The Student Room Group

MFin HKU Vs. MSc Econ HKUST

Hi everyone,

Recently, I got an acceptance from HKU for Master of Finance program. However, I am still doubting whether I should go or not. Currently, I hold a Dutch bachelor degree from Netherlands, of course. First, I was thinking to work in Asia after I graduate from my master program but I am not sure if i go to HKU for my master program really help me to pursuing career in HK. I dont speak any chinese or cantonese but I plan to learn it once i get there.

I am comparing for the Master of Econ at HKUST and MFin at HKU. some people say that HKU is the best for law and medicine, however, HKUST is best for business and economics. Therefore, I would like to ask people who are in HK or have experienced any of these programs. which one is better for pursuin career in HK ? maybe for working in financial insitutions.

Cheers,
HKU has more of an international brand name, so if you decide to go back to Europe or work in America HKU carries more weight. Recruiting wise, CUHK and HKUST both trump HKU for HK recruiting in financial companies. You don't need to know Chinese to work in HKU, all the multinational firm offices use English since most of them are filled with ex-pats that don't know a single word of Chinese.
Reply 2
@PKU_Research007 : Thanks a lot for your input. Yeah, I am still considering since i want to stay in asia after I graduate, both HKU and HKUST are well respected university in Asia i guess. Thus, I dont think it's gonna matter a lot, isnt it ?

Now, prolly i have to ask myself whether econ or finance suits me better...
Reply 3
anyone has other information? perhaps people who have experienced the program at one or both universities ?
Reply 4
I don't know about subject specifics, but HKU has a better rep in HK and probably abroad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending