The Student Room Group

Is it better to study Law LLB in the UK or Australia?

I have recently applied to UCAS (Law LLB), but now considering if I should also apply to Australian unis. When is the deadline to apply for Aus unis? Do they also require Law applicants to do any test like LNAT? Best Aus unis to study Law? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by strawberrymoon
I have recently applied to UCAS (Law LLB), but now considering if I should also apply to Australian unis. When is the deadline to apply for Aus unis? Do they also require Law applicants to do any test like LNAT? Best Aus unis to study Law? Thanks!

Hi, I believe offer rounds for Aus law finished last month for the normal application cycle (year starts this month February and finishes at around Nov-Dec) but you might be able to start at later semesters (might have to verify with the university as I may be wrong). Getting into Aus Law depends on your qualifications - whether you've met the minimum threshold. Generally, this is quite high as competition for law is high (after med).

As for what are the best uni's for law - University of Melbourne is considered the best law school in Australia. It's degree is unique in that it's not an LLB but a JD, meaning you do an undergraduate degree in a broader discipline and start your law post-grad. Some other universities such as Usyd, UNSW, Monash, and ANU have a law LLB if that suits you though. Usyd is known for churning out prime ministers which makes it quite popular.

Some downsides though are that unlike UK, these unis don't have a straight law degree and are structured as a compulsory double degree where you also major in something else (can vary between any subject in Arts, or science). This lengthens the degree to 5 years - 6 if you do an honours (Aus version of an integrated masters).

I know at Usyd, the ATAR (aus version of A-levels) minimum is 99.5 which is A star A star A but there's no admissions test so as long as you meet that, you're in. UNSW is much more lenient as they assess 50% atar and 50% performance on their admissions test called LAT (which you do around august or september). Not sure about other unis though so you might have to check that. Hope this helps!
(edited 2 months ago)
hii, thank you so much this really helps! I was wondering if international students are also required to do LAT? i want to apply to Aus unis but my family prefers me to stay in the UK, which is why I haven't applied yet. Would it be too late if I apply after I received my Alevel results (im in Year 13 at the moment and sitting my Alevels this coming june)? Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by strawberrymoon
hii, thank you so much this really helps! I was wondering if international students are also required to do LAT? i want to apply to Aus unis but my family prefers me to stay in the UK, which is why I haven't applied yet. Would it be too late if I apply after I received my Alevel results (im in Year 13 at the moment and sitting my Alevels this coming june)? Thanks!

Seems like international students don't need to do LAT! https://www.unsw.edu.au/law-justice/study/undergraduate/law-admission-test#:~:text=International%20students%20are%20not%20eligible,eligible%20to%20sit%20the%20LAT.

You'll most likely start university next year (2025) on February as that's when the university year begins. This means that you'll apply through the Australian versions of UCAS (each state it's different), all which are due at around the end of September. You should have already received your A-Levels by then.

To be pragmatic, I'd agree with your parents, the calibre of law in UK is much higher than Australia. Also, you won't need to waste as much time doing a 5 year degree when you could do it in 3 years. If you prefer the Australian environment, which is very relaxed, that's also totally fine as well! There is no harm in not applying but imho, the people who do law in Aus are less passionate about the subject and more driven to go straight into banking/finance afterwards (as banks here highly favour a commerice-law double degree more than anything else). There are definitely people who want to study the subject law itself but perhaps not to the same extent as the UK law undergraduates. So that's something to keep in mind.

tldr If you seek the academic rigour of law, I recommend UK much more than Australia. The double degree has mostly been established because Unis kind of know that people will end up switching degrees if they make it a single degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending