The Student Room Group

lse econ or ucl econ

I have got an offer from lse but it is not a pure econ offer and ive got an offer from UCL which is a pure econ offer

was wondering what I should choose, which university based on future employability would be better and how far behind is the other one?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have got an offer from lse but it is not a pure econ offer and ive got an offer from UCL which is a pure econ offer
was wondering what I should choose, which university based on future employability would be better and how far behind is the other one?
in exact same boat here! idk what to do either - what joint course is urs?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
in exact same boat here! idk what to do either - what joint course is urs?
economics and economic history what about you?
Depends on what exactly you want to do. But generally I gather that the degree itself is close to irrelevant if you're interested in getting into general finance jobs like banking. In that case, the brand name of LSE would be superior.
Reply 4
Original post by Vesti La Giubba
Depends on what exactly you want to do. But generally I gather that the degree itself is close to irrelevant if you're interested in getting into general finance jobs like banking. In that case, the brand name of LSE would be superior.
is this in terms of international rep too? and is there a major difference in the perceived prestige of the 2 unis? thanks.
is this in terms of international rep too? and is there a major difference in the perceived prestige of the 2 unis? thanks.
Must confess I'm no expert. LSE is more prestigious, especially within financial circles. No question about that. But certainly not by much. Like I said depends on what you want to do. Both great choices. I think if your plan is to get a career in the city in finance, LSE is a somewhat clear choice.
Reply 6
Original post by Vesti La Giubba
Must confess I'm no expert. LSE is more prestigious, especially within financial circles. No question about that. But certainly not by much. Like I said depends on what you want to do. Both great choices. I think if your plan is to get a career in the city in finance, LSE is a somewhat clear choice.

thank u sm!
What specific course did you apply to at LSE? What do you want to do afterwards? Doing a joint honours vs single honours is irrelevant for many options, although equally for those options whether you go to LSE or UCL it's really equivocal.
Reply 8
Lse is amazing for the finance/economics sector and is often seen as more prestigious than ulc, in addition lse graduates are looked more favourably upon by future employers than ucl especially if you’re looking to do a job related with economics or finance. At the end of the day, however, it’s up to you and where you think you will thrive more. Have you had the opportunity to check the campuses of both unis?
economics and economic history what about you?

Depends. Obv dont do a course that you wont enjoy, but if you like both the courses in terms of employer reputation for economics there are few/no places that will trump LSE. If you want to go into IB/finance the LSE brand name for any course, but especially if you do something economics themed like you are, is unmatched.
Original post by Anonymous #3
Depends. Obv dont do a course that you wont enjoy, but if you like both the courses in terms of employer reputation for economics there are few/no places that will trump LSE. If you want to go into IB/finance the LSE brand name for any course, but especially if you do something economics themed like you are, is unmatched.

thank you, this is very helpful
decided to go with LSE
Congrats, on both! I would also say to consider the quality of student experience. I go to UCL, and my LSE friends felt they had a much worse quality of life, due to the competitive, not fun, environment LSE perpetuates, compared to UCL. LSE is defo very prestigious for finance, although UCL would also get you where you want to go. Best of luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Congrats, on both! I would also say to consider the quality of student experience. I go to UCL, and my LSE friends felt they had a much worse quality of life, due to the competitive, not fun, environment LSE perpetuates, compared to UCL. LSE is defo very prestigious for finance, although UCL would also get you where you want to go. Best of luck!

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending