The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Getting back on track.... does anyone have any updates or good news???
Reply 681
HKU BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS CONDITIONAL OFFER!! so happy! :smile:))
Reply 682
btw... does anyone know about the differences between HKU halls?
Original post by macboo

first congrats to your offer!!!

obviously halls vary between locations. like some are on campus, so are 5 minute walk away and some u just need to take a bus / minibus.

but halls compete very fiercely in terms of sports and competitions. renown halls like ricci hall and st. john are long-time rivals which rumours had said that no one living in those halls sleep before 2am everyday, despite the fact that they have to get up for 8.30 classes the next morning....

basically it's the hall culture which is different. some halls are demanding while some others are not so demanding (although it's quite exhasutive...). so before u register for a hall, u better check about their background, very demanding or not, your curriculum as u wont have much time to join hall activities if u have a busy schedule.

if u are obviously international, it is up to u to join hall activities or not. they won't force u to join. and if u join, they'll be very glad. for local students, like u are obviously a hongkonger, it's sort of compulosry to join hall activities no matter if u are studying medicine or law or business or arts. (compulsory in terms of risking being isolated if u don't participate in hall works) local students dont have a choice :frown:

EDIT: here's our group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/252079598194712/ :biggrin:
Original post by macboo

Pretty accurate description right there. I would just like to add/clarify a couple of points :smile:

Original post by dragon_knight

obviously halls vary between locations. like some are on campus, so are 5 minute walk away and some u just need to take a bus / minibus.

Very important factor to consider - for the halls located farther away from the campus, you could spend up to (or more than) HK$10 for transportation each day. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it really adds up after a while...

From the top of my head, here are some of the halls based on distance from the campus:
Swire and SKY Lee (I THINK) are both located on campus.
Starr Hall, Lady Ho Tung, and Ricci are 5 minutes away from campus.
St. John's is 15 minutes away.
The rest, I can't remember. I fail at remembering names of halls :P

Rumors have it that new halls are being constructed on the centennial campus.

but halls compete very fiercely in terms of sports and competitions. renown halls like ricci hall and st. john are long-time rivals which rumours had said that no one living in those halls sleep before 2am everyday, despite the fact that they have to get up for 8.30 classes the next morning....

Fear not, the earliest class starts at 9:30am (though it might be different for medicine and dentistry).

basically it's the hall culture which is different. some halls are demanding while some others are not so demanding (although it's quite exhasutive...). so before u register for a hall, u better check about their background, very demanding or not, your curriculum as u wont have much time to join hall activities if u have a busy schedule.

if u are obviously international, it is up to u to join hall activities or not. they won't force u to join. and if u join, they'll be very glad. for local students, like u are obviously a hongkonger, it's sort of compulosry to join hall activities no matter if u are studying medicine or law or business or arts. (compulsory in terms of risking being isolated if u don't participate in hall works) local students dont have a choice :frown:

Medics usually get a leeway when it comes to hall activities - even at more traditional halls like St. John's. As for international students, while it's true that it's not compulsory for them to participate in activities (mostly due to language issues - activities are more often than not held in Cantonese), it's still highly recommended that they make the effort to join because they could be refused re-admission the following year for being too inactive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Interpretation

From the top of my head, here are some of the halls based on distance from the campus:
Swire and SKY Lee (I THINK) are both located on campus.
Starr Hall, Lady Ho Tung, and Ricci are 5 minutes away from campus.
St. John's is 15 minutes away.
The rest, I can't remember. I fail at remembering names of halls :P

Rumors have it that new halls are being constructed on the centennial campus.

yup u're right. Swire and Simon KYLee Hall are on campus.
just to add a bit,
also 3 Jockey Club halls --- Morrison, Lee Shau Kee and Suen Chi Sun are 10 minutes away from main campus.
4 halls are very near the medic campus --- Lee Hysan, RC Lee, Wei Lun and UHall. the first 3 halls are called "Dragon-Tiger-Leopard" (when translated in chinese, it's a censored booklet name) because of their lucky animal of each hall. it is about a 15 minute bus ride from main campus.

never heard of the new halls rumour though.... i know other unis build new residential halls but i'm not sure for HKU...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 686
What's the down low on Starr Hall?
(edited 12 years ago)
True that taking part in hall life is quite important. My friend in HK had to take part just so she could stay in accommodation after the first year. There is the option of non-hall residences though (i think there's two at HKU?)
Original post by macboo
HKU BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS CONDITIONAL OFFER!! so happy! :smile:))

Congratulations! :smile:
Reply 688
wow u are working... in health-care or science sector? well.... actually i applied last year but sadly wasnt admitted. so i'm basically taking a gap year and reapplying to med schools in hk. i filled my application form last december for 2012-2013 round.

hmmmm.... i'm not sure about the reason of being admitted into CUHK. they only give feedback if u are rejected (provided that u ask them for feedback) and doesnt give comments on those who receive offers. perhaps i perform better than i expect during interview? i just dont know and i dont have a reallyreally strong reference (only one from my school principal). i just know that CUHK admits ppl not only with strong academics but with strong desire to study medicine. perhaps that's why i impressed the professors....

thanks for the reply. I am so busy these days that could not get a chance to get on TSR.

That is a very encouraging story to learn about indeed. Was that a very challenging interview? What kinds of things that you were talking about in the interview?

Btw, any news from HKU?

But for now, I'd better work hard on the GCE AL first!
Original post by clcokwin
thanks for the reply. I am so busy these days that could not get a chance to get on TSR.

That is a very encouraging story to learn about indeed. Was that a very challenging interview? What kinds of things that you were talking about in the interview?

Btw, any news from HKU?

But for now, I'd better work hard on the GCE AL first!

haha no problem :smile: the CUHK inteview was rather relaxing but the HKU interview was reallyreally demanding. basically whatever i answered, the interviewers said that i am wrong (even in personal opinion questions like universal suffrage). i thought i was doomed after the interview and went onto the CUHK website to look for dorms and their curriculum.

eventually i got an offer though :wink: but yeah u never know what HKU professors think about your performance in interview. perhaps they like ppl who does not tremble in adverse conditions?

anyway hope u get offers very soon!
Reply 690
Original post by wildrover
No, I wouldn't visit any country were I couldn't expect a fair trial or be in fear of voicing my opinion.

Why, are you thinking of committing crime abroad? :colone:
Reply 691
I am a local applicant for (HKU MBBS, CUHK MBChB).

I am a geaduate for HKU BSc 6901 this year. My allpication status are still under consideration.

Wow~ wllee!! I would like to know how many of your friends got an offer from HKU and CUHK Medicine?

How are their performence in HKAL? HKCEE? is that easy to get an offer from med this year?? is it difficult to obtain 1st Hon in ust??

Thanks

Original post by wllee1989
Hello everyone here, I have just discovered this forum just now. I can see many of the non jupas applicants here so I would like to share some information here since many of my friends including me have also applied non jupas this year and I have GOT MY OFFER just few days ago.

For me, I am a year 3 undergraduate studying in HKUST and major is MBMS (molecular biomedical science). And I am a HK local student. I have applied medicine of both HKU and CUHK for second degree using my GPA result. My cumulative GPA is 4.08 (but shows only 4.00 in my transcript since 4.00 is considered full mark in a semester). Luckily, I have received conditional offers for medicine of both HKU and CUHK!!!!!!! For HKU, my condition is to keep my cumulative GPA not less than 3.9 and be granted the 1st class honour. For CUHK, my condition is to keep cumulative GPA 4.0 and be granted the 1st class honour. And I have accepted the HKU offer. Actually in my Hong Kong AL examination, I have got 4A1B1E, 4A for AL Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Pure Mathematics, B for AS Chinese Language and Culture (CLC), E for AS Use of English. I was sick when I was taking my Use of English exam so I performed poorly. So I can only enter HKUST MBMS due to my poor UE result. I have retaken UE exam when I was MBMS year 1 and I have got a C grade. But I still want to finish my MBMS degree first since I didn’t want to waste my 1 year time and I have to quit the university to apply jupas so I did not apply jupas again at that year. And I have taken IELTS exam last year and got 8.0 (actually I have prepared so long and work very hard).

Apart from me, some of my friends (most of them are my high school classmates and will graduate from university this year) have also applied non jupas. One is now studying MBMS with me in HKUST and he also applied for medicine of HKU and CUHK. Ridiculously he has got an offer from HKU medicine by his GPA only about 3.5 but CUHK is only under consideration. And the condition for him is just simply 1st class honour. He said that he perform very well in the HKU fast track interview. But I think the reason is that the places of medicine this year increase significantly due to the academic reform and the addition of 30 places to each cohort so it becomes easier to enter. (may be even easier than pharmacy and dentistry: since I heard someone from CUHK life science applied for dentistry in HKU by GPA 3.6 cannot get an offer from fast track).

One of my friends is studying public health in CUHK. He told me that 5 of his classmates apply for second degree: 4 for medicine and 1 for pharmacy. The one who applies for pharmacy is the top student in public health and he has got an offer from CUHK. The condition is to graduate with 1st class honour. The 4 people who apply for medicine are just still under consideration.

I have another friend who is studying account and finance in HKU. His GPA is about 3.65, he also got an offer from HKU medicine!!! But CUHK is still under consideration. What the fxxk easy to enter HKU medicine this year!!! In the previous year, it is hardly to get into HKU medicine even you have GPA more than 4.0 if you are an undergraduate applicant. I think CUHK did not give too much offer because the deadline has not been passed. I highly recommend you all to apply medicine for both HKU(although only late application now) and CUHK this year as soon as possible. I think this year is the only chance in your life that medicine is so easy to enter. Good luck for you all!!!
Original post by Susanwan
I am a local applicant for (HKU MBBS, CUHK MBChB).

I am a geaduate for HKU BSc 6901 this year. My allpication status are still under consideration.

Wow~ wllee!! I would like to know how many of your friends got an offer from HKU and CUHK Medicine?

How are their performence in HKAL? HKCEE? is that easy to get an offer from med this year?? is it difficult to obtain 1st Hon in ust??

Thanks

Hi there. I'm also a local applicant from cu. did u attend the interview for mbbs/ mbchb already? i did, but now am still waiting for their consideration.
Reply 693
I got the interview from both of them in February. but still waiting for the results.

What is your CGPA?

Original post by mattewho1990
Hi there. I'm also a local applicant from cu. did u attend the interview for mbbs/ mbchb already? i did, but now am still waiting for their consideration.
I got the interview from both of them in February. but still waiting for the results.

What is your CGPA?

i got 3.7, but i think it doesn't count too much once you are invited; interview somehow accounts for 100% of your score. when did your interview take place? 28 Feb? I was there too. do u know who interviewed u?
Reply 695
You are asking the HKU one, right?

I forgot the names of the professor... as the teachers are different from us..
but there were 2 male professors interviewing me.

any classmates of yours is applying too??

I think the HKU interview was quite harsh....the same as mentioned by dragon_knight.

How about your interview?

Original post by mattewho1990
i got 3.7, but i think it doesn't count too much once you are invited; interview somehow accounts for 100% of your score. when did your interview take place? 28 Feb? I was there too. do u know who interviewed u?
You are asking the HKU one, right?

I forgot the names of the professor... as the teachers are different from us..
but there were 2 male professors interviewing me.

any classmates of yours is applying too??

I think the HKU interview was quite harsh....the same as mentioned by dragon_knight.

How about your interview?

the questions in cu is friendly, but the professors are quite harsh to me, so i don't think i am quite outstanding.

what did they ask your hku interview? harsh in terms of the questions / attitude? any examples?

I'm pretty sure that you are among the top ones. ^^ may i know your gpa?
Reply 697
I've applied to both HKU and CUHK for medicine through non-JUPAS this year and I'm still waiting for replies from both of them. Do I need A* in all the subjects I do or an average of 90%+ UMS in the subjects overall (GCE A-levels) in order to get an interview?
Original post by Ber
I've applied to both HKU and CUHK for medicine through non-JUPAS this year and I'm still waiting for replies from both of them. Do I need A* in all the subjects I do or an average of 90%+ UMS in the subjects overall (GCE A-levels) in order to get an interview?

Just for an interview? No, i wouldn't think so. Have you already completed your A levels?
Reply 699
Original post by 21Grapes
Just for an interview? No, i wouldn't think so. Have you already completed your A levels?

Doing it at the moment in the UK. To get a place, do I need 4A*'s? Or do I only need an average of 90% UMS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending