The Student Room Group

Senior Maths Challenge

I know its an absolute age away, but I've never worked for it before, and so I'd rather do little increments over a long period of time, than cram anything the night before. I really really really want to qualify for the BMO because I'm almost certain that I'm going into a mathsy degree and so it would look great on my PS. Also it looks fun af lol. I did a paper yesterday evening and attained a high silver, which surprised me as I've only ever gotten bronze before lol. Do you think it would be possible to work to get a BMO-worthy score, and if so, do you guys have any important tips/tricks?

Like, I know it's just a challenge at the end of the day, but I would really like it. I'm going into Year 12 next year, so this is basically my final opportunity as well.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by examcrammer156
I know its an absolute age away, but I've never worked for it before, and so I'd rather do little increments over a long period of time, than cram anything the night before. I really really really want to qualify for the BMO because I'm almost certain that I'm going into a mathsy degree and so it would look great on my PS. Also it looks fun af lol. I did a paper yesterday evening and attained a high silver, which surprised me as I've only ever gotten bronze before lol. Do you think it would be possible to work to get a BMO-worthy score, and if so, do you guys have any important tips/tricks?

Like, I know it's just a challenge at the end of the day, but I would really like it. I'm going into Year 12 next year, so this is basically my final opportunity as well.

There is a reasonable jump between silver and bmo, but theres no harm in trying and youll learn some stuff along the way. A few tips
* learn some problem solving methods (so sketch, work backwards, simplify the problem, transform the problem, sub numbers in, ...)
* learn to solve the problems efficiently as many smc questions can be solved in a line or two with the right approach, not an algebraic slog
* do past papers, maybe a compbination of closed book and open book, so see what score you get in timed practice but spend some time on the ones you cant do, rather than jumping to the mark scheme.
* There are a few resources like drfrostslides
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/downloadables.php?noid=917
ukmt books which have a lot of tips etc in. While there isnt a great deal beyond gcse in the smc, the questions will test you so having a look at geometry/algebra/number theory/... and practice on the smc papers.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by examcrammer156

Dr Frost also has a UKMT database: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/worksheets.php?wdid=47

Quick Reply

Latest