The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

AA100 or DD101?

Hello!

I'm looking to start with the OU in September/October with either AA100 (Arts Past and Present) or DD101 (Introduction to Social Sciences). I was wondering if people could give me their opinions of one or maybe both of the course to help me make the decision that has proved elusive so far!

I need to do the compulsory modules before I can do the geography-focused courses and the literature/creative writing courses at Levels 2 and 3, and want to do one this year and then increase to full time study in the next few years once I have adjusted...

Just a little about me-I enjoy geography, crime and English and Drama...I don't know if that helps with your advice?

Thank you...any help or comments will be greatly appreciated!!!

Sonny
x
Original post by CrockettandTubbs
Hello!

I'm looking to start with the OU in September/October with either AA100 (Arts Past and Present) or DD101 (Introduction to Social Sciences). I was wondering if people could give me their opinions of one or maybe both of the course to help me make the decision that has proved elusive so far!

I need to do the compulsory modules before I can do the geography-focused courses and the literature/creative writing courses at Levels 2 and 3, and want to do one this year and then increase to full time study in the next few years once I have adjusted...

Just a little about me-I enjoy geography, crime and English and Drama...I don't know if that helps with your advice?

Thank you...any help or comments will be greatly appreciated!!!

Sonny
x

Your interests well and truly encompass both, so I think you'd probably enjoy either one. Have you considered doing both? That way you'd have a sound, broad grounding covering your range of interests.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I do plan to do both in the long run...I need to do AA100 to be able to do the Level 2 courses...or something like that...

Are you able to recommend which one would be better to do in the first year?

Thank you!!

Sonny

x
Original post by CrockettandTubbs
I do plan to do both in the long run...I need to do AA100 to be able to do the Level 2 courses...or something like that...

Are you able to recommend which one would be better to do in the first year?

Thank you!!

Sonny

x

Tbh you could toss a coin to decide which one to start with if one isn't leaping out at you. I haven't done either course btw: I did DD101's precursor (DD100) back in 2005. I was in a similar position to you then and I literally tossed a coin to decide which one to do. I enjoyed DD100 so much that I continued down the social science pathway and decided not to do 120 points at level 1 so that I could fit in an extra level 3 course instead. AA100 looks like a brilliant course though and I might do it one day just for the hell of it :wink:
I did the predecessors to both courses (A103 and DD100), and I would steer well clear of any of the OU Social Sciences courses.

My history degree was brilliant and all the course materials were presented in an objective manner, can't talk for AA100 but A103 was absolutely brilliant. DD100 was a crash course in left wing thought which I found both patronising and offensive. Only my perspective though, plenty of people probably enjoyed it..............
Reply 5
If you're considering doing both I think DD101 would be better done earlier. It is a very introductory course, so if you leave it too late in your studies you won't get much out of it and might find it too basic.
Reply 6
I'm half way through AA100 and I've found it an absolute waste of time. The subjects actually covered don't fully match up to the course description. I've only stuck with it through sheer determination to get to the next level while I wait for the birth of my daughter. I can't comment on DD101, but I'm really not impressed with the Arts and Humanities department so far. Although the course description says you'll be studying some literature it will only be very brief and to no great depth (about a week's study worth). There is also no geography, criminology or anything else that you have expressed an interest in on the AA100 course, so you're probably better off with the other one.
Reply 7
I think an introduction to the social sciences is always more valuable than an intro to the arts for OU degrees. Many of the higher level science and technology courses, as well as the humanities ones, require that you have a good foundation in the social sciences. A level 1 arts course would be wasteful for those going down the science/tech/eng route unless they're thinking of engineering/technology design.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
In AA100, rewriting history is highly frowned upon :frown:

Quick Reply