The Student Room Group

An education system based upon how much mummy and daddy earn NOT academic ability?

Scroll to see replies

Miss_Scarlett
It surely depends on the course which one is studying. i am fortunate enough to be studying medicine and I have learnt first hand how extra costs can soon mount up. Especially when the course is 5 years long. Travel costs to and from your outblocks are no longer covered.

The fee loan is a pittance and barely covers the requirements. Not only that it's the principle that people are going to think "If its going to cost 100k i wont bother" its dissuading people from education because they are grossly off put by the enormous monetary cost.

Exactly
People are going to be really put off by the cost. So they wont go.
Don't blame me; I voted Labour
It's silly tbh because most people arguing are in Uni and will not face these high fees.

Although it's pretty irrelevant I hope Uni's don't start drastically changing accommodation prices. I know that prices everywhere are going to increase no matter what, however the maintenance loan and grant probably won't increase. Some kids (mainly middle class) won't be getting a full loan or a grant at all. I don't understand the logic behind assuming that if your parent earn slightly more money, they can just hand out a few grand here and there, at any time. Loans don't cover much at all. And I can see part time jobs becoming less and less.

/whine
(edited 13 years ago)
Horatio-
It's silly tbh because most people arguing are in Uni and will not face these high fees.

Although it's pretty irrelevant I hope Uni's don't start drastically changing accommodation prices. I know that prices everywhere are going to increase no matter what, however the maintenance loan and grant probably won't increase. Some kids (mainly middle class) won't be getting a full loan or a grant at all. I don't understand the logic behind assuming that if your parent earn slightly more money, they can just hand out a few grand here and there, at any time. Loans don't cover much at all. And I can see part time jobs becoming less and less.

/whine

That's true, but my brother will be affected. So although it won't affect me personally, I do take a large interest in it
Mann18
This year, the syllabus in my Philosophy class was pretty much tweaked, but my Buddhism class' was totally different, like 7 new topics.

It is impossible to deny that it is HARDER for students from poorer colleges to get good A-level grades. It is HARDER for one to do everything by themselves than have it spoon fed.

I don't buy this whole "your attitude" thing. I agree, with enough work, you can excel, but I would say that BBB at a crappy college somewhere in London from a low income background is better than the AAA someone gets from Eton.

I have to agree with this.

Yes attitude and hard work is important.

But schools, environment, family background etc all come to into play. Having a smartboard isn't a useful resource. Better schools and colleges are usually not only filled with students of the same mindset but teachers who have the experience, depth and passion needed to teach subjects.

Forget the whole independent learning spiel. It's important to be able to work by yourself and find information by yourself but no one goes into college or sixth form to learn by themselves. They go so that someone with more knowledge than them, can assist them in their learning. I am pretty lucky to get some teachers who have passion for their subjects and encourage me. I am also lucky enough to have parents who also fully support my education.

Not everyone's family is like this. Yeah you hear the few hollywood stories on some kid in the ghetto raising up etc. But here's the deal. Not everyone is able to afford tutors, revision guides, extra reading study, able to print of revision notes, able to get to a library. It's not reality. So sitting on a high horse doesn't really give you must reliability.

There are people who struggle for their grades and others who don't have to struggle as much. Sure, there isn't tonnes you can do about it, but I wouldn't go around calling all poor people with lower grades, lazy.

Another reason why politicians bug me. They're making decisions for the general public yet they themselves has no idea what being the general public is.
Reply 105
.Ali.
If they 'just couldn't care less', then that's their problem. We have scholarships to independant schools, they could apply.

No you don't. There are benefits to support the poor, no one 'needs' to get a job. Surely your parents would want you to get your education more.

Yes they do, anyone can be anything if they want to be. A lot of people have a job while at uni. It's not impossible. If you're too short-sighted to see that, then that's too bad.

There are barely any independant schools that offer 100% scholarships.
Reply 106
RollerBall
Then why do the crappy inner London schools that get absolutly plowed with funding and multi million equipment upgrades still fail to perform?

It is harder yes, but it's nowhere near impossible. The attitude of the student has a much, much, much greater effect on their study.

What kind of background does the student from a low income area have?

Do they typically have friends that want to excel as well?
Do they have goals that are high, or do they see what their parents have and think that's normal?

Attitude is something that emerges from circumstance, not something that one can manipulate autonomously usually, or at least long term.
Reply 107
Mann18

Do they have goals that are high, or do they see what their parents have and think that's normal?

Attitude is something that emerges from circumstance, not something that one can manipulate autonomously usually, or at least long term.

exactly, if you are going to get it absolutely ripped out of you for being a geek if you attempt to work hard then why would you even try? Plus if you are put in a disruptive class then its nearly impossible to learn if the teacher spends most of their time attempting to control others. It's all very well people saying "teach yourself" but what 13/14 year old is going to go home and learn the syllabus on their own? Therefore they get bad GCSE's and can't succeed in A levels.
Cameron doesn't like poor people.

If the fee's go up less people in those circumstances will apply, which I reckon already happens alot. You can say oh yer its all free till later in life etc. For people that don't have mummy and daddy to pay their loans off and a big inheritance, its going to be a stuggle for the majority of their lives. Some people may think....is the prospect of having a degree and possibly ending up in an average 9-5 worth a life of debt when theres bills, mortgages and family to pay for, which all make paying it off harder....hmm
Reply 109
.Ali.
I'd actually say it's harder for someone from my background, as the really poor people get grants.

My parents have to pay high rate tax, child benefit will be cut in 2013, and pay more towards my university costs. I don't get grants or anything.

It's also buggered up my plan a bit, I was going to take a loan anyway and leave my trust fund in the bank, gaining intrest, and then pay off the loan as soon as I get out. I'm not sure I can fully pay for it myself anymore.

I still think this is much better than a graduate tax, though personally I'd favour aboloshing mickey mouse degrees like Health and Social care, Media etc (no offence to anyone taking these!) and making unis purely academic once more.

Ah, your poor trust fund. ******.
Miss_Scarlett
Thank you. Finally someone who is seeing the other side of this.

Also major respect to you for your part time job, I know there is absolutely no way I could do what you are doing. Medicine is exhausting enough.

Tell me about it. I'm only a fresher and I keep dozing off in lectures even with 8 hours of sleep.

I find I can keep myself awake if I imagine Prof Peterson headbutting my classmates *sniff*.
Reply 111
I don't have the time to read all the posts but I agree with those who say it is about attitude, not necessarily the school. People who end up attended dodgy schools have had it drilled into them that because of that they are doomed to failure and may as well give up, if they were instead taught that they can make a difference they might.

Plus no matter how we try, life is inherently unfair, the only way to truly stop that is hard work. I was born ugly, doesn't mean I expect the government to put me on a level playing field with everyone else, but perhaps if I put the work in and earn some money I can fix it.
Mann18

So what does any of that have to do with the standard of the school? Not all bad schools are in low income areas and not all good schools are in high income areas.
Reply 113
Mann18
Well, the point that private colleges make it easier to excel still stands.

Absolutely, HOWEVER the fact that it's not school resources that ultimately determine your grade means that the poor school students CAN match the private school students, they just need to work harder for it (and the universities aren't stupid, they know that getting AAA from Larkhall Academy requires more independent work than would be required at say Eton).
Reply 114
Miss_Scarlett
That's true, but my brother will be affected. So although it won't affect me personally, I do take a large interest in it

Me too, I have two little sisters who will probably be affected by this. One of them will be a fresher when I'm in my 4th year, and I know my parents would struggle to support us both, especially if she's paying more.

By the way, theres no guarantee yet that the government's support system will give out student loans up to the 12k some institutions may ask for. I read (I think on BBC) that the first 3.5k will be available to everyone, with another 3.5k or so means tested.

So either way, you may have to pay up front to go to a top university. Even if you don't, the interest rates mean that your degree is essentially worth less as you will lose more of your hard-earned salary over your lifetime paying off that loan. Not to mention the fact that your degree will be worth less because you had to pick a "2nd division" uni because Oxbridge fired their fees straight up to 12k and you were put off by that.

Don't buy any of the rubbish that "not all unis will charge the highest fee" either - they said that when it was raised to 3k and 90% of unis went straight for the dough. Students are expendable, remember, there's plenty more young people in the pipeline after you who will be willing to pay. Sad times :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 115
tazarooni89

(Plus, the debt gets cancelled after 25 years anyway).

The debt does not get cancelled after 25 years that is the biggest load of rubbish i have heard. Look on the direct.gov.uk website. This happened many years ago but has been the case for ages, it is the same as running off to another country that also doesn't cancel the debt. I beleive it gets cancelled when you are 60.

Currently student loans take on average 12 years to pay off for men and 16 for women. This will double or triple when the fees come in. Having a huge whack of your income taken away from you for a quarter of a century will have a dramatic effect on peoples lives. The idea of getting into 30 to 50,000 pounds worth of debt will definatly put people off going into university. Debt is a chain around your neck restricting your options in life.
JMG89
The debt does not get cancelled after 25 years that is the biggest load of rubbish i have heard. Look on the direct.gov.uk website. This happened many years ago but has been the case for ages, it is the same as running off to another country that also doesn't cancel the debt. I beleive it gets cancelled when you are 60.

My bad. Cancelled when you're 60 them.

Currently student loans take on average 12 years to pay off for men and 16 for women. This will double or triple when the fees come in. Having a huge whack of your income taken away from you for a quarter of a century will have a dramatic effect on peoples lives. The idea of getting into 30 to 50,000 pounds worth of debt will definatly put people off going into university. Debt is a chain around your neck restricting your options in life.

True, but my previous point was that, while the debt will be increasing dramatically, it will increase for everyone who goes to university, regardless of how rich their parents are. And since the debt gets charged to the students themselves via PAYE, it really doesn't have anything to do with "how much mummy and daddy earn" as the OP puts it.
Reply 117
tazarooni89
My bad. Cancelled when you're 60 them.

True, but my previous point was that, while the debt will be increasing dramatically, it will increase for everyone who goes to university, regardless of how rich their parents are. And since the debt gets charged to the students themselves via PAYE, it really doesn't have anything to do with "how much mummy and daddy earn" as the OP puts it.

Except the very rich will not take the loans out, their parents will pay for it thus avoiding the extra cost and burden of the loan and interest. The way loans are now is that we only pay inflation thus our loans do not increase in real terms. The new way is that they will be charged at the government rate of borrowing plus inflation. So it will be a lowish interest rate but still you are paying interest, the amount of money is getting bigger in real terms. If i didnt earn 21000 for 10 years after graduation i would have a heck of a big debt to deal with and probably wouldn't tpay it off until i was 50 thus restricting my choices in life.
Reply 118
This idea of vince cable's that he will stop quick repayment is ridiculous. The rich won't take the loans out in the bloody first place and he can't make them
JMG89
Except the very rich will not take the loans out, their parents will pay for it thus avoiding the extra cost and burden of the loan and interest.

The way loans are now is that we only pay inflation thus our loans do not increase in real terms. The new way is that they will be charged at the government rate of borrowing plus inflation. So it will be a lowish interest rate but still you are paying interest, the amount of money is getting bigger in real terms. If i didnt earn 21000 for 10 years after graduation i would have a heck of a big debt to deal with and probably wouldn't tpay it off until i was 50 thus restricting my choices in life.

The reason say, high school fees in private schools is based upon "how much mummy and daddy earn" is because an academically able person may not be able to go, simply because their parents can't afford it. The difference in the case of university is that, even if your parents can't afford it, it doesn't matter. You can still go to university by paying for it yourself after you've graduated. So even if the tuition fees are high, that doesn't mean it's negatively affecting those with poor parents.

Those with rich parents willing to present them with 21k for free are just lucky to have an added bonus. But that's their own personal issue. Very rich people have their parents pay for tuition fees already anyway. I don't see why this is of any concern to those who don't have rich parents. (If anything, an increase in tuition fees should reduce the number of people able to get their parents to pick up the tab.)

I agree with your second paragraph - however, that is to do with how much you are earning rather than how much your parents earn. Perhaps it'll simply provide an incentive for those attending university on loans to make full use of their degree and seek a well paying job after it, and dissuade them from going to university if they're only going to be taking David Beckham studies and not something which will be worthwhile in future.

A person with poor parents cannot say "My parents couldn't afford university, otherwise I would have gone because I'm academically gifted enough".
If they were academically gifted enough, they should have no trouble getting a degree through a loan, and getting a good job. People without rich parents may have the added financial responsibility of paying back their loan once they start work, which children of very rich parents would not have. But surely this shouldn't prevent poorer students from actually getting into university in the first place. Even with the debt, they'd still have more earning potential than they would have otherwise had without a degree (if it is in fact, a worthwhile degree).
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending