The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Y031 Arts and Languages Access Module - Open University

I have enrolled to do the Y031 Arts and Languages Access module (part time). I am curious as to what other applicants/students aim to do with this module and what are your long term goals? I would like to focus on English Literature as I would love to write. Just hoping this is the correct path?
Original post by Kayleigh H
I have enrolled to do the Y031 Arts and Languages Access module (part time). I am curious as to what other applicants/students aim to do with this module and what are your long term goals? I would like to focus on English Literature as I would love to write. Just hoping this is the correct path?
Hello :wink:

I have just seen your post which I am happy about as most related posts are years old before covid. I am also looking to do this course in May 24 which you can see on the OU website registration has opened for it; My understanding that this access module is an introduction to Arts & Humanities to get you prepared for the proper degree courses & To give you time to explore what avenues you want to go down in the Arts & Humanities, also to get you prepared for OU degree study. If you have a Level 3 Diploma you can go strait onto the degree but for me personally, I’m doing this as an introduction to degree study to help me step up from College to University as it’s been a few years & It’s rather daunting for me personally. I want to study a degree in Roman Empire history which would go onto R34 Degree, but I actually phoned the OU speaking to a lady for ages & She said what you need to remember is that even though you want to study that, they will be modules nothing to do with your chosen subjects, so just to be prepared it wouldn’t all be Literature in your case, if you get me ? Moving on I won’t get to study the history I want till the stage 3 of the degree, which is annoying but Hey I’m hope I learn some interesting things along the way :wink: I heard you may be able to get this course for free if you are on a low income.
Do message me back :wink:
Kind regards
(edited 1 month ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by MrBigMac88
Hello :wink:
I have just seen your post which I am happy about as most related posts are years old before covid. I am also looking to do this course in May 24 which you can see on the OU website registration has opened for it; My understanding that this access module is an introduction to Arts & Humanities to get you prepared for the proper degree courses & To give you time to explore what avenues you want to go down in the Arts & Humanities, also to get you prepared for OU degree study. If you have a Level 3 Diploma you can go strait onto the degree but for me personally, I’m doing this as an introduction to degree study to help me step up from College to University as it’s been a few years & It’s rather daunting for me personally. I want to study a degree in Roman Empire history which would go onto R34 Degree, but I actually phoned the OU speaking to a lady for ages & She said what you need to remember is that even though you want to study that, they will be modules nothing to do with your chosen subjects, so just to be prepared it wouldn’t all be Literature in your case, if you get me ? Moving on I won’t get to study the history I want till the stage 3 of the degree, which is annoying but Hey I’m hope I learn some interesting things along the way :wink: I heard you may be able to get this course for free if you are on a low income.
Do message me back :wink:
Kind regards
Hi! Thank you for your reply, very informative :smile: yes, I will be doing the access module as a taster. I’m not brave enough to go straight into 6 years of study yet. I’m hoping to continue with a degree in English of some sort, if I get on with the access module. I did an apprenticeship straight from school and now in my 20’s, I think I would like to pursue a new path so daunting for me too!! We got this though. Good luck :smile:
Hi! Thank you for your reply, very informative :smile: yes, I will be doing the access module as a taster. I’m not brave enough to go straight into 6 years of study yet. I’m hoping to continue with a degree in English of some sort, if I get on with the access module. I did an apprenticeship straight from school and now in my 20’s, I think I would like to pursue a new path so daunting for me too!! We got this though. Good luck :smile:

Hello
Sorry for the long reply been very busy as of late; I have got myself enrolled & sorted to start Y031 in May 24 :wink: So let the games begin lol. I’m so stressed about dissertation as I’ve only ever done assignments at College so totally out of my comfort zone. What sort of anxiety are you having while waiting to start ?
Reply 4
Original post by MrBigMac88
Hello
Sorry for the long reply been very busy as of late; I have got myself enrolled & sorted to start Y031 in May 24 :wink: So let the games begin lol. I’m so stressed about dissertation as I’ve only ever done assignments at College so totally out of my comfort zone. What sort of anxiety are you having while waiting to start ?

Hi no worries! I’ve been set up for May also :smile: I’ve never done a dissertation and haven’t given it much thought yet. My main concern is my resources. I have just purchased an iPad, so I’m hoping this will be okay to do all of the work set? Also anxious about where to start but I will await further direction for now, unless there’s something we should be doing now in readiness? 😬
Hi no worries! I’ve been set up for May also :smile: I’ve never done a dissertation and haven’t given it much thought yet. My main concern is my resources. I have just purchased an iPad, so I’m hoping this will be okay to do all of the work set? Also anxious about where to start but I will await further direction for now, unless there’s something we should be doing now in readiness? 😬

Hiya
I just got an email saying my OU start up box is out for delivery which will give all the information we need & I’m glad it’s not just me that has worries about starting & Believe all the resources we will need will be through the OU websites with everything we need on it & It also has a library with every book on it so we should be fine for getting resources. I still need to find a laptop wracking my brains what to get laptop, MacBook or chrome book it’s doing my heading lol
Kind regards

Quick Reply

Latest