The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Medical Degree Apprenticeship

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aaaadammmm
What do you guys think of the medicine apprenticeship that is being made ? Personally I think it’s **** and unfair for people in medical school as they are racking up £45,000+ of debt to get a high value of knowledge while someone who is doing an apprenticeship is just gonna walk around a hospital watching without any knowledge on what’s going on and why

For now I think its an excellent fantasy escape option for breaks between UCAT practise madness! LOL
Reply 2
What do you guys think of the medicine apprenticeship that is being made ? Personally I think it’s **** and unfair for people in medical school as they are racking up £45,000+ of debt to get a high value of knowledge while someone who is doing an apprenticeship is just gonna walk around a hospital watching without any knowledge on what’s going on and why

this is a very privileged mindset. a lot of people drop out of med school because it is too expensive and pushes them out, apprenticeships are made so people can earn on the job and since medicine is so practical what better way to learn than to witness first hand (alongside classroom learning of course). i think it's a great idea, don't go to med school if you dont want to but dont s**t on the value of apprenticeships because u think you're superior

I've spoken with some healthcare professionals, and while I have no clue what the general thoughts are, I do know that the ones I spoke to saw it as a positive as they always questioned why they received so many essays and so little clinical exposure (typically start proper clinical work in year 3, you can tell whether a year is considered clinical based on the cost for international students). Compare it to Dentistry, which doesn't have any (mandatory) foundation years and starts clinical work in the 2nd year of the course despite teaching the same topics as Medicine (and other degrees) early on.

Apprenticeships for lots of subjects with university degrees exist, and Degree Apprenticeships are a type of apprenticeship. The lack of debt is a benefit and one of the reasons apprenticeships are sought after and competitive. The people with the apprenticeship will be no less, or not significantly less, knowledgeable than someone who graduated from University, as they will still have to learn the topics as well (for most degree apprenticeships, what you're taught at the actual university is dependent on what you're currently doing at work. I don't know the full details of the medical apprenticeship programme that is in the works and how similar or different it will be.).

The HPs I spoke to thought that the greater clinical exposure from an apprenticeship would make them better doctors when they finish their programme than someone who finishes the normal degree programme. I personally think a degree would be more useful for those who wish to go into research.

While I again confess I don't know an extreme amount about the programme, I think you're highly mistaken on the apprenticeship just being watching people in a hospital setting -- that's work experience (or work shadowing in this case). You'll be taught and it might even be more intensive than a normal medical degree, since degree apprenticeships in general can be considered as such compared to the respective normal degree (as you're both working and at university at the same time! Even less social life).

Also you underestimate how competitive a degree apprenticeship is. They are highly desirable for a lot of applicants, with much less places available.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by A.B72
this is a very privileged mindset. a lot of people drop out of med school because it is too expensive and pushes them out, apprenticeships are made so people can earn on the job and since medicine is so practical what better way to learn than to witness first hand (alongside classroom learning of course). i think it's a great idea, don't go to med school if you dont want to but dont s**t on the value of apprenticeships because u think you're superior

The problem is - we already learn first hand on apprenticeship model for 3 years of the degree. But we don't get paid.
It's inherently unfair to have a system where a few lucky people get paid to learn, and everyone else pays £45k+. And it won't necessarily help social mobility - the paid places will become insanely competitive, and even if they have widening participation criteria attached, many students won't get on to them and still be 'priced out' of medicine. Instead they could use the funding to top up the NHS bursary in 5th and 6th year, for example.

I completely agree that medicine can be far too expensive to study but there are better ways to support people short-term, and I'm not seeing convincing evidence that the apprenticeship system will work long term, especially if it creates a two tier system.
https://www.hee.nhs.uk/news-blogs-events/news/new-medical-doctor-degree-apprenticeship-launched-delivering-more-representative-workforce-local?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Orlo

This should be interesting to see what will happen. I know that pre-pandemic, there was discussions of a conversion course for pharmacists, physios and some nurses (essentially condensed MBBS over 3 years minus some aspects covered in prior degrees) which was due to launch between 2022 and 2024,HOWEVER, that appears to have gone under the radar / gmc and gphc seem to be non-responsive to it.

In the past, pre-war era, a lot of degrees were degree apprenticeships / med schools were literally hospitals. In a way, it is kinda going back to its routes but more inclusive. On the otherhand, it can create issues.

In anycase, shpuld be curious to see people's views on it
Isn't this just a massive slap in the face to those students from widening participation backgrounds who've gone through the medical degree route and come out the other end with tens of thousands of pounds of debt?

Medical degree costing you > £9000 a year vs. medical degree that pays you £27,000 a year.

As a mature student from a widening participation background due to start GEM in September, this is just incredibly depressing to read honestly. I'm all for closing the gap and allowing everyone the opportunity to study medicine but this isn't the way in my opinion. It just devalues a UK medical degree.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. Will those apprentices be guaranteed an FY job at the trust they did their apprenticeship? Will they find it harder to find an FY job? Only time will tell I guess.

Also, is there a caveat that you have to be from a widening participation background in order to apply? Otherwise, what's stopping rich kids from applying hiking up the entrance requirements, and making it exactly the same as applying for a regular medical degree?
(edited 1 year ago)
The other thing is that it may lead to people being stuck in the NHS through not having an internationally recognised qualification. Good in that it stops people leaving but that massively reduces people's flexibility and isn't very fair if it's a route pushed onto lower income students
Original post by quasa
https://www.hee.nhs.uk/news-blogs-events/news/new-medical-doctor-degree-apprenticeship-launched-delivering-more-representative-workforce-local?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Orlo

This should be interesting to see what will happen. I know that pre-pandemic, there was discussions of a conversion course for pharmacists, physios and some nurses (essentially condensed MBBS over 3 years minus some aspects covered in prior degrees) which was due to launch between 2022 and 2024,HOWEVER, that appears to have gone under the radar / gmc and gphc seem to be non-responsive to it.

In the past, pre-war era, a lot of degrees were degree apprenticeships / med schools were literally hospitals. In a way, it is kinda going back to its routes but more inclusive. On the otherhand, it can create issues.

In anycase, shpuld be curious to see people's views on it

As mentioned, I'm very worried about that fact that it will allow some to be paid to get a medical degree, while others have to go into debt to obtain one. I presume it will be insanely competitive to get onto a degree apprenticeship, considering how competitive standard entry medicine is, so I'd like to know more about how they are going to make it fair. Maybe it will only be open to the most disadvantaged students? Maybe it will only be open to disadvantaged students who have also attained amazing A levels and UCAT scores etc? Even if the programme prioritises the worst-off applicants, those students who cannot afford to study a standard medical degree but are not quite disadvantaged enough for a sport will be worst affected. In addition, the fact that funding may be put into this (paying students to get a med degree) instead of supporting existing students who are struggling financially angers me, since there are many med students who have to discontinue the course because they can't afford it, students that would make perfectly good doctors and are already on their way to their degree, but can't achieve it due to being neglected in favour of this apprenticeship. The money spent on funding the development of this program and funding the places on it could be used to increase the NHS bursary or increase the amount of financial support unis can offer to ensure existing medical students are able to graduate.
Original post by medicphd
Isn't this just a massive slap in the face to those students from widening participation backgrounds who've gone through the medical degree route and come out the other end with tens of thousands of pounds of debt?

Medical degree costing you > £9000 a year vs. medical degree that pays you £27,000 a year.

As a mature student from a widening participation background due to start GEM in September, this is just incredibly depressing to read honestly. I'm all for closing the gap and allowing everyone the opportunity to study medicine but this isn't the way in my opinion. It just devalues a UK medical degree.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. Will those apprentices be guaranteed an FY job at the trust they did their apprenticeship? Will they find it harder to find an FY job? Only time will tell I guess.

Also, is there a caveat that you have to be from a widening participation background in order to apply? Otherwise, what's stopping rich kids from applying hiking up the entrance requirements, and making it exactly the same as applying for a regular medical degree?

More likely it will increase pay up to £27k over the course of the apprenticeship, while paying the minimum apprenticeship wage at the start (which is very low, something like £12k a year). Also bear in mind student finance "debt" is amortized across your career and so the only point at which you are "paying" for it is when you're earning enough that it doesn't matter. It's really just a purely abstract objection as a result.

Practically the benefit of this I could see would be for would-be GEM applicants who can't afford the second degree with minimal/no funding, or for those already working in the NHS who don't want to have a big career gap where they have to go and be a student again without working and earning (which may overlap with the first group as well). For school leavers it doesn't seem to be as beneficial.

Since the point of it seems to be that they earn a medical degree through a participating medical school, foundation allocation would presumably be no different to what it is now (or planned to be, rather, with the introduction of the UKMLA)? I guess it is probably more service provision oriented - might just end up being 5 years of foundation work minus prescribing or something? I think someone pointed out it's more likely to "lock" the ex-apprentices into the NHS as it may not be recognised overseas which again, benefits service provision by creating basically false retention.

and @GANFYD be interesting to see your thoughts on how this would work out for those on the apprenticeship :smile: I wonder if there would be stigma against the apprentices by other doctors who went the "traditional" degree route, even if the outcomes for both end up being the same in terms of clinical knowledge etc?
Original post by artful_lounger
More likely it will increase pay up to £27k over the course of the apprenticeship, while paying the minimum apprenticeship wage at the start (which is very low, something like £12k a year). Also bear in mind student finance "debt" is amortized across your career and so the only point at which you are "paying" for it is when you're earning enough that it doesn't matter. It's really just a purely abstract objection as a result.

Practically the benefit of this I could see would be for would-be GEM applicants who can't afford the second degree with minimal/no funding, or for those already working in the NHS who don't want to have a big career gap where they have to go and be a student again without working and earning (which may overlap with the first group as well). For school leavers it doesn't seem to be as beneficial.

Since the point of it seems to be that they earn a medical degree through a participating medical school, foundation allocation would presumably be no different to what it is now (or planned to be, rather, with the introduction of the UKMLA)? I guess it is probably more service provision oriented - might just end up being 5 years of foundation work minus prescribing or something? I think someone pointed out it's more likely to "lock" the ex-apprentices into the NHS as it may not be recognised overseas which again, benefits service provision by creating basically false retention.

But what exactly is the point? Why not just fund medical school places properly? Increase GEM places, increase bursaries. Don't create further divides in a profession that's already faltering.

It's also disadvantaging those students who's only option will be the apprenticeship. They'll be stuck in the UK, because I doubt the degree will be recognised internationally. That's not widening participation, that's trapping people into a system that's slowly dying.

And IMO, it doesn't matter if student debt isn't a traditional 'debt', it's extra money going out of your paycheque that won't be going out of the apprentices cheques.
But what exactly is the point? Why not just fund medical school places properly? Increase GEM places, increase bursaries. Don't create further divides in a profession that's already faltering.

It's also disadvantaging those students who's only option will be the apprenticeship. They'll be stuck in the UK, because I doubt the degree will be recognised internationally. That's not widening participation, that's trapping people into a system that's slowly dying.

And IMO, it doesn't matter if student debt isn't a traditional 'debt', it's extra money going out of your paycheque that won't be going out of the apprentices cheques.

I'm guessing the rationale is something along the lines of, medicine as a degree is already incredibly competitive with more people applying than places. They can expand places to a point but medical schools still need to have capacity to take on those extra places, and hospitals etc need capacity to take on the students on placement who aren't providing service provision. So increasing places is probably a lot more complicated and possible not feasible (financially or practically), and adding extra bursaries for medics (similar to AHPs currently have) will just attract even MORE people to apply making it even more competitive (and quite possibly, harder to differentiate between applicants effectively).

By creating this as a "new route" they avoid "clogging the pipeline" of traditional medicine applications. Additionally by having them be apprentices who are actually working and providing service provision, I'm guessing the rationale is that the cost of the clinical placements is balanced by the value of the service provision by the apprentices (which will probably be worth more than they get paid!).

As for disadvantaging them, probably a matter of perspective/opinion. Some might be perfectly happy to remain in the NHS - especially for example mature students with families etc, who are less able/likely to make large moves abroad to work somewhere else internationally. The state of the NHS is really a separate issue which needs to be addressed but whether they do or don't introduce this doesn't change that (it might not even be the same leadership teams making decisions for each matter).

And it does matter that it isn't "real" debt. Paying a couple hundred a month to SFE when you're earning a couple thousand a month, but only paying a tenner or nothing if you're just scraping by is very different to having to pay a couple hundred a month regardless of what your income is. You cannot ignore context like that. And the apprentices have other disadvantages potentially you already mentioned...so it's a moot point and just complaining "well I had to do this so nobody gets a better deal than me!" which is unhelpful to everyone. It's the same situation in the US where they refuse to do any student debt forgiveness (despite the fact there repayments AREN'T based on your income and debt levels are typically higher, and they can and will sell your student debt to a debt management company) because "well I paid off my debts from when I went to uni in the 50s so why should todays kids get it paid off?" despite it crippling the US economy.

In any case I'm certainly not saying it's the best thing since sliced bread but I do think at least some of the criticisms of it raised so far are not bona fide. I think the debt issue is totally a non-issue and is really more than a little disingenuous, especially when there are other more legitimate concerns - like granted the fact they may be "locked into" the NHS is a potential problem overall (but may not be a problem for the group of applicants they are hoping to attract, potentially). Likewise 5 years of service provision possibly doing all really crappy jobs before having to do 2 more years of the same in foundation may end up causing more problems than it solves if it leads to poor retention/high burnout.
(edited 1 year ago)

It is unfair. But its also unfair for those doing a BSc or BA in other subjects while some students get to do an apprenticeship
I'm guessing the rationale is something along the lines of, medicine as a degree is already incredibly competitive with more people applying than places. They can expand places to a point but medical schools still need to have capacity to take on those extra places, and hospitals etc need capacity to take on the students on placement who aren't providing service provision. So increasing places is probably a lot more complicated and possible not feasible (financially or practically), and adding extra bursaries for medics (similar to AHPs currently have) will just attract even MORE people to apply making it even more competitive (and quite possibly, harder to differentiate between applicants effectively).

By creating this as a "new route" they avoid "clogging the pipeline" of traditional medicine applications. Additionally by having them be apprentices who are actually working and providing service provision, I'm guessing the rationale is that the cost of the clinical placements is balanced by the value of the service provision by the apprentices (which will probably be worth more than they get paid!).

As for disadvantaging them, probably a matter of perspective/opinion. Some might be perfectly happy to remain in the NHS - especially for example mature students with families etc, who are less able/likely to make large moves abroad to work somewhere else internationally. The state of the NHS is really a separate issue which needs to be addressed but whether they do or don't introduce this doesn't change that (it might not even be the same leadership teams making decisions for each matter).

And it does matter that it isn't "real" debt. Paying a couple hundred a month to SFE when you're earning a couple thousand a month, but only paying a tenner or nothing if you're just scraping by is very different to having to pay a couple hundred a month regardless of what your income is. You cannot ignore context like that. And the apprentices have other disadvantages potentially you already mentioned...so it's a moot point and just complaining "well I had to do this so nobody gets a better deal than me!" which is unhelpful to everyone. It's the same situation in the US where they refuse to do any student debt forgiveness (despite the fact there repayments AREN'T based on your income and debt levels are typically higher, and they can and will sell your student debt to a debt management company) because "well I paid off my debts from when I went to uni in the 50s so why should todays kids get it paid off?" despite it crippling the US economy.

In any case I'm certainly not saying it's the best thing since sliced bread but I do think at least some of the criticisms of it raised so far are not bona fide.

I get the service provision thing, but doesn't that show that the quality of the medics coming out will be worse? How can you possibly provide service provision alongside a regular medical degree in the same amount of time? Working, revising, attending lectures/prossection/dissection/placements in 5 years just doesn't sound feasible unless they're going to lower the level of education they provide on the apprenticeship.

That also raises the point of, who exactly is going to be teaching these people? Med students/junior docs find it hard on placements now, but add in another group of people who need to be taught by seniors and that just worsens the problem.

I don't mean to ignore the context of student finance, of course it being based on income is a caveat. But that doesn't change the fact that people from widening participation backgrounds will likely still be applying to traditional medicine (there don't seem to be many apprentice places). So then you've got people from similar backgrounds with very different incomes.
(edited 1 year ago)
I get the service provision thing, but doesn't that show that the quality of the medics coming out will be worse? How can you possibly provide service provision alongside a regular medical degree in the same amount of time? Working, revising, attending lectures/prossection/dissection/placements in 5 years just doesn't sound feasible unless they're going to lower the level of education they provide on the apprenticeship.

That also raises the point of, who exactly is going to be teaching these people? Med students/junior docs find it hard on placements now, but add in another group of people who need to be taught by seniors and that just worsens the problem.

I don't mean to ignore the context of student finance, of course it being based on income is a caveat. But that doesn't change the fact that people from widening participation backgrounds will likely still be applying to traditional medicine (there don't seem to be many apprentice places). So then you've got people from similar backgrounds with very different incomes.

I agree the timeline for it is a good point - it seems a lot to fit into that time! Even given they won't have uni style "breaks" in the calendar year and will just be set to whatever the minimum annual leave allowance is, it seems like a lot to fit in. Likewise the point of who is teaching them - while from a financial point of view it may be seen to balance out the cost of these placements by having them perform service provision otherwise, that doesn't create a supply of people to teach them as you note!

So it definitely does raise issues about the entire medical training model in general which as you note is an wider issue within the entire issues of the NHS. But these are probably not going to be solved (nor broken) by the introduction of this (although it may help deal with some of the symptoms of those, for better or worse). Since I don't work in the NHS it's probably harder for me to gauge the exact extent of these issues!

For the student finance thing though the point is they don't repay it until after they are earning. So they will be making those repayments after they have in theory reached a level of income parity with others through becoming a doctor. The major barrier is then not the actual cost but the perceived cost which does put a lot of applicants from lower income backgrounds off applying to uni in the first place, especially first generation to uni applicants, because they don't have the knowledge that essentially, the debt isn't real and never will affect much of anything in their life.

Given that the debt doesn't actually make a material different in a graduate's life then, having the apprenticeship route does at least serve a purpose in providing a route for those who perceive it to be an issue for one they perceive to not have that issue. Of course, improved awareness of how student finance works would achieve that much better but such things fall onto other people's shoulders in the government so naturally don't get considered in this context I guess (although SFE have recently released some comms clarifying how student loans work much better to help allay these concerns).
(edited 1 year ago)
For the student finance thing though the point is they don't repay it until after they are earning. So they will be making those repayments after they have in theory reached a level of income parity with others through becoming a doctor. The major barrier is then not the actual cost but the perceived cost which does put a lot of applicants from lower income backgrounds off applying to uni in the first place, especially first generation to uni applicants, because they don't have the knowledge that essentially, the debt isn't real and never will affect much of anything in their life.

Given that the debt doesn't actually make a material different in a graduate's life then, having the apprenticeship route does at least serve a purpose in providing a route for those who perceive it to be an issue for one they perceive to not have that issue. Of course, improved awareness of how student finance works would achieve that much better but such things fall onto other people's shoulders in the government so naturally don't get considered in this context I guess (although SFE have recently released some comms clarifying how student loans work much better to help allay these concerns).

Fair enough, I see your point about student finance debt. I do think it's still very unfair in terms of funding whilst doing the degree though. Essentially splitting up widening participation students up into 2 groups - ones who are lucky enough to get the apprenticeship and those who have had to apply for traditional medicine because there are so few apprenticeship places. The money you're given whilst doing the degree just isn't enough to survive on, so the vast majority of WP students (doing the traditional medicine route) with no family help will still be disadvantaged. It'll be interesting as well to see where these apprenticeships are, because then geography and your ability to move will also factor into whether or not you can do the apprenticeship. And the demographic they're trying to cater to is likely to be less able to move easily.
(edited 1 year ago)
Fair enough, I see your point about student finance debt. I do think it's still very unfair in terms of funding whilst doing the degree though. Essentially splitting up widening participation students up into 2 groups - ones who are lucky enough to get the apprenticeship and those who have had to apply for traditional medicine because there are so few apprenticeship places. The money you're given whilst doing the degree just isn't enough to survive on, so the vast majority of WP students (doing the traditional medicine route) with no family help will still be disadvantaged. It'll be interesting as well to see where these apprenticeships are, because then geography and your ability to move will also factor into whether or not you can do the apprenticeship. And the demographic they're trying to cater to is likely to be less able to move easily.

Yeah, I do agree that the geographical factor may be an issue, and that in general the student finance model is pretty dire for everyone at the moment. Although with the funding thing, I'd note apprentices at the start of their apprenticeships also tend to get paid very little (they're legally allowed to be paid less than minimum wage) so for those from low income backgrounds they still end up with very little to go on (if they were eligible for the max maintenance loan it'd only be about 50% more over the course of a year if they are being paid the minimum apprentice wage, and they don't get the potential ability to work part-time in term or do casual full time work out of term!).

So it still does pose an economic challenge for them, however it does frontload this to the beginning of the apprenticeship, as usually apprentice wages increase each year, whereas I think medical degrees it ends up in reverse (as in clinical years I gather it's a lot harder to maintain part-time work in term time, and the NHS bursary replacing SFE funding for those years seems pretty crap unless I've misunderstood how it works!). So I guess there might be a light at the end of the tunnel sooner rather than later for those on the apprenticeship - but I still think they'd have to go through the tunnel!
(edited 1 year ago)
Yeah, I do agree that the geographical factor may be an issue, and that in general the student finance model is pretty dire for everyone at the moment. Although with the funding thing, I'd note apprentices at the start of their apprenticeships also tend to get paid very little (they're legally allowed to be paid less than minimum wage) so for those from low income backgrounds they still end up with very little to go on (if they were eligible for the max maintenance loan it'd only be about 50% more over the course of a year if they are being paid the minimum apprentice wage, and they don't get the potential ability to work part-time in term or do casual full time work out of term!).

So it still does pose an economic challenge for them, however it does frontload this to the beginning of the apprenticeship, as usually apprentice wages increase each year, whereas I think medical degrees it ends up in reverse (as in clinical years I gather it's a lot harder to maintain part-time work in term time, and the NHS bursary replacing SFE funding for those years seems pretty crap unless I've misunderstood how it works!). So I guess there might be a light at the end of the tunnel sooner rather than later for those on the apprenticeship - but I still think they'd have to go through the tunnel!

That's true, I hadn't thought about that. So then how are WP students with no family help supposed to do everything that comes with the apprenticeship and work part-time!? Not enough money at the beginning of the apprenticeship to actually live off, and not enough time to work part-time...
That's true, I hadn't thought about that. So then how are WP students with no family help supposed to do everything that comes with the apprenticeship and work part-time!? Not enough money at the beginning of the apprenticeship to actually live off, and not enough time to work part-time...

I think you've made the mistake of thinking WP students are meant to be able to do medicine... - a WP student

Yeah, it's a difficult position for apprentices - I think the assumption is most apprentices will start out living at home where they work. Not sure how this will work out with where the apprenticeships are, not to mention the possible need for them to rotate to different hospitals etc...

Of course they might pay them more from the start. I am...pessimistic about that possibility though :s-smilie:

All in all it really does sound like it's more geared towards/set up for "career changers" either within or outside the NHS as an alternative to GEM, than a new route for WP students...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending