The Student Room Group

A2 aqa geography june 2011 official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reccoshai
So i take it that any question which are at the end of both books phillip allen and nelson thornes will not come up in the exam? cos that would surely suck.

We can only hope D:

anyone actually doing much AIB revision??

Any certain special DfiD case studies??
Original post by fusion12345
Describe the characteristics of tsnumis an outline how they form.

What does "outline" mean? I always thought it was like describe :/
Original post by Radant
Very helpful thanks so much :biggrin:!!!

I noticed you've not done anything on coral reefs? Anyway I best get my revision on :frown:

Is the coral reef for the fragile environment? We haven't done that in class haha :s-smilie:
Original post by davidbowie
Hey everyone, unfortunately taking this exam too :rolleyes: Would be grateful if someone could clarify exactly what questions we're meant to be answering as I'm still unsure and totally paranoid I'm going to mess up in the exam. I understand we have to do a 40 marker and then not answer that topic's short questions, but is there any kind of other restricting rule? If we answer a human essay does that mean we have to do two different physical short answer questions or vice versa? Or do we just do the essay and then do whatever short answer ones we want - no matter whether they're human or physical - as long as they're not on the topic we just answered?

Cheers guys and good luck with your revising
(anyone else starting today!?)

You HAVE to do one physical and one human, and yeah not the same topic as the 40 mark question :smile:
does anyone have anything useful for the AIB? I just don't know what I'm looking for?
Also can someone tell me why was western Bangladesh more effected than Eastern Bangladesh for Cyclone Aila?
Original post by Nicknak256
You HAVE to do one physical and one human, and yeah not the same topic as the 40 mark question :smile:

Ahh I see, thank you so much! How is it I've been trying to figure that out for days and you could explain it in one sentence :rolleyes: Seriously, you're a life saver, I'd probably end up doing the wrong questions and end up with a big fat zero if it wasn't for this haha :biggrin:
Original post by davidbowie
Ahh I see, thank you so much! How is it I've been trying to figure that out for days and you could explain it in one sentence :rolleyes: Seriously, you're a life saver, I'd probably end up doing the wrong questions and end up with a big fat zero if it wasn't for this haha :biggrin:

:biggrin:
Reply 387
For the plate tectonic 40 marker my teacher thinks something like this will come up:
"Assess the extent to which international cooperation is needed in the successful management of tectonic hazards"

What does everyone think of that, easy/hard?
Reply 388
Already done this as my school does the courses back to front for some reason. Best advise is to manage your time because it's pretty much solid writing the whole way through as the exam is too long for the allotted time.

Any advice for the exam you guys did in January?
Original post by Crazydavy
I haven't anything on Kurds, only the UK and Balkans. The UK has PAGES of crap though.

We have done Kurds, Balkans + UK but told just to learn one of them, for the UK there is quite a bit in the Nelson Thornes book (or do you mean the Philip Allen one?) but tbh it's very simple (compared to the Balkans anyway!) so it's probably worth flicking through and taking out the few key points there are.
Reply 390
Original post by l0livia

Original post by l0livia
For the plate tectonic 40 marker my teacher thinks something like this will come up:
"Assess the extent to which international cooperation is needed in the successful management of tectonic hazards"

What does everyone think of that, easy/hard?

God I hope not!
For Unit 4B Geog Review had some info in, click on this link and select the sample the September issue and it has an overiew of Cyclones in Bangladesh :smile:.
Reply 392
What are the recommended timings for this exam?
Reply 393
Original post by lw:)
What are the recommended timings for this exam?

45 minutes for each of the 25 mark questions and then an hour on the essay with approx. 10-15 minutes of the hour spent planning and organizing thoughts :smile:

I think if you could scrounge 5 minutes off each of the 25 mark sections it would really help for your essay....basically giving you planning time plus an hour to write the essay :smile:
Reply 394
Really hoping tropical revolving storms will come up on the weather essay or short question :smile: !!

What are everyones thoughts for the tectonics questions?
My teacher told us the tectonic plate theory had never come up before... but some of you are saying it has? Cause she was betting that a purely physical style essay about the plate tectonic theory and its supports for it would come up...
Original post by Abby :)
Really hoping tropical revolving storms will come up on the weather essay or short question :smile: !!

What are everyones thoughts for the tectonics questions?
My teacher told us the tectonic plate theory had never come up before... but some of you are saying it has? Cause she was betting that a purely physical style essay about the plate tectonic theory and its supports for it would come up...

came on jan 2011 paper

so cant come up
Reply 396
really hope the D&G essay guestion is on TNCs - :smile:

does anyone understand the whole 'no development without security, no security without development' issue and could explain real simple for me????
Reply 397
Original post by smithy_11
really hope the D&G essay guestion is on TNCs - :smile:

does anyone understand the whole 'no development without security, no security without development' issue and could explain real simple for me????

I thinks security could be taken into political, economic and social 'wellbeing' context. Basically you need a 'secure' foothold on these key factors to set about developing as a nation...maybe it could be an individual company?

Politically wise I think would mean a stable government, not at war/civil war. Think of places like Sierra Leonne and reasons for theire lack of development.

Economically the country needs to be trading, be it imports and/or exports and be suitably financially stable to make investments without incurring debts or the like. Labour is a key factor in this, places like Singapore got to where they are today through using cheap labour to attract MNC's and offering cheap taxes to set up companies in the country.

Socially the population needs to be relatively healthy and on a decent wage. Think about Africa, AID's and Malaria are a key factor in stemming the areas growth.

Also, what I think would be probably the BEST example for this question would be Bangladesh. 70%ish of the country is below 1m above sea level. It is in essence a giant delta for rivers like The Ganges. When floods hit a huge percent of the land is submerged. Think about it, if you're a large MNC, or any company really, you're not going to set up somewhere where the very ground you build on is as insecure as it is in Bangledesh. As far as no development without security goes, Bangladesh is the epitome of a lack of development because of this.

As far as a good example showing great security therefore good development I'm not too sure as an ideal case study to use. :s-smilie:

Hope this is of some help....I would like to hear others thoughts on this question as well, it seems particularly tricky:redface:
Any thoughts on world city essay question?
Reply 399
Original post by stephkiehlsear
Is the coral reef for the fragile environment? We haven't done that in class haha :s-smilie:

I think so, we did the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and the Fringing Reef in Kenya. Not looking forward to answering a question on Ecosystems :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending