The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University

Has anyone studied via the open university?
Could I have some feedback regards their study process, assignments etc. I am looking at studying psychology with counselling and would really appreciate all the feedback
Reply 1
Original post by AmanRai
Has anyone studied via the open university?
Could I have some feedback regards their study process, assignments etc. I am looking at studying psychology with counselling and would really appreciate all the feedback

I'm a current student at open university studying biology. here are some things you should known:

you can choose to go either part-time or full-time, depending on the number of modules you choose per year.

all modules are studied online, with all their study materials provided online. a few modules do provide books.

assignments are either assessed through tutor marked assessments and/or interactive computer marked assessments. there is a timed exam at the end of the module.

study support is provided by online tutorials, day schools, other online activities, etc.

hope this helps. you can find more about them at the official website of the university.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Open University is amazing.
From a current student.
Reply 3
I study physics with the open university. humazhs above, has pretty much covered the important details. If you want to hear positive reviews, then I can give you that. It's all done flexibly - in you own time and the tutors are helpful - they give you feedback on every assignment and help you track your progress too.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Thank you so much to you all for the feedback and just explaining the process in generell. I have been told that I can choose my modules in March some time and October would be my start date.

I have an account open with them now? Just need to get the ball rolling with applying for my student loan.
Reply 5
Original post by AmanRai
Thank you so much to you all for the feedback and just explaining the process in generell. I have been told that I can choose my modules in March some time and October would be my start date.

I have an account open with them now? Just need to get the ball rolling with applying for my student loan.

Best wishes and good luck, I really enjoy studying with them and I hope that you do too.
Reply 6
Teaching:

Back in the day there was a choice of online or face to face tutorials. You could attend at a location convenient to you. Now it's online. You'll have tutorials over Adobe Connect with a class full of students + the module tutor;

Materials are sent to you by post (books etc) or it might be a fully online module where your materials are all downloadable.

Teaching is of a high quality. I've never had any issues at all.

Assessment:

TMA's; iCMA's and EMA's - a TMA is a Tutor Marked Assessment. These are assignments that you'll have every so often and are marked by the tutor. They generally make up the majority of the module grades.

An iCMA is an Interactive Computer Marked Assessment. Marked by the computer and you get grades a day or two from submission. On my course anyway the majority of the questions are multiple choice. Some aren't. They're a good way of checking your progress in the course.

We also have residential schools. Depends on the subject but for courses like mine (Physics) they do exist in the summer so you can get some practical lab experience.
Reply 7
Original post by KiloDelta
Teaching:

Back in the day there was a choice of online or face to face tutorials. You could attend at a location convenient to you. Now it's online. You'll have tutorials over Adobe Connect with a class full of students + the module tutor;

Materials are sent to you by post (books etc) or it might be a fully online module where your materials are all downloadable.

Teaching is of a high quality. I've never had any issues at all.

Assessment:

TMA's; iCMA's and EMA's - a TMA is a Tutor Marked Assessment. These are assignments that you'll have every so often and are marked by the tutor. They generally make up the majority of the module grades.

An iCMA is an Interactive Computer Marked Assessment. Marked by the computer and you get grades a day or two from submission. On my course anyway the majority of the questions are multiple choice. Some aren't. They're a good way of checking your progress in the course.

We also have residential schools. Depends on the subject but for courses like mine (Physics) they do exist in the summer so you can get some practical lab experience.

Thank you so much this very helpful.

I am very excited to be choosing my modules end of March and then finally starting in October. I have been wanting to do this for years. Now that my daughter is that big older and I work from home it’s the perfect time to fit this in.

Thank you to everyone who’s responded 🙏🏽
I am currently on my first module of forensic psychology at OU, my husband is doing psychology and counselling. We were both sent two books but you can download these if you prefer to read on a screen. Tutorials are all online but a lot of the study will be independent, it is all laid out in convenient little blocks which tell you exactly what you need to do and when. Assignments need to be in a MW document (don't worry, you don't have to buy MO, the OU provide a free downloadable version) and submitted via the website. For level 1 there is an intake if February if you don't want to start in October however October may be easier if you want to do full time as when you get to level 2 October is the only start date so finishing level 1 in September then going into level 2 in October doesn't give you much of a break.
Reply 9
How is your husband enjoying psychology and counselling? I am super excited to get all the books and start my journey. How many hours of studying are you having to complete on an average on a full time course. I assume you are doing full time.
Original post by AmanRai
How is your husband enjoying psychology and counselling? I am super excited to get all the books and start my journey. How many hours of studying are you having to complete on an average on a full time course. I assume you are doing full time.
No, we are both doing part time as we need to continue working. We are expected to do approximately 18-20 hours independent study a week, it would be more for a full time course and you would probably be expected to do two modules at once while we doing one. As you are working at your own pace as long as you get the assignments in on time you don't have to do everything at the same time, if something comes up, you can catch up in your own a time and study at a time that best suits you.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by hippieglitter
I am currently on my first module of forensic psychology at OU, my husband is doing psychology and counselling. We were both sent two books but you can download these if you prefer to read on a screen. Tutorials are all online but a lot of the study will be independent, it is all laid out in convenient little blocks which tell you exactly what you need to do and when. Assignments need to be in a MW document (don't worry, you don't have to buy MO, the OU provide a free downloadable version) and submitted via the website. For level 1 there is an intake if February if you don't want to start in October however October may be easier if you want to do full time as when you get to level 2 October is the only start date so finishing level 1 in September then going into level 2 in October doesn't give you much of a break.
Many thanks for this information.
I have also registered with OU to study Psychology with Counselling (start on 05 Oct 2024).
Could you please let me know which are the two books that OU sent you?
I would like to have a look at them prior to the start of the course.
Original post by username2024
Many thanks for this information.
I have also registered with OU to study Psychology with Counselling (start on 05 Oct 2024).
Could you please let me know which are the two books that OU sent you?
I would like to have a look at them prior to the start of the course.

you get different books depending on what module you chose. My husband and i got two books each but they are different cos we are doing different modules. they ae specific open university books so i don't know if you would be able to find them outside the university prior to your course.
Sorry to barge in on your thread but.. just so you are aware, OU psychology or counselling modules are not recognised by the NHS as there are no clinical experience elements.

Quick Reply

Latest