The Student Room Group

Studying in Germany

Hello, I am a first year Chemical Engineering student and I'm learning German in the hope of doing a year abroad there.

However my university doesn't have a German ERASMUS partner for my subject, does this mean I can't go to Germany? Or would I have to contact German universities independently etc?

Also, what would be a good language qualification to study to show German universities my language skills were good enough to study there?

Thanks for any help :smile:
Use the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) to demonstrate your knowledge of German. If there is a Goethe Institut nearby, you can take the exam there.
Reply 2
Original post by capital S
You'll have to contact your target university independently. If the university feels you have the right background, they can admit you into their program, whether they have some special program with your current university or not.

You'll have to inform with them what language skills they require of you. I know that for many Master courses, you don't need any qualifications except for English, which you obviously master already.

Thank you so much :smile:
I will do, I'm hoping to go for 2012/13 so would it be best to contact them now?
And do you have much knowledge of good German universities, would you recommend any?
Reply 3
Original post by magnum.opus
Use the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) to demonstrate your knowledge of German. If there is a Goethe Institut nearby, you can take the exam there.

Thanks a lot for that, there's one in Glasgow, so that is so much help.
Though it says it might not do the exams there :/

Are there any other appropriate qualifications, in case that one isn't possible?
Do you have any experience of studying/living in Germany? I'd be very grateful for any insight you could give.
Reply 4
contact the "Akademisches Auslandamt" they are at every German university. they could help you.
Original post by GingerGoat

Thanks a lot for that, there's one in Glasgow, so that is so much help.
Though it says it might not do the exams there :/

Are there any other appropriate qualifications, in case that one isn't possible?
Do you have any experience of studying/living in Germany? I'd be very grateful for any insight you could give.

I would call the institute and ask whether or not they administer the test. Also, are you sure your uni. doesn't offer language tests? The German University you attend may also be willing to accept other qualifications such as a specific grade in your language courses, a letter of recommendation from a German professor, an essay written in German, etc. Call them and ask, too.

And I have never been to Germany; I'm just kind of a German groupie :teehee: But I am going to the University of Giessen for a month-long intensive language class this summer :yep: However, they didn't have any requirements because the course accommodates all levels.
Are you wanting to go for a year abroad as part of your degree or to do an actual degree/postgrad?
Reply 7
Original post by SpiritedAway
Are you wanting to go for a year abroad as part of your degree or to do an actual degree/postgrad?

As part of my degree hopefully, they offer a chance to go abroad for Scottish 3rd year (English 2nd year).
Reply 8
I would call the institute and ask whether or not they administer the test. Also, are you sure your uni. doesn't offer language tests? The German University you attend may also be willing to accept other qualifications such as a specific grade in your language courses, a letter of recommendation from a German professor, an essay written in German, etc. Call them and ask, too.

And I have never been to Germany; I'm just kind of a German groupie :teehee: But I am going to the University of Giessen for a month-long intensive language class this summer :yep: However, they didn't have any requirements because the course accommodates all levels.

My university does, but doesn't offer it as an elective for my course. And I have to do the curriculum I'm given since my course is accredited.
I was hoping to do exams outwith as then I can teach myself. Also I have a good friend who is German (she came to my 2ndary school for a year abroad) so she helps me :smile:

The course you recommended though seems to be very well recognised though, thank you :smile:

I've been looking at going this summer, but too expensive atm, since I went to Germany to visit my friend in the Easter hols.
Bet your course is great though, a month in Germany though would be amazing :biggrin:
As part of my degree hopefully, they offer a chance to go abroad for Scottish 3rd year (English 2nd year).

OK, then speak to the individually. Do you study German at uni? They usually let you in with a certain grade in the subject. I.e for us, we need to have got 53% in year 1 and then at LEAST 50% at proficiency level German (C1) to get into the uni. You can use this along with a recommendation from your uni to study there. Otherwise they'll ask for a language exam and some unis have different exams (there's about 3 or 4 different ones) so check out what these are first!

My university does, but doesn't offer it as an elective for my course. And I have to do the curriculum I'm given since my course is accredited.
I was hoping to do exams outwith as then I can teach myself. Also I have a good friend who is German (she came to my 2ndary school for a year abroad) so she helps me :smile:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here :s-smilie:

The course you recommended though seems to be very well recognised though, thank you :smile:

I've been looking at going this summer, but too expensive atm, since I went to Germany to visit my friend in the Easter hols.
Bet your course is great though, a month in Germany though would be amazing :biggrin:

Lol, I'm quite worried because my spoken German sucks :P I learn most of my German from reading my text book, so I don't get a chance to speak the language. I'm hoping to fix that, though. And that's why I signed up for the course :yep: Maybe I can just write people notes while I'm there, and then I won't have to ever speak? :ninja: Haha
I'm not exactly sure what you mean here :s-smilie:

Lol, I'm quite worried because my spoken German sucks :P I learn most of my German from reading my text book, so I don't get a chance to speak the language. I'm hoping to fix that, though. And that's why I signed up for the course :yep: Maybe I can just write people notes while I'm there, and then I won't have to ever speak? :ninja: Haha

Hey, a little bit off topic but rosetta stone has a free live chat website. It's really useful to speaking and writing practice. I don't have the actual link, but it's worth googling if you're after the extra speaking practice.

Hey, a little bit off topic but rosetta stone has a free live chat website. It's really useful to speaking and writing practice. I don't have the actual link, but it's worth googling if you're after the extra speaking practice.

Yeah, I have a subscription for Rosetta Stone, but I haven't used the chat feature because I'm too embarrassed :frown: I was signed up for a one-on-one speaking session, but I bailed last minute :p: I freeze up whenever I speak because I have to think too much: word order and conjugating and declining and pronunciation- it's a handful :coma: I often forget how to say things when I speak that I know how to say in writing, too, just because I'm too nervous to think properly :dontknow: But I think I'll have to give the sessions another shot this summer, because I will have to speak the language while I'm in Germany :sadnod:
Reply 13

I know the feeling, being around a German table at meal times, and knowing I didn't have a clue. Even worse when they break and speak in English to explain something to you, and you feel so stupid. :s-smilie:
It's hard not having anyone to speak with, I've just got a textbook too.

Or learn sign language, it's the same in Germany as anywhere :tongue:

I know the feeling, being around a German table at meal times, and knowing I didn't have a clue. Even worse when they break and speak in English to explain something to you, and you feel so stupid. :s-smilie:
It's hard not having anyone to speak with, I've just got a textbook too.

Or learn sign language, it's the same in Germany as anywhere :tongue:

Haha, you know you failed when Germans have to speak to you in English (and then you feel ignorant because it's like, why do they know your language, but you don't know theirs?) Whenever I speak to my German friend, I hate the awkward pause when I say something nonsensical or, even worse, when I can't think of anything at all :p: That's why I get nervous- it's that dreaded silence! :ninja:
Yeah, I have a subscription for Rosetta Stone, but I haven't used the chat feature because I'm too embarrassed :frown: I was signed up for a one-on-one speaking session, but I bailed last minute :p: I freeze up whenever I speak because I have to think too much: word order and conjugating and declining and pronunciation- it's a handful :coma: I often forget how to say things when I speak that I know how to say in writing, too, just because I'm too nervous to think properly :dontknow: But I think I'll have to give the sessions another shot this summer, because I will have to speak the language while I'm in Germany :sadnod:

Don't worry, the more you keep speaking, the quicker it'll just fall into place :smile:

Don't worry, the more you keep speaking, the quicker it'll just fall into place :smile:

You're right :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending