The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lordvulture
ahh that's not cool, I can cope with almost anything else, but I can't part with my 8 hour sleep a day for a sustained period of time :frown:

haha u'll still have more than 8 hours of sleep if u are not living in halls in hku or hkust or colleges in cuhk. it depends on if u are active in organizing activites or not. but according to my older alumni, internationals rarely take great part in the extra-curricular activities in the uni.
Original post by dragon_knight
sorry for missing you out :smile:
BSS in HKU, HKALE median = BBbd bb, so it's not tough to enter the course.
BA in HKU, HKALE median = CCa bc. it's even easier than BSS.
NOTE: i suppose u mean normal BSS and BA courses but not tougher courses like BA(AS).

usually geography graduates either become a teacher in geography, or take a postgrad course and get a PhD. seldom ppl enter the business sector but those are rare.
i suppose u need to choose your major in geography in year 1/year 2? :smile:

not sure about other two uk unis but bristol is not bad.
suggestion: keep on in your hku application and see what's the results. hope u also get offers from HKU

PS very few hk ppl choose geography courses as 1st choice in uni application. most of us choose science, healthcare related, business or economics :smile:

Thanks for replying. I'm glad to see that it is not so competitive because tbh I think HKU is my first choice. Those grades are also very achievable :smile: I read that on the site but I thought that would be the wry very bare minimum grades needed.

I'm not sure what I want to be after graduation, I will perhaps pursue a PHD but since geography is quite broad and gives you many skills I think it will help keep my options open..

Okie doke :smile: I've looked at the QS rankings and worldwide Hong Kong ranks quite a bit higher in geography and area studies than the rest of my universities? However Durham and Bristol do have prestige within the UK and Lancaster is really good but is less prestigious.

Uhmm, will my choosing geography as a major be seen as rather odd or frowned upon? Hahaa. I really like Geography :biggrin:

Thanks for the I information. I wish you the best of luck with your application ^^
Original post by rainbowmagpie
Thanks for replying. I'm glad to see that it is not so competitive because tbh I think HKU is my first choice. Those grades are also very achievable :smile: I read that on the site but I thought that would be the wry very bare minimum grades needed.

I'm not sure what I want to be after graduation, I will perhaps pursue a PHD but since geography is quite broad and gives you many skills I think it will help keep my options open..

Okie doke :smile: I've looked at the QS rankings and worldwide Hong Kong ranks quite a bit higher in geography and area studies than the rest of my universities? However Durham and Bristol do have prestige within the UK and Lancaster is really good but is less prestigious.

Uhmm, will my choosing geography as a major be seen as rather odd or frowned upon? Hahaa. I really like Geography :biggrin:

Thanks for the I information. I wish you the best of luck with your application ^^

beware that the HKALE grades are only for your reference. they are not equal to the admission grades of GCE. like every year only ~200 very top students who sit for HKALE get an A in chemistry...

haha u can still plan during your studies in HKU. it's not odd but only that very few hk ppl choose geography as a major. but u'll find your commrades in the geography department :smile:

funny how a few months ago you never thought of going to hong kong to study!!
beware that the HKALE grades are only for your reference. they are not equal to the admission grades of GCE. like every year only ~200 very top students who sit for HKALE get an A in chemistry...

haha u can still plan during your studies in HKU. it's not odd but only that very few hk ppl choose geography as a major. but u'll find your commrades in the geography department :smile:

Oh sorry, I actually misread, I think the site says GCE-wise you need B's so I guess you still need A/A*'s for if the HKALE grades are B's. Anyhow, I will try my best ^^

I know, everyone else seems to know what they want to do after uni though :P That's cool, everyone except those who take Geography in my school thinks it's colouring; my actual Geography class are in love with it :biggrin:

Original post by 21Grapes
funny how a few months ago you never thought of going to hong kong to study!!

I know right, it's kind of crazy! I didn't think about going abroad before but it's financially viable now that UK uni fees have gone up! Thank goodness you told me about HKU, it's not that I don't like Durham, Bristol and Lancaster but HKU just seems that little bit better.
Besides, I think colleges should alert people more to international opportunities. I never realised Hong Kong ranked so highly and the more I looked into it the more I liked it :tongue:
Reply 385
Original post by hin1994
Haha first post on tsr

I got an offer for LLB asking for 41 points in IB without any 5s. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask me.

Hey, congrats!
What was your IB Predicted?
haha u'll still have more than 8 hours of sleep if u are not living in halls in hku or hkust or colleges in cuhk. it depends on if u are active in organizing activites or not. but according to my older alumni, internationals rarely take great part in the extra-curricular activities in the uni.

a relative of mine goes to HKU. I asked her about hall culture and yes, its quite hectic and demanding - eg since most halls are sports orientated they do expect you to take part in practice about twice a week, depends. But she did also say that most halls don't mind if international students dont take part (this may be the case for non-jupas, she says, but that is something that needs to be checked!)

i think personally i'd choose a non-hall residential.. cos im lazy.
a relative of mine goes to HKU. I asked her about hall culture and yes, its quite hectic and demanding - eg since most halls are sports orientated they do expect you to take part in practice about twice a week, depends. But she did also say that most halls don't mind if international students dont take part (this may be the case for non-jupas, she says, but that is something that needs to be checked!)

I was looking at the accommodation and apparently you get given credits according to need and involvement, so if you did want to live in halls you might need to get involved? I think there's also music stuff to do though depending on which hall? :smile:

lol, don't non-hall residentials cost more though? D: On the QS website the downside of HKU is apparently the high cost of accommodation.
Oh sorry, I actually misread, I think the site says GCE-wise you need B's so I guess you still need A/A*'s for if the HKALE grades are B's. Anyhow, I will try my best ^^

yeah. roughly like that. A* opens the eyes of the admission officers :smile:

personally i would like to stay in a hall. the hall culture is just wonderful and worths sacrificing little personal time to devout yourself to the hall. we have a specific term in hk, "chur", which decribes specifically about the demanding hall life in unis. (pronounced as it is in english :smile: )

anyway hall varies from hall. if u have successfully entered hku, u can choose a rather "hea" hall (pronounced as it is in english again :smile: ), meaning the halls which are rather lazysome and relatively not so demanding :wink:

offer from cuhk! oh god im so happy
finally, i heard sth after my cambridge rejection :smile:
Reply 390
Original post by saychig
Hey, congrats!
What was your IB Predicted?

43, one of my good friends got in with 44. But we have references from lawyers, professors etc as well. I went to the HKU talk and they only consider interviewing if you have 42+ plus a good subject choice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rocketeeer
offer from cuhk! oh god im so happy
finally, i heard sth after my cambridge rejection :smile:

what the!!!! i still have no news from CUHK medicine. u got your updates from the online thing or by letter? when did u receive it?
yeah. roughly like that. A* opens the eyes of the admission officers :smile:

personally i would like to stay in a hall. the hall culture is just wonderful and worths sacrificing little personal time to devout yourself to the hall. we have a specific term in hk, "chur", which decribes specifically about the demanding hall life in unis. (pronounced as it is in english :smile: )

anyway hall varies from hall. if u have successfully entered hku, u can choose a rather "hea" hall (pronounced as it is in english again :smile: ), meaning the halls which are rather lazysome and relatively not so demanding :wink:

Oh!! Well if they have ones for lazy people :wink: ahah yeah its onr of those. The culture is quite appealing but at the same time its a put off if its too demanding in conjunction with the student work load. Accommodation thougb, i guess tht is something i will seriously think about once i get an offer and decide to actually go :smile:
Reply 393
what the!!!! i still have no news from CUHK medicine. u got your updates from the online thing or by letter? when did u receive it?

any updates on dentistry offers??

email this morning
don't worry about it man it'll come :smile:
im rooting for you and perhaps we'll meet in hong kong!

it's the early admission round btw so there's still main round consideration
Reply 396
hey Karmen Koh! Have you heard back from HKU yet? I have not :\ went for the interview at STAR edu fair :smile: did you?
is it too late to apply? say for economics..i thought it read somewhere that someone just phoned up at received an offer;;
Application unsuccessful for LLB.

1st of the kind. Ouch! :biggrin:
Original post by Rocketeeer
email this morning
don't worry about it man it'll come :smile:
im rooting for you and perhaps we'll meet in hong kong!

big congrads mate! i just called the admission office and they say that my application is under processing. exactly the same as the online portal thing says. fingers crossed :biggrin: hope to see u in hk too! btw u have updates from hku?

Original post by saychig
any updates on dentistry offers??

umm... from this forum it is seen that hku starts to give out offers for Law course (hin1994). so u might want to phone up the admission office or even the department of dentistry about your application. the admission officers are rather friendly ( although they are lazy in replying emails) and hope u get an offer eventually!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending