The Student Room Group

A2 aqa geography june 2011 official thread

Scroll to see replies

I only just changed to AQA in mid January and my teacher is **** tbh and I have not got a clue how to answer these questions in 4B, they are so long with so many marks :s-smilie: :s-smilie: I'm getting seriously worried :/
I'm struggling for things to talk about in modern technology for data collection and presentations.
Only thing I have is GIS... what else is there!!
Original post by linnynewby
I'm struggling for things to talk about in modern technology for data collection and presentations.

Mobile phone for safety, flowmeter for rivers, edexcel for data tabulating and presenting, maybe even mention word to type it up!
Not sure if this has been mentioned but just doing some last minute cramming for tomorrow's GEOG4B exam!

Can anyone help with the appropriate technologies for Bangladesh and why they are successful compared to top down projects and large scale ones?

Thank yooouuuu!
Original post by linnynewby

I was wondering the same thing as you, but having read the syllabus it says this:

ICT Skills
To include:
use of remotely sensed data photographs, digital images including those captured by satellite
use of databases, eg census data, Environment Agency data; meteorological office data
use of geographical information systems (GIS)
presentation of text and graphical and cartographic images using ICT.

Sooo I guess just memorise those bullet points and apply them to your own fieldwork, and hopefully that will be enough! good luck :tongue:
Original post by Tanaquil
I was wondering the same thing as you, but having read the syllabus it says this:

ICT Skills
To include:
use of remotely sensed data photographs, digital images including those captured by satellite
use of databases, eg census data, Environment Agency data; meteorological office data
use of geographical information systems (GIS)
presentation of text and graphical and cartographic images using ICT.

Sooo I guess just memorise those bullet points and apply them to your own fieldwork, and hopefully that will be enough! good luck :tongue:

Thanks!! :biggrin:
Reply 1646
Geog 4A - well that was interesting, got really bored and really didn't try on the second half but oh well, got a B last time :smile:
It was ok I thought :smile:
GEOG4A...Thought it was ok...12 marks just to comment in section B though? Usually AQA want to test evaluation, analyse and the like for 12 marks! There was a lot of info i suppose :s-smilie: What presentation technique did people pick?:smile:
Reply 1649
Original post by hwalker37
GEOG4A...Thought it was ok...12 marks just to comment in section B though? Usually AQA want to test evaluation, analyse and the like for 12 marks! There was a lot of info i suppose :s-smilie: What presentation technique did people pick?:smile:

Yeah I thought 12 marks was a bit harsh! I did Kite Diagrams cause I could say quite a bit about them :smile: How about you?
Reply 1650
Located Proportional Divided Circles, it sounded posh :smile: yeah I totally wasn't in the mood by the time I got to that 12 marker.
Geog3; Thought it went Ok

Did the Short questions on Tectonics and D/G, and then the essay on weather.

Tectonics questions were pretty easy, weather essay went good apart from that I couldn't remember much about wind/the venturi effect, and D/G questions went ok, although it felt as if I was almost saying the same things for each question.

Aiming for 80-90% on Tectonics, 70-80% on the essay, and 70-80% on D/G. So hopefully around 70/90, not entirely sure yet. Don't know what the grade boundaries are like; we've always done 80%=A, 70%=B etc at school, so hopefully an A/B :smile:
Original post by jacktack
i wrote about CMDC...how many marks do you think i could feasibly get?!?

Urm, there may be some points that cover both... like they both created jobs and housing units.. but, in all honesty.. they are completly different things.. the CDMC is all private sector.. and Hulme is community led :\
Reply 1653
On the structure of the atmosphere question in the Weather & Associated Hazards SQ:

I described it perfectly but didn't draw a diagram cos I thought when it said "using a diagram" it said "using the diagram", as in it was referring to the insolation map above, which makes no f***ing sense but hey that's exam pressure for you.

Anyway, even though I wrote like "the troposhere's at the bottom and temp decreases within this and it is marked by the tropopause which acts as a temperature inversion, then the stratosphere is above and temp increases here because there's maximum ozone etc" that i'll get no or few marks cos I didn't do a diagram/graph :frown:.
Original post by ParkourTraceur
Geog3; Thought it went Ok

Did the Short questions on Tectonics and D/G, and then the essay on weather.

Tectonics questions were pretty easy, weather essay went good apart from that I couldn't remember much about wind/the venturi effect, and D/G questions went ok, although it felt as if I was almost saying the same things for each question.

Aiming for 80-90% on Tectonics, 70-80% on the essay, and 70-80% on D/G. So hopefully around 70/90, not entirely sure yet. Don't know what the grade boundaries are like; we've always done 80%=A, 70%=B etc at school, so hopefully an A/B :smile:

Grade boundaries don't work like that. The ones in Geography are usually low. In last years paper 56 marks (62%) was worth an A (which is calculated at 80%). They scale the marks you gain upwards in UMS. So, if you believed you gained that many marks in each section, it's very likely you have gained 100% UMS. I hope you catch my drift...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1655
What I hated about the geography exam this summer was the lack of scape it gave you for depth. I mean I learnt some really intricate knowledge for the larger topic areas, such as the temperatures involved in the formation of hurricanes and such, but the questions did not lend themselves to detail. Does anyone else agree?
It was as if the questions that they were asking were all coming from the beginning of the units where you learn the foundations of the topic area. I am now concerned how the paper is going to affect the rest of my grade.
Original post by Jade0193
What I hated about the geography exam this summer was the lack of scape it gave you for depth. I mean I learnt some really intricate knowledge for the larger topic areas, such as the temperatures involved in the formation of hurricanes and such, but the questions did not lend themselves to detail. Does anyone else agree?
It was as if the questions that they were asking were all coming from the beginning of the units where you learn the foundations of the topic area. I am now concerned how the paper is going to affect the rest of my grade.

There's been war due to this paper. It asked 10 marks on something each textbook covered in 5 lines. l;
I was confident for all of my other Geog exams, but Geog 3 has definitely ruined it. :mad:
Reply 1657
Original post by lizolove
There's been war due to this paper. It asked 10 marks on something each textbook covered in 5 lines. l;
I was confident for all of my other Geog exams, but Geog 3 has definitely ruined it. :mad:

I know, I feel exactly the same :/. Here's hoping proportionately the UMS still puts us in an ok position, considering the fact everyone appears to have had the same problems.
Original post by Jade0193
I know, I feel exactly the same :/. Here's hoping proportionately the UMS still puts us in an ok position, considering the fact everyone appears to have had the same problems.

Yeah. Although, I got worried at one point that the other modules could have been easier, so the UMS mark would be raised. S: Although reading these forums it seems that's not the case. Compare our paper to Jan 11 and AQA are actually being cruel. Jan 11 had an essay question asking for Plate tectonics theory and weather ones asking for climate change and city pollution. );
Wish I had the option to take the exam them.
Reply 1659
Original post by lizolove
Yeah. Although, I got worried at one point that the other modules could have been easier, so the UMS mark would be raised. S: Although reading these forums it seems that's not the case. Compare our paper to Jan 11 and AQA are actually being cruel. Jan 11 had an essay question asking for Plate tectonics theory and weather ones asking for climate change and city pollution. );
Wish I had the option to take the exam them.

Yeah, I remember doing that as a mock exam. I wish I'd done it then too. I just hope what I did was enough, because I honestly feel that I could not write nearly as much as I wanted, due to the questions asked. I did the plate tectonics essay and the 2 sections on weather and world cities. What sections did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending