The Student Room Group

USyd or LSE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hey spenglersghost. no worries.
the break before grad school sounds cool.
i left lse! i am not happy with my decision to go there, but how would i have known unless i had tried it? it was too serious and impersonal for me. i was very unhappy, and not for a lack of getting involved and making new friends. i couldn't see myself there for three years. however, i think it is still a great thing for you for grad school. it's a mature place and provides a better environment for grad than undergrad, if you ask me. i love london, one of the main reasons for the attraction to lse, and so i was so sad to leave :frown:
i'll be heading to the university of sydney in late february, and i am way excited.
i am sure whichever one you go to will be great. let me know.
happy new year
Reply 21
definitely LSE for your subjects (International Relations and History)!
Reply 22
thanks, but i left :rolleyes: the school environment not for me :redface: but lse is kick booty for those, yah
I'm sorry that LSE didn't turn out as you planned. But you are right, if you hadn't gone, you would never have known that. I also think it's right that you have some fun during undergrad because you'll have the chance for more serious study during grad school. I am sure that Sydney will be a blast! :smile: I had so much fun when I was in Melbourne for a semester.
This whole "taking a year off" thing hasn't really turned out as I had planned either. So I am pretty excited about going back to school, especially in the city of London. (I told them I would be coming in Sep) Yet I still have this Australian bug inside me! I am hoping that I can arrange to work in Sydney for a few months before going to LSE. Don't know if I'll be able to do it, but I'm crossing my fingers. :rolleyes:
Let me know how things in Sydney turn out.
Cheers
P.S. What are you planning on studying?
Reply 24
thanks for the support. i am really excited. sounds like you are, too. :smile: that'd be awesome if you could work in sydney before going to school. whatever work you do will be great, i'm sure. at lse i was doing int'l relations and history. at the university of sydney i'll be doing a bachelor of int'l studies and majoring in gov't and int'l relations. but i'll get to take courses in the faculty of arts as well. some variety! i'm in at a residential college, which i'm also excited about - get some aussie culture, tradition, whatnot. i'll let you know how it goes. you do the same -about how your stuff goes, i mean. haha. later!

spenglersghost
I'm sorry that LSE didn't turn out as you planned. But you are right, if you hadn't gone, you would never have known that. I also think it's right that you have some fun during undergrad because you'll have the chance for more serious study during grad school. I am sure that Sydney will be a blast! :smile: I had so much fun when I was in Melbourne for a semester.
This whole "taking a year off" thing hasn't really turned out as I had planned either. So I am pretty excited about going back to school, especially in the city of London. (I told them I would be coming in Sep) Yet I still have this Australian bug inside me! I am hoping that I can arrange to work in Sydney for a few months before going to LSE. Don't know if I'll be able to do it, but I'm crossing my fingers. :rolleyes:
Let me know how things in Sydney turn out.
Cheers
P.S. What are you planning on studying?
Reply 25
ohahoh
hey spenglersghost. no worries.
the break before grad school sounds cool.
i left lse! i am not happy with my decision to go there, but how would i have known unless i had tried it? it was too serious and impersonal for me. i was very unhappy, and not for a lack of getting involved and making new friends. i couldn't see myself there for three years. however, i think it is still a great thing for you for grad school. it's a mature place and provides a better environment for grad than undergrad, if you ask me. i love london, one of the main reasons for the attraction to lse, and so i was so sad to leave :frown:
i'll be heading to the university of sydney in late february, and i am way excited.
i am sure whichever one you go to will be great. let me know.
happy new year

It's a real shame you left the School. Can I ask what exactly you hated about it? Who was your tutor and what did they do to encourage you to stay on?
Reply 26
I'm from Australia and I have to say that you MUST MUST go to LSE over USyd. Nothing against USyd, but come on, this is LSE!!! Its like saying, where would you rather go, Cambridge or local polytechnic. Not so much to that degree but this is a world reknowned uni vs an Aussie one. I know which one I'd rather have and I went to Monash.
Reply 27
wow, thanks for all the support.
look, i left and i'm going to usyd.
i am well aware that it is not as prestigious as lse and that it does not offer much personal attention. lse didn't offer much anyway. my tutor was nice but she neither had the time nor the energy to address my concerns.
usyd has other aspects which i anticipate will work for me. i know that sydney is largely a commuter school. i will be at a st. john's college, which is small and will give me a true community. lse can't offer that.
i enjoy diversity. that was not a problem at all at lse. it was one thing which made it hard to leave. and i am still talking to the friends i made there.
sometimes world-renowned universities aren't for everyone. lse is a kick-ass school, but it's not for me. life's too short to do what makes you unhappy, right?
it's been a hard decision but i think the right one - even with all the skepticism and criticism from the likes of you! :p:
Reply 28
ohahoh
should i go to the university of sydney or to london school of economics and political science? i am from the states and have not visited either school. any insight into the schools and their natures will be much appreciated. thanks.

Clear cut choice! LSE all the way! :biggrin:
Reply 29
ohahoh
i am well aware that it is not as prestigious as lse and that it does not offer much personal attention. lse didn't offer much anyway. my tutor was nice but she neither had the time nor the energy to address my concerns.
usyd has other aspects which i anticipate will work for me. i know that sydney is largely a commuter school. i will be at a st. john's college, which is small and will give me a true community. lse can't offer that.
i enjoy diversity. that was not a problem at all at lse. it was one thing which made it hard to leave. and i am still talking to the friends i made there.
sometimes world-renowned universities aren't for everyone. lse is a kick-ass school, but it's not for me. life's too short to do what makes you unhappy, right?
it's been a hard decision but i think the right one - even with all the skepticism and criticism from the likes of you! :p:

I'm sorry to hear you were unhappy at the School. Can I ask who your tutor was? (was it Anna Prazmowska?). In what ways did she not help you with your concerns?
Reply 30
Don't listen to PoohBear, a lot of what he experienced has to do with the fact that he is jewish. Antisemitism in Australia is clearly defined and jews find themselves socially excluded on a regular basis (mostly unconscious, but clearly discernable racism). There are plenty of opportunities for partying. In fact, my issue with USyd is that it is not serious *enough*. Too many people are allowed to coast, which is why its reputation is lower than it should be.

P.S. the university of sydney student body is not 70% asian.
rubysolstice
I remember it taking forever to get to anywhere from anywhere else when I visited last year.

Sydney gets waaaaaaaaaay quicker to navigate as you become familiar with the city. As long as you don't trust the signs, and always believe you'll get a second chance if you miss the turn, it's pretty quick. and beware of taxis. :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by ohahoh

When you got to Sydney, what did you do regarding housing? I've heard on-campus housing is really competitive since only 5% of the student population is there and that off-campus private accommodation is more likely but most people have to commute. It's seems so daunting! Where are you living during your time there?
Get yourself to Sydney son. Best city in the world.
Reply 34
Original post by 747-400
When you got to Sydney, what did you do regarding housing? I've heard on-campus housing is really competitive since only 5% of the student population is there and that off-campus private accommodation is more likely but most people have to commute. It's seems so daunting! Where are you living during your time there?

Original post by martin jol
Get yourself to Sydney son. Best city in the world.

You people realise this thread is more than 7 years old) :wink:

And concerning the TO's wish for an Australian university with LSE's reputation in Politics and International Relations - according to the QS Ranking LSE is 3rd globally, the Australian National University 10th. The difference is marginal though.
Original post by Sir Fox
You people realise this thread is more than 7 years old) :wink:

oops :colondollar:

Sydney was the best city 7 years ago, and still is today :biggrin:
Reply 36
If you're British trying it out in Sydney would be a whole new experience for you and it would widen your views about the world as you'll learn new culture, see a different architecture, meet different people, etc.. If you're form Sydney, LSE would be fantastic.

Personally, I'd go for the University of Sydney because Australia is such a beautiful continent, and the Australian economy is booming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending