The Student Room Group

So lost- how do I study in Germany

Hello.

for weeks i have been researching studying Business in Germany. I do not speak German although can learn. I have a levels in Psychology (B), Law (B), and Spanish (A*) and also an EPQ that counts as an AS (B). I am really confused as to whether i could study in Germany with these results. I have read that somewhere you need to study Maths/ Science as one a level ?? Could someone just tell me if this is true? It would be so appreciated as I'm so lost right now.
Can't say much about Germany but I am familiar with the application process for Swedish higher education.
Although it would help if you gave details of the prospective course you're looking at.

Many European universiy requirements tend to look at forign qualifications though a lense of what is the equivalent qualification level (e.g. GCSE = L2, AS/A-level = L3) rather then per grade level.
For example in Sweden, A GCSE in Physics or other corresponding science was equivalent to their levels of 1,2,3/A,B,C whilst a UK level 3 mathematics qualification was equivalent to their level 4/D. In my case they didn't look at my grades for those subject so long as I had achieved a "Passing Grade". This may of course be different for different nations/universities but generally speaking individual grades are less of a concern than if you were applying domestically to UK universities.

Have a look because if you got GCSEs they may fulfill the Science/mathematics requirements.
Have a look at the DAAD website. German universities are great for international students so I'd expect you could. However, it might be harder without any German so it might help to at least start - financial documents legally have to be exclusively in German, for instance.
Reply 3
Hi, I have a bit of a different situation since I haven't even started my A levels. I've been considering doing an undergraduate degree in Germany and was wondering if anybody could share their experience with this. I'm taking German A level which is a good foundation and then would likely have to take a course in the summer for academic writing in German. However, I doubt this will be possible because I can't see myself being proficient enough in German.
Reply 4
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
Can't say much about Germany but I am familiar with the application process for Swedish higher education.
Although it would help if you gave details of the prospective course you're looking at.

Many European universiy requirements tend to look at forign qualifications though a lense of what is the equivalent qualification level (e.g. GCSE = L2, AS/A-level = L3) rather then per grade level.
For example in Sweden, A GCSE in Physics or other corresponding science was equivalent to their levels of 1,2,3/A,B,C whilst a UK level 3 mathematics qualification was equivalent to their level 4/D. In my case they didn't look at my grades for those subject so long as I had achieved a "Passing Grade". This may of course be different for different nations/universities but generally speaking individual grades are less of a concern than if you were applying domestically to UK universities.

Have a look because if you got GCSEs they may fulfill the Science/mathematics requirements.

Hello, I am interested in studying at a Swedish University. I have both a British and an Irish passport but have solely lived in England. Do you have any idea whether I'd be classed as an EU student still? Or would I have to pay international fees? Any help is much appreciated!
Best person to ask @Kallisto :smile:
Original post by efqawfewgsdsdwFR
Hello.

for weeks i have been researching studying Business in Germany. I do not speak German although can learn. I have a levels in Psychology (B), Law (B), and Spanish (A*) and also an EPQ that counts as an AS (B). I am really confused as to whether i could study in Germany with these results. I have read that somewhere you need to study Maths/ Science as one a level ?? Could someone just tell me if this is true? It would be so appreciated as I'm so lost right now.

The main issue I see in an application in Germany are the grades in general. There is a different education system with different grades and assessment standards. And honestly I don't know how they are adjusted, if any.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by TSR2.0
I have both a British and an Irish passport but have solely lived in England. Do you have any idea whether I'd be classed as an EU student still?

Hey man!
Ah fantastic! Yes you would be tuition-free since you are an Irish Citizen... If you were just a British citizen, unless you had familial ties to Sweden or some other sort of connection from before 2021, then you would be expected to pay tuition fees.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Best person to ask @Kallisto :smile:

Not for study paths, but for the language. I am not an omniscient German.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending