The Student Room Group

Need advice and personal experiences please!

Hi, this has probably been answered before however i couldn't find it so i thought that i would start this thread.

Basically i finished secondary school, it was a grammar school, with not that brilliant grades. When i say not that brilliant they were awful, no one to blame but myself, i spent too much time having a laugh and now i really regret it. CDD if you want to know. As i didn't know what wanted to do i took a gap year, which i have filled with some really good experience, currently i am working at this multi-million pound property development company and after christmas i am hoping to work a couple months at a law firm followed by a month of traveling. Anyway I am applying to do business as i have a fond interest in business, however i am seriously considering to do a law conversion afterwards. I always wanted to do Law, but as you can see that i wouldn't get into anywhere which i would want to go with my grades. So what i am asking what are the processes of taking a law conversion at the end of the business degree. Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated and any personal experiences you may have would be welcomed also.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Maybe you could get onto a Law Foundation Degree with your grades in a Uni you like with a view to progress to the degree afterwards?
Reply 2
Academia is obviously not your cup of tea.
Why force yourself into it?
Find some work or something.
Reply 3
Original post by Pheebs1201
Maybe you could get onto a Law Foundation Degree with your grades in a Uni you like with a view to progress to the degree afterwards?

I haven't looked into this, how long would it take to do? Do many universities offer this? And to the other person's response, we can all make mistakes. I certainly did but now i want to get my life on track and sort it out.
Reply 4
Original post by Robfulton
I haven't looked into this, how long would it take to do? Do many universities offer this? And to the other person's response, we can all make mistakes. I certainly did but now i want to get my life on track and sort it out.

Just ignore them. I think its really great you're making an effort :smile:

I searched on UCAS for law foundation courses and found these
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QTHOCwn2A-1EttoQur7NnLFLCue8s-V06X/HAHTpage/search.HsSearch.submitForm?txtSubject=Law&cmbQual=FDG&cmbAttend=&cmbInst=&button1.x=29&button1.y=14

Even if you dont want to go to one of these unis for your whole degree, you could always apply for law once youve completed your foundation. They usually take one year to complete full time, and I think two years part time. If you notice, Durham does "Law with foundation year". This would be a good option, it would be a four year degree where the first year IS the foundation year, and passing this would probably be compulsary to continuing onto the full degree.

Hope this helped.
Reply 5
Original post by Robfulton
Hi, this has probably been answered before however i couldn't find it so i thought that i would start this thread.

Basically i finished secondary school, it was a grammar school, with not that brilliant grades. When i say not that brilliant they were awful, no one to blame but myself, i spent too much time having a laugh and now i really regret it. CDD if you want to know. As i didn't know what wanted to do i took a gap year, which i have filled with some really good experience, currently i am working at this multi-million pound property development company and after christmas i am hoping to work a couple months at a law firm followed by a month of traveling. Anyway I am applying to do business as i have a fond interest in business, however i am seriously considering to do a law conversion afterwards. I always wanted to do Law, but as you can see that i wouldn't get into anywhere which i would want to go with my grades. So what i am asking what are the processes of taking a law conversion at the end of the business degree. Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated and any personal experiences you may have would be welcomed also.

Thanks.

If you want to go into a law career you will seriously struggle with those grades, even if you get a 2.1 degree and good GDL grade. Something to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending