The Student Room Group

Essay on 'a good death'

I have spent all weekend researching this and got nowhere :frown: and become very depressed with the question

It is often suggested ' a good death' is not possible in contemproary western society - discuss.

I cannot seem to find anything on it, i found loads on what a good death is but apparently that's not what i am supposed to be answering. The tutor has given us no help in regarding to articles or anything on it really :frown: and i have no friends in the class to even ask :frown: and now we've all broken up for term and i am really struggling on this.

Anyone point me in the right direction regarding a good death, and why it is not possible in CONTEMPROARY western society

see i know what a good death is
i dont know how to relate the question to 'contemproary' i dont even get what the means
and i dont know what it means by 'western' society.

Those 2 words are causing me grief and up to now i havent found anything on western society and achieving a good death.

Anyone familiar in the topic able to help me understand what the question is and how to specifically answer.

I did a essay a few months ago spent 2 weeks researching it thinking i had it right and spent day and night on it during that time and got given a mark of 35% and told that i had not answered it in the right way which is why this is full. My tutor isn't totally understandable about this :frown: so i'm stuck!

I'm not asking anyone to do my essay for me :frown: it's just i have no clue of what it's about some basis and pointing in the right direction could really help me

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Heroin overdose lol - that **** must be heaven
Reply 2
Original post by LYNNTAYLOR4444
I have spent all weekend researching this and got nowhere :frown: and become very depressed with the question

It is often suggested ' a good death' is not possible in contemproary western society - discuss.

I cannot seem to find anything on it, i found loads on what a good death is but apparently that's not what i am supposed to be answering. The tutor has given us no help in regarding to articles or anything on it really :frown: and i have no friends in the class to even ask :frown: and now we've all broken up for term and i am really struggling on this.

Anyone point me in the right direction regarding a good death, and why it is not possible in CONTEMPROARY western society

see i know what a good death is
i dont know how to relate the question to 'contemproary' i dont even get what the means
and i dont know what it means by 'western' society.

Those 2 words are causing me grief and up to now i havent found anything on western society and achieving a good death.

Anyone familiar in the topic able to help me understand what the question is and how to specifically answer.

I did a essay a few months ago spent 2 weeks researching it thinking i had it right and spent day and night on it during that time and got given a mark of 35% and told that i had not answered it in the right way which is why this is full. My tutor isn't totally understandable about this :frown: so i'm stuck!

I'm not asking anyone to do my essay for me :frown: it's just i have no clue of what it's about some basis and pointing in the right direction could really help me

Thanks in advance.

What references do you have so far? There is a huge amount on death, a good place for you to start would be with this...

Aries, P, 1974. Western attitudes toward death: from the Middle Ages to the present.

I'm concerned you do not know what western and contemporary mean. What course are you doing? You have to be critical of the literature you read and obviously make it relevant, maybe look at what the concept of a 'good death' is defined as by certain theorists??

Consider questionsn such as
What do scholars/professionals say about death in western society?
What is a good death or a bad death according to theorists/professionals
Who suggests a good death is not possible?
Who contests this?

Heres a list of a few references anyway to help you along, you seem to be struggling so maybe you should discuss this with your student office and see if you can obtain some help with research skills and essay writing. Most universities have these facilities.

Elias, N, 1985. The loneliness of the dying.

Parsons, T . and Lidz, V. (1967) ‘Death in American society’, Essays in Self-Destruction

Becker, E, 1973. The denial of death.

I'd suggest reading some journal articles, probably the journal of death and dying and some medical ones, there is a lot out there on palliative care which I reckon could be quite relevant, care and the community etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending