The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lit2010

i'd tell you mr cat, but apparently you're deaf....
fabregassed
what did you get for the genetic engineering question where the plants grow slower?

is it to do with protein synthesis using energy so theres less energy for growth?

Something along those lines, yeah.
now here comes the essay, but atleast they'll have less how science works in unit 5 ( hopefully)
Reply 183
fabregassed

hahahahahahah

I'm still puzzled as to why they specified the scientist was Sri Lankan though haha.
I HATE SRI LANKAN SCIENTISTS NOW!!! first shrews now them?!
Reply 185
hopefully if evryone has still found this one hard, the grade borders will be pretty low. HOPEFULLY. Lots of wishy-washy questions though. What was the whale question all about!?
fabregassed

Epic.
Reply 187
Ollie53
hahahahahahah

I'm still puzzled as to why they specified the scientist was Sri Lankan though haha.

I wondered that!
Yagami
Would you lose marks for leaving it as 0.4422? Instead of as a percentage.

Yes :/.

It specifically asked for a percentage. Leaving it as 0.4422 is a frequency. They've penalised in the past for stuff like that. Stodgy bastards.
SheffDon
hopefully if evryone has still found this one hard, the grade borders will be pretty low. HOPEFULLY. Lots of wishy-washy questions though. What was the whale question all about!?

think you had so say that the dna was unique so you could use this equation:

skin samples 1 X skin samples 2/ matching dna
SheffDon

Lets hope!
For the whale one i put that because the DNA was all specific to each whale it meant the whales could be individually identified so you could use mark release recapture on them etcc...but if thats right, who knowss :o:
Reply 191
TwilightKnight
Yes :/.

It specifically asked for a percentage. Leaving it as 0.4422 is a frequency. They've penalised in the past for stuff like that. Stodgy bastards.

Meh.

59 for mark release recapture calculation?
didnt get 44.22 i got something like 48/49%. whats ur workings? mine was p^2 = 0.33 so p= root(0.33). and q is = 1-p so q= 1-root(0.33).
and they wanted the heterozygous ones. so thats 2pq part.

2*(root(0.33)*(1-root0.33)=approx= 2*0.57*0.43 = 0.485... so 0.49 = 49%

i hope im right? did anyone else get similar..?
Reply 193
Reply 194
yeh i put about DNA being unique and that..
tough paper though, always come out of bilogy exams thinking i've done poor though because of a lot of the questions being to vague, and not specifically science based.
fabregassed
think you had so say that the dna was unique so you could use this equation:

skin samples 1 X skin samples 2/ matching dna

Yes this is what i put :smile: find it hard to explain...
Reply 196
very first question, will you get the maek for just putting nitrate?
or would it have to be ammonia?
funkmaster39
didnt get 44.22 i got something like 48/49%. whats ur workings? mine was p^2 = 0.33 so p= root(0.33). and q is = 1-p so q= 1-root(0.33).

Yep I know I got 40 something % and i did the same working out :smile:
funkmaster39

I got this :biggrin:
SheffDon
very first question, will you get the maek for just putting nitrate?
or would it have to be ammonia?

It said in the question after that the enzyme can only function in anaerobic conditions, so it really could only be NH4+/NH3.

Latest

Trending

Trending