The Student Room Group

Why is rubisco the most important enzyme on earth?

Suggest why rubisco is described as the most important enzyme on earth?

With out the enzyme rubisco the RuBP and Co2 from the calvin cycle would not be able to be fixed (carboxylated). This would mean no Glycerate-3-phospate (GP) or Triose Phosphate (TP) would be made. This leading to no Carbohydrates (glucose), Lipids (Fatty acids and glycerol), Proteins (Amino acids), Nucleic acids or Vitamins. Therefore both Autotrophes and Hetrotropes would no longer exist.

Is this ok or do I need to thin it down abit?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by gerrard1892

With out the enzyme rubisco the RuBP and Co2 from the calvin cycle would not be able to be fixed (carboxylated). This would mean no Glycerate-3-phospate (GP) or Triose Phosphate (TP) would be made. This leading to no Carbohydrates (glucose), Lipids (Fatty acids and glycerol), Proteins (Amino acids), Nucleic acids or Vitamins. Therefore both Autotrophes and Hetrotropes would no longer exist.

Seems fine to me. Basically carbon dioxide wouldn't be fixed so as you say, no autotrophs=no heterotrophs :-)
Reply 2

You've said, 'NO GP or TP will be made' this surely not true? Enzyme only speeds up the reaction. It means theyd be a slower rate of reaction there. Wouldn't it be not enough GP/TP is produced to satifisy the needs of the plants for the production of glucose etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
It's a good answer, but this bit:

This would mean no Glycerate-3-phospate (GP) or Triose Phosphate (TP) would be made. This leading to no Carbohydrates (glucose), Lipids (Fatty acids and glycerol), Proteins (Amino acids), Nucleic acids or Vitamins.

is veering a little bit off topic. Without rubisco, carbon couldn't be fixed from CO2, so most carbon-based life would be improbable. That's it.
Original post by Medicz

Original post by Medicz
You've said, 'NO GP or TP will be made' this surely not true? Enzyme only speeds up the reaction. It means theyd be a slower rate of reaction there. Wouldn't it be not enough GP/TP is produced to satifisy the needs of the plants for the production of glucose etc.

No, for all intents and purposes that is true. Enzymes drastically increase the rate of reaction, such that it is true enough to say that the reaction would not otherwise occur. For example, if you took some ATP in solution with glucose and shook vigorously for hours, you would have virtually no phosphorylated glucose at the end of it. If you however added a hexokinase, it could only be a matter of minutes before the substrate was completely depleted.

With out the enzyme rubisco the RuBP
This leading to no Carbohydrates (glucose), Lipids (Fatty acids and glycerol), Proteins (Amino acids), Nucleic acids or Vitamins. Therefore both Autotrophes and Hetrotropes would no longer exist.

I know this thread is a bit old but I'd like to pick on the 2nd bit of your statement
When you say no lipids and no proteins you gotta make sure you take into consideration of other ways of making proteins and lipids so you still might get proteins and lipids produced. :smile:

Someone please correct me if am wrong
Reply 6
How many marks is the question?
No Rubisco = carbon is not fixed = things like glucose not made and then the final bit which you said. Maybe throw in the fact that it's the most abundant protein on Earth
Reply 7
No Rubisco means that carbon is not fixed meaning that complex organic molecules are not made. However, because the process of Photosynthesis was before Respiration, Rubisco is the most important enzyme because it made organic products that could be used in respiration for nearly every living organism. To put it basically, without Rubisco, photosynthesis would not happen, without photosynthesis, respiration would not happen, a process which more or less every organism rely's on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending