The Student Room Group

A2 aqa geography june 2011 official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by In_Infamy
Could you give me an idea of a structure of a 40 marker please? :redface:

Yep :smile: I find it helps to write a teeny plan (nothing elaborate - just the main points) first.
I'll use your question as an example (The distrubution of world population is as important as the distribution of tectonic activity in predicting volcanic activity. Discuss this statement). this is a pig of a question for the record.

Always start with a brief introduction, definining any key terms in the question title - eg tectonic activity.
Then I would say what the distribution of world population is (large cities, near the coast for transport etcetc).

1st paragraph - how do we predict volcanic activity? earthquakes are often a precursor- eg eyjafjallajokull - earthquakes increased in frequency and became shallower before the eruption. Also- volcanic gas output (Lake Nyos - CO2), ground deformation (mt st helens). gps for measurements?
2nd paragraph - how does distribution of tectonic activity relate? volcanoes almost always on plate boundaries - subduction provides magma (montserrat). the exception to this is hotspots - hawaii is the obvious one. tectonic activity also includes mountain building - e.g. himilayas - but these aren't volcanic.
3rd paragraph- relation of population in predicting volcanic activity? People originally settled on plate boundaries due to the rich minerals there. Volcanoes provide fertile ash - good for farming. So people more likely to live in volcanic areas traditionally. But, just because a lot of people live in one area doesn't mean it is volcanically active.

Conclusion (if you don't write a conclusion, the maximum amount of marks you can get is 5 according to my teacher) - i dont think population is as important. tectonic activity is generally an accurate precursor to volcanic activity, especially seismic events. Although tectonic activity does not guarantee volcanic activity, it is more accurate than looking at population distribution.

This probably hasn't covered every aspect of this (horrible) question title- this is just off the top of my head. I don't think they'd actually have a question title like this, because despite being synoptic, it assumes that if you're doing tectonic stuff you also know about population.
If i think of anything else, i'll post again - feel free to ask any questions. Hope this helps!
Original post by Cam1
Can you help me on the structure of the 40 marker as well please? :smile:

see above post! i can do a generalised one if you'd like - the example i did it for then was pretty horrible!
Reply 182
Original post by katanderson

Original post by katanderson
see above post! i can do a generalised one if you'd like - the example i did it for then was pretty horrible!

sorry to be such a pain, but could you do a generalised one as well please? :smile:
Reply 183
quick question.................. is it etna that is constantly erupting or is that chaiten???
Original post by Cam1
sorry to be such a pain, but could you do a generalised one as well please? :smile:

Yep :smile:

Introduction: Define key terms in title, then briefly outline argument or explain something that is key to the question (e.g. if the title asks about volcanic/seismic events in relation to plate tectonic theory - introduction is where you put what the plate tectonics theory is) Intro shouldn't be more than 4/5 lines.

Argument: Totally up to you how to structure this, I would generally say, make a plan - with separate paragraphs for arguments/evidence for/against, or explaining different things (e.g. tectonics again - if there was a question about management, then you might have 3 paragraphs, each explaining benefits and limitations of the 3 mgmt strategies - prediction, prevention, preparation).
Don't forget: evidence/case studies - try not to be vauge. Try at the end of each paragraph to refer back to the title. Remember synopticity, so link in other topics you have done- so with tectonics, you might link development. If in doubt, use the point-evidence-explain technique so you get everything the examiner is looking for in.
Also - diagrams!!!!!! Must be relevant, but there is a separate bit of the level mark scheme thing for diagrams - so learn a few, make them relevant, label them!

CONCLUSION: Arguably the most important part - as I've said, if you don't write a conclusion, no matter how good the rest of your answer, you can only get 5/40 :O
Sum up your argument - say overall yes/no/or to some extent yes/no. Don't bring in new evidence here. Just sum up what you've said, make it clear and concise. (quite often the answer to the esssay questions is 'it depends' - so you could write 'to some extent x is better than y at z, but in other situations y is better than x - it depends on prioritiesof governments/development of country/hazard/etc')

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please just ask!
Reply 185
Just finishing up my weather & climate revision notes - I'm stumped for pollution reduction policies case studies, there's bugger all in the Nelson Thornes book AND nothing in the Collins revision guide except for the rather handy note 'The specification requires knowledge of pollution reduction policies in urban areas'.

Anybody got any case studies for this?! I can't seem to find anything useful online :frown:
Reply 186
Just wondering what case study people are using for Suburbanisation in World Cities and the notes/key points that people have for that case study? I have Rio de Janeiro, and the suburbanisation into Barra da Tijuca/Jacarepagau, but it isn't the best case study in terms of showing the characteristics of typical suburbanisation?
Reply 187
Original post by JackT180
Just wondering what case study people are using for Suburbanisation in World Cities and the notes/key points that people have for that case study? I have Rio de Janeiro, and the suburbanisation into Barra da Tijuca/Jacarepagau, but it isn't the best case study in terms of showing the characteristics of typical suburbanisation?

My teacher taught us our own cities (liverpool in my case) for suburbanisation case studies. :smile:
Reply 188

You could do Mumbai where transport infrastructure and migration has caused suburbanisation
Reply 189

We did our local city (Manchester). Not in much detail but enough to blab our way through it.

I did mumbai for the LEDC- dharavi particularly
New york for the MEDC- rich italians moving to new jersey.

How are people doing case studies for this bit? Are you learning one/two case studies for each bit of urbanisation, suburbanisation etc, are you doing a couple of cities and learning the processes for all of them?
Reply 191
Original post by student777

How are people doing case studies for this bit? Are you learning one/two case studies for each bit of urbanisation, suburbanisation etc, are you doing a couple of cities and learning the processes for all of them?

I'm just doing one case study for each of the processes.
Sorry, doing plate tectonics revision at the moment, and the 2 volcanic and 2 seismic case studies i'm using are:

Chaiten, Chile - Volcano
Etna, Italy - Volcano
Indonesia 2004 - Tsunami
Sichuan, China - Earthquake

But i'm aiming for an A grade and feel like i need more, so which ones would you prescribe? Since i feel both of my seismic case studies are LEDC's

Reply 193
Original post by Killsworth
Sorry, doing plate tectonics revision at the moment, and the 2 volcanic and 2 seismic case studies i'm using are:

Chaiten, Chile - Volcano
Etna, Italy - Volcano
Indonesia 2004 - Tsunami

But i'm aiming for an A grade and feel like i need more, so which ones would you prescribe? Since i feel both of my seismic case studies are LEDC's

The Japanese earthquake is good to compare to Sichuan in terms of level of development, as well as being able to talk about the political impact on nuclear energy.

The Eyjafjallajökull eruption is pretty good too - lots to talk about in terms of the economic impact on the aviation industry.

There are excellent documentaries for both on YouTube by Channel 4 - search 'The Volcano That Stopped Britain' and 'Japan's Tsunami: How It Happened' - might be worth watching to get some background knowledge that you can pull into an essay.
(edited 12 years ago)

Chaiten, Chile - Volcano
Etna, Italy - Volcano
Indonesia 2004 - Tsunami

you could use the northridge one from LA for your seismic MEDC case study
Original post by LukeUK

Cheers, hope the videos will be good as ive got no notes on them and only the Nelson Thornes book lol
Reply 196
Original post by Byrney11
quick question.................. is it etna that is constantly erupting or is that chaiten???

i know that etna is constantly erupting. not sure about chaiten as dont have case study on it.
Reply 197
I'm going GEO3 and GEO4B this summer, uhm...nice to meet you all!

What 40 markers are people expecting to do? At my school we're most prepared for Tectonics, but we can do Ecosystems too. We've learnt world cities but only for the short answer questions, has anyone else done this? Seems a pretty good idea ^^
Reply 198

Chaiten, Chile - Volcano
Etna, Italy - Volcano
Indonesia 2004 - Tsunami

Kobe 1995 earthquake
Haiti 2010 earthquake
New Zealand 2011 earthquake
Nevado del Ruiz 1985 volcano
Mt Pinatubo 1991 volcano
Reply 199
Original post by Byrney11

I'm not sure if its either, I know that since 2001 Etna has erupted every year or something, but my source sheet is probably old so that might not be the case any more.

I do Chaiten too, though as far as I'm aware its not erupting still, at least I haven't been told it has.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending