The Student Room Group

Master Economics: LSE vs Cambridge vs UCL vs CEMFI vs BGSE

Hey there!

I have currently been accepted into the unis in the title and I need some advice to make a decision.

My profile:
I finish this year my undergraduate studies in a university in Spain (4 years). I am also doing my Erasmus this year in a UK top university (not Oxbridge or LSE).

My main interests are macroeconomics, growth, development, monetary economics... and basically most macroeconomics. I would like to continue studying a PhD after the master, maybe USA or maybe Europe, I do not know yet.

My financial resources are limited, and I cannot afford paying on my own the tuiton fees and living costs of living abroad 1 year. However, I expect to receive one of the scholarships available for Spanish students that cover tuiton fees+living costs. Although it is not sure yet, I'll know it in April-May. However, let's suppose I can have one of those, which program would you choose?

I am leaning toward LSE in case I have a scholarship, and CEMFI in case I don't receive one of those scholarships (because CEMFI itself offers me total tuiton waiver + 5000€ per year).

This is are the pros and cons I see from all unis, correct me if I am wrong:

LSE MSc in Economics
-From all the unis I mentioned probably the most recognized academically
-Very strong at macro (right)
-Possibility to continue to the PhD in LSE with +70% in the Master

Cambridge MPhil in Economics
-Good brand name
-Also good academically, but, is it slightly worse than LSE? Is Cambridge also strong at macro?
-Good place to live, I personally prefer a place like Cambridge than a big city like London (although it is not a problem to be in London)
-Problem(?): I am selected for the MPhil in Economics and not the MPhil in Economic Research. I've seen that there is no conditional offer to go to the PhD in Cambridge after it. But it's not impossible to enter. Is it also a good option to go to PhD's in other unis? And do you think it is possible to change from MPhil in Econ to the MPhil in Econ research? In the webpage they say it's possible but in exceptional circumstances...

UCL MSc in Economics
- I have discarted it, good program, but I think that others here strictly dominate it. Also it's strength is not macro.

CEMFI Master in Economics and Finance
- Two years. Easier to have good LOR.
- Small size class (around 25)
- Very good placement in top PhD's.
- Most staff is Spanish, and it will probably be easier for me to get in touch with them and have good LOR. They also seem to help you a lot with the placement. Also the environment seems fantastic.
- Already funded (tuiton waiver+5000€)

BGSE Master in Economics
- Very good at macro, monetary economics...
- I discarted it because they only offered me partial tuiton waiver, and the grants to which I applied are only to study abroad. So, in case I wanted to go there I would have to pay 8000€. Not worth having other options funded, I think. Also, I am from Barcelona, and although it's a great place to live I would like to continue spend some more years abroad.

Overall I think the best option is LSE in case I am funded. Do you think it is the best option to continue doing a PhD after it? Or would another place be better? What would you do?

If I don't receive one of those grants I mentioned I will surely go to CEMFI.

Extra question: In case I decide to go to 1 year program like LSE, is it easy to go next year to do a PhD in the USA in a top20 institution? How can you prepare a candidacy during the first term of the master? How do you get letters of recommendation if you barely know the professors? Maybe it is worth having 1 year experience in research and then apply for the PhD, but how? :/

Thank you for your attention, and sorry for the long thread.

Cheers and good luck to all :smile:
Reply 1
First off, if you're looking for PhD specific advice, urch.com (previously test magic) has a dedicated page for PhD econs so you'll get better feedback there.

If you've gotten into cemfi, then there really isn't any contest. The top programmes for PhD prep are as follows: (in no order) LSE EME, CEMFI's masters, UC3M's programme and Oxford's MPhil. If you've gotten into any of them, they'll likely dominate any other offers. If you've gain admission into a few of the listed places, then its a different issue altogether.
Reply 2
I'm asking the same questions you asked then!
Which uni did u go for masters? Did you go to Phd economics?
Original post by tutonic
First off, if you're looking for PhD specific advice, urch.com (previously test magic) has a dedicated page for PhD econs so you'll get better feedback there.
If you've gotten into cemfi, then there really isn't any contest. The top programmes for PhD prep are as follows: (in no order) LSE EME, CEMFI's masters, UC3M's programme and Oxford's MPhil. If you've gotten into any of them, they'll likely dominate any other offers. If you've gain admission into a few of the listed places, then its a different issue altogether.
do you still think the same about cemfi?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending