The Student Room Group

Anthropology Work Experience

Hi, I'm in Year 12 and hope to go on to study Anthropology. I'm completely lost as to what to do for work experience, any tips?
Reply 1
Not sure everyone can manage to secure work experience for anthropology but where possible, museum work experience or (if interested in any aspect of material culture, joining a summer dig) might be something to do. There is a London Anthropology Day held at British museum that might be worth looking into. Any extended research projects, books read (check course/uni recommended reading for prospective students on uni course website) or moodle's done might be worth it. The other option is to have a look at Springpod for any remote work experience with heritage sites.
Reply 2
Thank you so much! I'll definitely check these out.
You don't need work experience for anthropology- it's an academic discipline, not a vocationall field as such.

It will suffice to do wider reading in the subject area. Read widely in ethnography and maybe also read some more theory based papers. Then critically reflect on that and write about that in your PS :smile:
Original post by kinoli
Hi, I'm in Year 12 and hope to go on to study Anthropology. I'm completely lost as to what to do for work experience, any tips?

Pretty much anything and everything you do can be fodder for a personal statement, eg. you work in a pub (observing local community; structure of leisure time); you go to church (religious customs; role in society); you go to school (constructions of childhood; knowledge systems); you go on holiday (global societies and cultures) etc etc. You don't really need to seek out "work experience" for a uni application - just use your "life" experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending