The Student Room Group

D1 - Don't get it.

I'm not going to go into how much I hate D1, how crap the book is for AQA, and how many times more I'd rather be doing mechanics.

But I just don't seem to get the difference between a connected graph, a Hamiltonian graph, and an Eulerian graph.

Well I get that an Eulerian graph must have vertices of even order. But I seem to have cone across 85473 conflicting definitions & examples of what a connected and Hamiltonian graph is. If anyone could help, it'd be hugely appreciated.
Reply 1
Draw a triangle. This is Eulerian, because coming off each vertex there are 2 edges (and 2 is an even number). It is connected, because from each vertex you can get to another vertex by only moving along edges. It's Hamiltonian because you can draw a line through each vertex without going over any edges twice (e.g. just two sides of the triangle).

Draw two triangles. This is still Eulerian, but it's not connected or Hamiltonian, because to get from one triangle to another you'd have to draw a new edge joining them.

Now draw a square with a line going across one of the diagonals. This is still connected, because you can get from any vertex to any other vertex by moving along edges. It's not Eulerian because two of the vertices have 3 lines coming out of them, but it is Hamiltonian because you can draw a path which meets each vertex once and doesn't go over any edge twice (e.g. an N shape or a U shape).

Draw the same square again, but this time with a double-edge along the diagonal. This graph is now connected, Eulerian and Hamiltonian.

Now draw a dot with three dots around it, and connect each outer dot to the inner dot by one edge (i.e. a Y shape). This is connected, but isn't Eulerian (each vertex has an odd number of nodes) and isn't Hamiltonian (to visit each vertex you need to go from the centre to an outer dot and then back again, meaning you overlap an edge).

In summary, a graph is:
1. connected if given any two vertices you can draw a line from one to the other without creating any new edges (you just move along the edges)
2. Eulerian if every vertex has an even number of edges coming from it
3. Hamiltonian if it is connected and you can visit every vertex exactly once without traversing any edges more than once
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nuodai

Draw two triangles. This is still Eulerian, but it's not connected or Hamiltonian, because to get from one triangle to another you'd have to draw a new edge joining them.

Last time I checked, each vertex being of even degree was a necessary conditon for an Eulerian graph, but not sufficient. It needs to be connected as well.
Reply 3
Original post by nuodai
Draw a triangle. This is Eulerian, because coming off each vertex there are 2 edges (and 2 is an even number). It is connected, because from each vertex you can get to another vertex by only moving along edges. It's Hamiltonian because you can draw a line through each vertex without going over any edges twice (e.g. just two sides of the triangle).

Now draw a square with a line going across one of the diagonals. This is still connected, because you can get from any vertex to any other vertex by moving along edges. It's not Eulerian because two of the vertices have 3 lines coming out of them, but it is Hamiltonian because you can draw a path which meets each vertex once and doesn't go over any edge twice (e.g. an N shape or a U shape).

Draw the same square again, but this time with a double-edge along the diagonal. This graph is now connected, Eulerian and Hamiltonian.

Now draw a dot with three dots around it, and connect each outer dot to the inner dot by one edge (i.e. a Y shape). This is connected, but isn't Eulerian (each vertex has an odd number of nodes) and isn't Hamiltonian (to visit each vertex you need to go from the centre to an outer dot and then back again, meaning you overlap an edge).

In summary, a graph is:
1. connected if given any two vertices you can draw a line from one to the other without creating any new edges (you just move along the edges)
3. Hamiltonian if it is connected and you can visit every vertex exactly once without traversing any edges more than once

Oh, thanks for that, immensely helpful :biggrin:
Is there any way you can check whether a graph is Hamiltonian via a check, rather than actually trying to find whether or not you can reach every node without using a edge thats already been used?
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
Last time I checked, each vertex being of even degree was a necessary conditon for an Eulerian graph, but not sufficient. It needs to be connected as well.

Apparently there are two alternative definitions: one is a graph with an Eulerian circuit (i.e. it must be connected), and the other is the definition I gave. The definitions coincide when the graph is connected, but obviously the first one excludes the disconnected case. [I don't think this will be so much a problem for D1 but it might be worth looking at the definition given in the textbook and going with that.]

Original post by anil10100
Oh, thanks for that, immensely helpful :biggrin:
Is there any way you can check whether a graph is Hamiltonian via a check, rather than actually trying to find whether or not you can reach every node without using a edge thats already been used?

Pleasure. I haven't studied graphs since I did D1 (badly) years ago, so I don't really know, so I can't help you so much here. I don't recall any quick checks, although I'm sure they exist (but probably nothing as simple as "it's Hamiltonian if and only if {simple thing to check}").
Original post by nuodai
Apparently there are two alternative definitions.

Can you tell me where you've come across the definition that doesn't require the graph to be connected? It's not a variation I've come across before.

Edit: On further checking, I notice that the requirement for connectivity is a technicality to avoid graphs with isolated nodes, but even that definition would not consider two separate triangles to be an Eulerian graph.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
Can you tell me where you've come across the definition that doesn't require the graph to be connected? It's not a variation I've come across before.

Edit: On further checking, I notice that the requirement for connectivity is a technicality to avoid graphs with isolated nodes, but even that definition would not consider two separate triangles to be an Eulerian graph.

Yeah I think are correct. I've had questions such as draw a graph with 4 nodes of order 2,2,4,4 which is Non-Eulerian. And the only way to do it is not connected. i.e two sub graphs.
Simple Graph: Has no loops of multiple arcs

Connected Graph: Possible to reach any node from any other node (directly or indirectly)

Simply Connected: Both simple and connected

Complete Graph: Every node is connected by precisely one arc to every other node

Trail: Sequence of arcs where end node of one arc is the start node of the next

Path: Trail where no node is passed through more than once

Closed Trail: A trail where the initial and final nodes are the same

Cycle: A path to which an extra arc has been added to join the final node back to the initial node

Hamiltonian Cycle: Cycle that passe through evert node exactly once and returns to starting point.

Eulerian: Connected graph which has a closed trail that contains every arc exactly once

Semi Eulerian: Connect graph which has a trail that is note closed but contains every arc exactly once

Non Eulerian: A trail containing every arc once is impossible

Okay I can understand the first batch of definitions. However I find the second batch very confusing.

It seems the the definition of a trail is pointless and doesn't mean much. Its just there to help define other definitions.

The definition of a Path seems to be what I'd consider Cycle but doesn't have to go back to the starting node.

The closed trail seems the same as what I'd consider a Cycle
Original post by anil10100
I'm not going to go into how much I hate D1, how crap the book is for AQA, and how many times more I'd rather be doing mechanics.

But I just don't seem to get the difference between a connected graph, a Hamiltonian graph, and an Eulerian graph.

Well I get that an Eulerian graph must have vertices of even order. But I seem to have cone across 85473 conflicting definitions & examples of what a connected and Hamiltonian graph is. If anyone could help, it'd be hugely appreciated.

please do :biggrin:
are you also using the oxford press books, the ones which are full of mistakes and examples completely unrelated to the questions?
And yeah, don't want to rub it in but if you do physics at AS and M1 at A2 it's a godsend.
Reply 9
Go over the past papers with the mark scheme and use the book to help you if you don't understand the answers..
Reply 10
Original post by KissMyArtichoke
please do :biggrin:
are you also using the oxford press books, the ones which are full of mistakes and examples completely unrelated to the questions?
And yeah, don't want to rub it in but if you do physics at AS and M1 at A2 it's a godsend.

Sorry to burst your bubble a tad, but thats Edexcel, on AQA we use Heinemann books which are shambolically confusing, but atleast they don't contain too many mistakes.

And I do do physics AS, and I do do M1, and I can fully appreciate how useful it is with both exams in the very near future haha :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by David6
Go over the past papers with the mark scheme and use the book to help you if you don't understand the answers..

That has bin my exact revision plan, but i'm nearing out of past papers and time with 2 other exams on the same day (Thursday), not improving a whole load either, still barellly getting A's...
Reply 12
start practicing without them, also try this..
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/onlinerevision.php
and go on the d1 for your module it goes through one of the papers so should help you understand some things

Quick Reply

Latest