The Student Room Group

What's wrong with gypsies?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Logi

Good luck, im giving up. I think they are being stupid on purpose. It's like arguing with a creationist.

Edit: Wait!! I had an idea. If the hippy (and gypsies for that matter) genuinely believe that they aren't relying on the government for anything....why dont they go and try their crap in a country which doesnt have a government? See how long they last then.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Raving_Hippy
Chavs are FAR worse than gypsies. Chavs contribute NOTHING to society, whilst also draining the taxpayer by being on benefits all their lives.

Gypsies take nothing from the government, so are therefore not a drain on society in any way. Leave us be.

Haha you have to be joking? :s-smilie: What do gypsies contribute to society then? Apart from the stealing, littering, violence, domestic abuse, noise, intimidation.....
Original post by Elissabeth
These aren't reasons to hate gypsies, btw, unless you also hate everyone that doesn't pay tax?

There are loads of families out there who don't work, claim a lot in benefits, tax credits etc yet send their kids to school and use the NHS. Gypsies don't really send their children to school to a certain extent and its rare for a gypsy to go in to further/higher education, so how is it really fair that they pay tax?

As far as I'm aware they don't claim benefits and they've generally only got one income in a family, but they don't moan in a really self-pitying way about being 'poor' all the time, like many settled people do while doing nothing, they just get on with life.

I doubt they have equal access to the NHS either, the life expectancy is a lot lower and that must be a factor.

:eek: You do realise that the gypsies 'one income' doesn't just come from dodgy labouring? They're not innocent members of society. And a lot of gypsies do send their children to primary school and do use the health service (of course they have equal access to the NHS, it's up to them if they choose not to use it!). As well as things you neglected to mention...roads, police!!, streetlighting etc etc.
Original post by CoffeeStinks
I'm just curious as to why some people have an overwhelming hate for gypsies?

So thoughts and opinions welcomed.

a large percentage of them are ill-educated, thieving, litter-bugging scoundrels. so people don't like them.
but, on the other hand, gypos are amusing folk who add another strand of colour to the nation's rainbow.
Reply 124
I used to hate them back in Portugal. We all do.

Edit: I was a child btw.
Original post by kristinaalovesu
Oh I see. Although as soon as I saw the photo I literally thought about Oregon trail or people who performs in the circus. :biggrin:

So basically they are homeless.

No they live in caravans, some live in houses and use their gypsy heritage to cause trouble. The first link doesn't really tie in with most people's experiences of gypsies, they are known to be violent, vandalise/litter wherever they live (usually illegally), have a high level of domestic abuse etc etc. They are also not poor (due to dodgy concreting, drug dealing, stealing etc), the second link shows how they dress for weddings and confirmations.
Gypsies are scum who think they are better than anybody around them, they dont give a rats ass about rules and regulations they will just take what they want and guess what? They're protected by the law and by the EU.

I've had to deal with them on many occasions, most specifically throwing them out of the screen which they think belongs to them. They talk like some retarded irish leprechaun on meth and the girls/women dress like whores. They're treated like whores as well and people say "oh its not like that" bullfuuckingshiit it aint. I have seen on countless occasions where the men are looking after 5-6 or more women. Why? the females are simply baby factories for the clan they belong too plus they cannot be trusted on their own.

I just wish they would get the **** out of my country and piss off to someplace else. Either that or round em up and dump them in belgium.
Original post by -honeybee-
:eek: You do realise that the gypsies 'one income' doesn't just come from dodgy labouring? They're not innocent members of society. And a lot of gypsies do send their children to primary school and do use the health service (of course they have equal access to the NHS, it's up to them if they choose not to use it!). As well as things you neglected to mention...roads, police!!, streetlighting etc etc.

Well, my point is that chavs who also do these things while living off benefits do not face such discrimination in society. You do not get bullied at school for being a 'chav' (unless perhaps you go to a really posh school), you can have a wedding wherever you want and you aren't banned from going into certain shops etc.

So the discrimination against gypsies/travellers is racism to a certain extent.
Original post by Elissabeth
Well, my point is that chavs who also do these things while living off benefits do not face such discrimination in society. You do not get bullied at school for being a 'chav' (unless perhaps you go to a really posh school), you can have a wedding wherever you want and you aren't banned from going into certain shops etc.

So the discrimination against gypsies/travellers is racism to a certain extent.

I think people probably do get bullied for being a chav, or at least for being working class (yes I know these are two different things before anyone says anything!) - maybe to do with not being able to afford certain things, accent etc. And chavs are definitely discriminated against in society, even if you don't notice it...maybe it's not as noticeable because there are fewer chav sympathisers than there are for gypsies (according to this thread anyway). I would imagine quite a few wedding venues are wary about taking 'chav' weddings and chavs don't move around the same way gypsies do, so the shops they go in are used to them/realise it's easier to let them in. If a chav were to go into a posh wedding dress shop, for example, most of the time they wouldn't be welcome.

It is racism to judge a whole race as being the same but I think when it comes to gypsies so many people have had bad experiences with them that it's hard to think otherwise. I have never heard a positive story about a gypsy (and I have heard quite a few, some being 60 years old) and, as a community, they are well known for not wanting to integrate and for setting themselves apart from 'normal' society by being hostile, violent etc. For these reasons I think it's easy to understand why people are wary of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending