The Student Room Group
Reply 1
feeling good
Hey. Is there a big jump in the amount of work/ toughness of the work between AS Maths and A2 maths?

Just wondering because I was 2 marks off an A in edexcel AS maths and was planning to take it next year.

Very big jump..even bigger now because they have introduced C modules to replace P1 at AS, it hits you very bad in the 2nd year. HOWEVER that said..nothings impossible. I had 240/300 for the AS, and still managed to scrape an A at A2. Just make sure you resit the modules and get 90%+ in them. All i know is C4/P3 is very very hard so its best to try and ace the other modules to compensate for that..

Good Luck..
Reply 2
Godmaster
Very big jump..even bigger now because they have introduced C modules to replace P1 at AS, it hits you very bad in the 2nd year. HOWEVER that said..nothings impossible. I had 240/300 for the AS, and still managed to scrape an A at A2. Just make sure you resit the modules and get 90%+ in them. All i know is C4/P3 is very very hard so its best to try and ace the other modules to compensate for that..

Good Luck..

Yep resitting D1 and C2 to up the marks. Reckon I could get at least a B if I put in the work.

Well done on Law at Cambridge- you must have worked bloody hard :biggrin: . I'm aiming for Law at Kings...
Reply 3
I got a D at AS originally. At A Level overall I got a B, although I averaged an A in year 13. (was the 60 in stats that scuppered it for me :mad: ).Trick is to do some good resits in January and get as many 'easy' marks as possible. I found yr13 easier as I understood the work, but you HAVE to work hard, especially at C4. If you just missed an A at AS you'll be fine, just never fall into the trap of complacency. Good luck!
There isn't much difference, Maths is maths, you learn more techniques which would allow you to tackle more complex questions.
Reply 5
You will find that as you progress through your A2 year the maths becomes more abstract, making it harder to relate some of the topics with anything. For instance, nearly everyone found vectors extremely tough because dealing with things in three dimensions is very hard to grasp for most people.

Also, be worried if you're not good at integration as it becomes a real mother and is a definite grade-decider later on.
Reply 6
i thought it was a big jump too, i got on with p3 fine, but s2 and s3 were just another thing. hated them! but P3 was challenging. loads of people gave up. it takes up alot of time too.
I hated S2.
Reply 8
Hopefully D2 and C3 will be alright so i can cover my self when it comes to C4.
Reply 9
C3 is fairly nice I think. The trigonometry is difficult at first, along with the integration. But the rest of it is all just paddin. Lots of stuff you've done before with just a little extra. Like in the Logs but they only introduce a new base. That's it.

I don't know about D2.

You shouldn't need to cover yourself really anyway, because C4 is harder for everyone. This gave a lower grade boundary (by about 10 marks) for A compared to C1/C2/C3 this June. So although it is tough you can still get really good UMS scores.
Yeah, like others have said, things take a definite step up in difficulty once it gets to A2, C4 especially, but as samd said, everyone finds it harder, so it all balances out in the end.
i didn't see any difference between as and a2 mathematics. i don't think the work was any harder, it was just that you were doing different things, such as more integration, and less of the summing series and other stuff from p1. i think you will be fine, and resitting the exams you did to boost marks doesn't require any extra effort, but will almost certainly help you, as you have a year's more mathematical cunning under your belt! hope it works out! :smile:
pratikv
i didn't see any difference between as and a2 mathematics. i don't think the work was any harder, it was just that you were doing different things, such as more integration, and less of the summing series and other stuff from p1. i think you will be fine, and resitting the exams you did to boost marks doesn't require any extra effort, but will almost certainly help you, as you have a year's more mathematical cunning under your belt! hope it works out! :smile:

I think you went to my school. :p:

Latest