking you the long way round

So if I multiply the top and bottom by (-1), to me it should look like this:

[a]

(1)[(2x)(2+x)](1)[(x2)(x1)]\displaystyle \frac{(-1)[(2-x)(2+x)]}{(-1)[(x-2)(x-1)]}

Which is also the same as:

(1)(2x)(1)(2+x)(1)(x2)(1)(x1)\displaystyle \frac{(-1)(2-x)(-1)(2+x)}{(-1)(x-2)(-1)(x-1)}

Which would give:

[c]

(2+x)(2x)(x+2)(x+1)\displaystyle \frac{(-2+x)(-2-x)}{(-x+2)(-x+1)}

Right?

But doing this just gives me the inverse of the original and I still don't see how they cancel out. I can see where if only (2x)(2-x) was multiplied by (-1) it would equal x2 x-2 and then it could be cancelled out with the dominator. But I thought the whole of the numerator and denominator has to be multiplied or divided by whatever number you introduce to keep the ratio between the numerator and denominator the same - as in [a] and .

This is my understanding, and I can't figure out the difference between this and what's in the textbook.

Stating:

multiply top and bottom by -1 to get the result you want!!!!

Isn't really helpful when that's one of the things I'm confused about.
popman
So if I multiply the top and bottom by (-1), to me it should look like this:

[a]

(1)[(2x)(2+x)](1)[(x2)(x1)]\displaystyle \frac{(-1)[(2-x)(2+x)]}{(-1)[(x-2)(x-1)]}

Which is also the same as:

(1)(2x)(1)(2+x)(1)(x2)(1)(x1)\displaystyle \frac{(-1)(2-x)(-1)(2+x)}{(-1)(x-2)(-1)(x-1)}

Which would give:

[c]

(2+x)(2x)(x+2)(x+1)\displaystyle \frac{(-2+x)(-2-x)}{(-x+2)(-x+1)}

Right?

But doing this just gives me the inverse of the original and I still don't see how they cancel out. I can see where if only (2x)(2-x) was multiplied by (-1) it would equal x+2 x+2 and then it could be cancelled out with the dominator. But I thought the whole of the numerator and denominator has to be multiplied or divided by whatever number you introduce to keep the ratio between the numerator and denominator the same - as in [a] and .

This is my understanding, and I can't figure out the difference between this and what's in the textbook.

Stating:

Isn't really helpful when that's one of the things I'm confused about.

-1[x^2-4] / (x-2)(x-1)

-1[(x-2)(x+2)] / (x-2)(x-1) the (x-2) cancels

so -1(x+2) / (x-1)

then multiply it by -1

= x+2 / 1-x

edit - you gotta remember, you're taking out the factor to make it more simpler when cancelling out!!!!
Reply 9
I got it now, I did some 'specializing' and used integers in place of letters and - duh - 2x2-x is the same as (1)(x+2)(-1)(x+2), it's just another way of writing it - and doing it this way reveals the common factors so that they can be removed, just as you would factorize quadratics in a fraction to determine common factors for simplifying. :biggrin:
Reply 10
popman
I got it now, I did some 'specializing' and used integers in place of letters and - duh - 2x2-x is the same as (1)(x+2)(-1)(x+2), it's just another way of writing it - and doing it this way reveals the common factors so that they can be removed, just as you would factorize quadratics in a fraction to determine common factors for simplifying. :biggrin:

2-x = (-1)(x-2) =/= (-1)(x+2)
excactly..... you take the factor out and hence it simplifies it!!!! congrats!!!
Reply 12
Scallym
2-x = (-1)(x-2) =/= (-1)(x+2)

Woops, your right. Thanks. Fortunately I understand that, I made a typo.

Here's another, which I seem to have got stuck on:

a11a2 \displaystyle \frac{a-1}{1-a^2} .

Here's my working:

[1]

Now (1a2)=(1)(a21)(1-a^2)=(-1)(a^2-1), so:

a1(1)(a21) \displaystyle \frac{a-1}{(-1)(a^2-1)} == a1(1)(a×a1) \displaystyle \frac{a-1}{(-1)(a \times a-1)}, which gives:

[2]

1(1)(a) \displaystyle \frac{1}{(-1)(a)}, which gives:

[3]

1a \displaystyle \frac{1}{-a}

But the answer in the textbook shows:

11+a\displaystyle \frac{-1}{1+a}

Where have I made a mistake?
Reply 13
(a-1)/(1-a²)

You know that 1-a² = (1-a)(1+a) = - (a-1)(1+a)

Now you can spot the (a-1) at the numerator and the denominator.

Therefore (a-1)/(1-a²) = (a-1) / -(a-1)(1+a) = 1 / -(1+a) = -1/(1+a)

However, bear in mind that this only works for a =/= 1 and a=/= -1
popman
Woops, your right. Thanks. Fortunately I understand that, I made a typo.

Here's another, which I seem to have got stuck on:

a11a2 \displaystyle \frac{a-1}{1-a^2} .

Here's my working:

[1]

Now (1a2)=(1)(a21)(1-a^2)=(-1)(a^2-1), so:

a1(1)(a21) \displaystyle \frac{a-1}{(-1)(a^2-1)} == a1(1)(a×a1) \displaystyle \frac{a-1}{(-1)(a \times a-1)}, which gives:

[2]

1(1)(a) \displaystyle \frac{1}{(-1)(a)}, which gives:

[3]

1a \displaystyle \frac{1}{-a}

But the answer in the textbook shows:

11+a\displaystyle \frac{-1}{1+a}

Where have I made a mistake?

(a21)=(a+1)(a1)(a^2-1) = (a+1)(a-1)

Not a(a-1) as you put. That's the mistake.

So, working it through:

(1a2)=(1)(a21)(1-a^2)=(-1)(a^2-1)

a1(1)(a21) \displaystyle \frac{a-1}{(-1)(a^2-1)} == a1(1)(a+1)(a1) \displaystyle \frac{a-1}{(-1)(a+1)(a-1)}

1(1)(a+1) \displaystyle \frac{1}{(-1)(a+1)}

1a+1 \displaystyle \frac{-1}{a+1}

As in the textbook.
Reply 15
simontinsley
(a21)=(a+1)(a1)(a^2-1) = (a+1)(a-1)

Not a(a-1) as you put. That's the mistake.

So, working it through:

(1a2)=(1)(a21)(1-a^2)=(-1)(a^2-1)

a1(1)(a21) \displaystyle \frac{a-1}{(-1)(a^2-1)} == a1(1)(a+1)(a1) \displaystyle \frac{a-1}{(-1)(a+1)(a-1)}

1(1)(a+1) \displaystyle \frac{1}{(-1)(a+1)}

1a+1 \displaystyle \frac{-1}{a+1}

As in the textbook.

Got it! Thanks! :biggrin:

Latest