The Student Room Group
Reply 1
wilgina
I'm a size 12 and happy to be this size, but I always feel like my hips are really big! It's probably something no one else notices, but I was just wondering what kinds of clothes I could wear to make them less noticable and make me feel less self conscious.

Cheers x

If you're a szixe 12 then chances are your hips are fine, but I know what you mean about one part of your body feeling out of proportion...
Try wearing pants that sit nicely on you hips, then you should have a nice join between your top and pants so that your hips are less obvious... I think thats right :confused:
Also wear low slung belts to distract from them.
I'm sure someones gonna come on and correct me now lol!
Reply 2
I have the exact same problem as I am 5foot8 and a 12 on the bottom but an 8 on top. so I would suggest Dark colours...It is best to wear darker and plain colours on the bottom half if you have bigger hips and then wear something more colourful or patterned on top. Darker colours are always more slimming.

I quite like the wide legged cropped trousers which are really in at the moment, because they make your legs look more in proportion to your hips, but avoid horizontal stripes

Opt for A-line skirts and bootleg trousers that balance out the hips and thighs, and skirts or dresses with a frilled hem are a flattering choice.
Reply 3
Me too. 5'10, size 8/10 top, 12 bottoms.

I love A-line skirts and volume - i.e. knickerbockers and puffball skirts (though you might want to go for a less wacky version of these). I never wear *anything* high-waisted as it just makes your thighs and hips look massive. Low waists, A-line or volumous skirts etc. But if you're not strictly 'large' then you might be able to be more adventurous with colour, I certainly don't limit myself to dark and patternless and it seems to work.
Reply 4
im size 6-8 trousers, but my sis has a shop selling 16-32 sized clothes, i no that you are not that size BUT when i normally talk to people there they normally wear skirts and that compliments there hips. Hope that helps :smile:
Well, I wear size 6 tops & size 6-8 bottom- does this mean that it is disproportionate?
Reply 6
fleur - you're not disproportionate at all. I think its normal to be different. Its just that some people (me included) just look drastically different on top and on the bottom. In H&M I find the size 8 top too big, yet have to wear a 12 bottom. But actually, I'm not that out of proportion as I have quite a large chest, its just the waist.

But there's nothing wrong with being bigger on the bottom; a lot of women are bigger on the bottom. Fat rests there on females naturally.
Reply 7
Mata
In H&M I find the size 8 top too big, yet have to wear a 12 bottom.

:ditto:, although the sizing in H & M can be slightly eratic.

A Line skirts are really flattering (they kind of smooth everything out!) as are low trousers. Go for darker colours on bottom, and something eye catchingAt the end of the day, everybody has an issue with at least one part of their body (my thighs...), so don't get down about it!
LilyKM
I have the exact same problem as I am 5foot8 and a 12 on the bottom but an 8 on top.

Ditto!

I have big hips for my size too, but I love them. How could you possibly want to hide tem??
Reply 9
to be honest

without a nice set of curvy hips, a females body (in my humble opinion) has no shape!

like a nice pair of hips on a lass...... :wink:
Reply 10
take a look at this site - hope it helps!

tips and tricks
Reply 11
LilyKM
as I am 5foot8 and a 12 on the bottom but an 8 on top.

same lol, well excpet im more like 5 foot 7 but still.. yup like someone said go for low waisted trousers! I dont paticularly like my hips, but im growing to like them :biggrin: i dont think anyone notices, except yourself... the person with them lol.. make sense?? all hip people we should be proud and happy with our curves lol!! anyway.....
Reply 12
Mata
Me too. 5'10, size 8/10 top, 12 bottoms.

I love A-line skirts and volume - i.e. knickerbockers and puffball skirts (though you might want to go for a less wacky version of these). I never wear *anything* high-waisted as it just makes your thighs and hips look massive. Low waists, A-line or volumous skirts etc. But if you're not strictly 'large' then you might be able to be more adventurous with colour, I certainly don't limit myself to dark and patternless and it seems to work.

high waist makes the hips look bigger?... might have to try that :wink:
Reply 13
Thanks everyone! Next time I'm out shopping I think I'll try on loadsa different styles of clothes. I'm not normally a skirt person, so I'll think I'll treat myself to a whole new outfit!
LilyKM
I have the exact same problem as I am 5foot8 and a 12 on the bottom but an 8 on top. so I would suggest Dark colours...It is best to wear darker and plain colours on the bottom half if you have bigger hips and then wear something more colourful or patterned on top. Darker colours are always more slimming.

I quite like the wide legged cropped trousers which are really in at the moment, because they make your legs look more in proportion to your hips, but avoid horizontal stripes

Opt for A-line skirts and bootleg trousers that balance out the hips and thighs, and skirts or dresses with a frilled hem are a flattering choice.

A-line skirts are awesome because they just skim over the body and look amazing!!! They are the most fantastic skirt cut!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
breeeza
to be honest

without a nice set of curvy hips, a females body (in my humble opinion) has no shape!

like a nice pair of hips on a lass...... :wink:

So refreshing. I think you have just boosted loads of esteems! :cool:

Latest