The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE History | DEPTH STUDIES

How is everyone feeling for tomorrow? :K:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Stressed. I hate history with a passion.
Original post by syntaxx
Stressed. I hate history with a passion.

Which depth studies are you doing? Also, let me know if you need help with structure for the 6, 8 and 16 markers. I'm doing Germany: development of dictatorship, 1918–45, and a divided union: civil rights in the USA, 1945–74
Reply 3
yes pls help I'm doing both of those.

Original post by Light of Truth
Which depth studies are you doing? Also, let me know if you need help with structure for the 6, 8 and 16 markers. I'm doing Germany: development of dictatorship, 1918–45, and a divided union: civil rights in the USA, 1945–74
Original post by alr2411
yes pls help I'm doing both of those.

6 MARKER

What impression does the author give about ______________?

2 paragraphs; paragraph 1 on tone & language; paragraph 2 on content and omissions

Para 1 (tone & language):
(i) The author gives a positive/negative impression of….
(ii) The author’s tone is positive/negative, shown by… (QUOTE) (Tone is a quotation of 3+ words)
(iii) The author’s language is positive/negative, shown by… (QUOTE) (Language a quotation of 1-2 words)
[Bear in mind to use at least 2-3 quotes)

Para 2 (content & omissions):
(i) However, the source omits/fails to mention…(OWN KNOWLEDGE)

8 MARKER

Explain two effects on Germany/USA of __________.

2 paragraphs, each explaining a different effect of the event.

Paragraph 1: One effect of _______ was…
Add detail.

Paragraph 2: Another effect of _______ was…
Add detail.

16 MARKER

Example question:
‘The most important cause of the hyperinflation crisis was the French occupation of the Ruhr.’
How far do you agree? Explain your answer. You may use the following in your answer:
(i) the French occupation of the Ruhr; (ii) reparations
You must also use information of your own.

Introduction: The French occupation of the Ruhr was an important cause of
hyperinflation. However, reparations also contributed to hyperinflation. Finally, the
First World War had a huge impact. Overall the most important factor was
___________________________.

Paragraph 1: The French occupation of the Ruhr was an important causes of
hyperinflation. Add detail. LINK how it contributed to hyperinflation.

Paragraph 2: Germany’s obligation to pay reparations was another important cause
of hyperinflation. Add detail. LINK how it contributed to hyperinflation.

Paragraph 3: The First World War was another important cause of hyperinflation.
Add detail. LINK how it contributed to hyperinflation.

Conclusion:
In conclusion the most important cause of hyperinflation was (1)_________.
(1)____________ was more important than __________ (2) because ________.
(1)_______ was also more important than (3)_________ because ________.

[NOTE: This is an example question for Germany, but the same structure is used for USA as well]

Good luck! :biggrin:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
How is everyone feeling for tomorrow? :K:

Hopefully it will go well… any predictions for questions on Germany development of dictatorship and Superpower Relations (Cold War)?
Original post by Serena#J
Hopefully it will go well… any predictions for questions on Germany development of dictatorship and Superpower Relations (Cold War)?

I'm doing Superpower relations as well. My teacher thinks they are going to pick Prague Spring or Cuban Missile Crisis for the part C. I really hope Germany doesn't come up.
Reply 7
Original post by CriticalCustard
I'm doing Superpower relations as well. My teacher thinks they are going to pick Prague Spring or Cuban Missile Crisis for the part C. I really hope Germany doesn't come up.

Does anyone know how you could answer the effects question: 2 effects of the Reichstag fire? I can think of one effect but not the other lol
Does anyone know how you could answer the effects question: 2 effects of the Reichstag fire? I can think of one effect but not the other lol

One effect of the Reichstag fire was that it was exploited to target the communists. The new Nazi chief of police, Hermann Goering said that van der Lubbe had been part of a communist anti-government plot, and that the Nazis should seize this opportunity to destroy communist opposition. On the night of the fire, 4,000 communist leaders were arrested.

Another effect of the Reichstag fire was that Hitler was able to increase his own personal power. On 28 February, Hitler persuaded Hindenburg to pass a new emergency decree - the 'Decree for the Protection of the People and State'. This gave police the power to search homes and imprison anyone they arrested without trial. The police were also able to ban meetings and close newspapers, and Goering used the decree to take over the state radio station.
Reply 9
One effect of the Reichstag fire was that it was exploited to target the communists. The new Nazi chief of police, Hermann Goering said that van der Lubbe had been part of a communist anti-government plot, and that the Nazis should seize this opportunity to destroy communist opposition. On the night of the fire, 4,000 communist leaders were arrested.

Another effect of the Reichstag fire was that Hitler was able to increase his own personal power. On 28 February, Hitler persuaded Hindenburg to pass a new emergency decree - the 'Decree for the Protection of the People and State'. This gave police the power to search homes and imprison anyone they arrested without trial. The police were also able to ban meetings and close newspapers, and Goering used the decree to take over the state radio station.

Thanks so much! I had a go and my answer is literally the same as yours!
Reply 10

Also I was wondering if you could help with 2 effects of the March 1933 Election?
Thanks again so much!
Also I was wondering if you could help with 2 effects of the March 1933 Election?
Thanks again so much!

One effect of the March 1933 election was that there was an increase in SA violence. Goering began to replace police officers with Nazi supporters, and recruited 50,000 SA members to be police auxiliaries. As a result, Hitler was effectively in control of the police force, so SA violence did not stop. In fact, during the election campaign, political violence led to around 70 deaths.

Another effect of the March 1933 election was an increase in Nazi seats. Measures with SA enabled the Nazis to win many new seats in the Reichstag and the Nazis were now the largest party, however, they did not have a majority and this meant that their measures could be voted down by other parties. As a result, Hitler wanted to bring in a new law which would give him unlimited powers and allow him to pass laws without asking the Reichstag, namely the enabling act.
Reply 12
One effect of the March 1933 election was that there was an increase in SA violence. Goering began to replace police officers with Nazi supporters, and recruited 50,000 SA members to be police auxiliaries. As a result, Hitler was effectively in control of the police force, so SA violence did not stop. In fact, during the election campaign, political violence led to around 70 deaths.

Another effect of the March 1933 election was an increase in Nazi seats. Measures with SA enabled the Nazis to win many new seats in the Reichstag and the Nazis were now the largest party, however, they did not have a majority and this meant that their measures could be voted down by other parties. As a result, Hitler wanted to bring in a new law which would give him unlimited powers and allow him to pass laws without asking the Reichstag, namely the enabling act.

Thank you so much that’s so helpful!
Reply 13
6 MARKER

2 paragraphs; paragraph 1 on tone & language; paragraph 2 on content and omissions

(ii) The author’s tone is positive/negative, shown by… (QUOTE) (Tone is a quotation of 3+ words)
(iii) The author’s language is positive/negative, shown by… (QUOTE) (Language a quotation of 1-2 words)

(i) However, the source omits/fails to mention…

8 MARKER

Add detail.

Add detail.

16 MARKER

Example question:
‘The most important cause of the hyperinflation crisis was the French occupation of the Ruhr.’
How far do you agree? Explain your answer. You may use the following in your answer:

hyperinflation. However, reparations also contributed to hyperinflation. Finally, the

Paragraph 2: Germany’s obligation to pay reparations was another important cause

Conclusion:

[NOTE: This is an example question for Germany, but the same structure is used for USA as well]

I always struggle with six markers, this structure is super helpful
Original post by _Spotphin_
I always struggle with six markers, this structure is super helpful

No problem, I'm glad you find it helpful. Just to solidify your understanding, here's my response to the 6 marker from the November 2021 paper:

Extract C: From A History of Germany, published in 2000.
The politicians of the Weimar Republic had no choice but to sign the Treaty of Versailles, even though there was little support for it amongst the German people. Von Hindenburg was advising a committee of the German Parliament about the treaty. Even he said it was shameful and should not be signed. The signing of the treaty was seen by many Germans as ‘anti-patriotic’ and as a ‘stab in the back’. These accusations were widely accepted and this significantly damaged the Republic’s reputation.

(a) What impression does the author give about reactions to the Treaty of Versailles?
You must use Extract C to explain your answer. (6)

Answer:
The author gives a negative impression about the reactions to the Treaty of Versailles. The author's tone is negative/critical/damning, as he states: '...there was little support for it [Weimar Republic]', and 'Even he [Von Hindenburg] said it was shameful'. Adding on, the author's language is negative/critical/damning, and this can be seen by the use of words such as 'little support', 'shameful' and 'damaged'.

However, the author fails to mention that signing the treaty was necessary to maintain peace. The allies threatened to restart the war if the Germans did not sign it, and it was obvious that Germany could not fight anymore, and so signing the treaty was the best available option in order to end the war so that Germany was not occupied.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by CriticalCustard

Does anyone have any predictions about what Germany questions will come up?
Reply 16
Thank you so much that’s so helpful!

So sorry to bother you again, but I was wondering if you could help with 2 effects of the Four Year Plan?
So sorry to bother you again, but I was wondering if you could help with 2 effects of the Four Year Plan?

Is this part of specification for Germany: development of dictatorship, 1918–45?
Reply 18
6 MARKER

(i) However, the source omits/fails to mention…(OWN KNOWLEDGE)

8 MARKER

Add detail.

Add detail.

16 MARKER

Example question:

Conclusion:

Thank you so much, very helpful 😍
Reply 19
Is this part of specification for Germany: development of dictatorship, 1918–45?

I think so… I have it as part of the Nazi policies to do with employment? We also learnt it at school and I’m pretty sure it’s in the textbook?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending