The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ber
I've applied to both HKU and CUHK for medicine through non-JUPAS this year and I'm still waiting for replies from both of them. Do I need A* in all the subjects I do or an average of 90%+ UMS in the subjects overall (GCE A-levels) in order to get an interview?

for cuhk medicine,
"The minimum requirement for interview is 4 A* and, in addition, all marks should be over 90%. ... In 2011, the average mark required to be competitive was at least 95%, and some students with 4 A* were not selected for interview.
The usual requirement for interview would be 10A* for GCSE, and 4 subjects (not including Chinese) at AS level, with average marks over 95%. "

source: cuhk medicine admission website http://www.med.cuhk.edu.hk/v7/s15_05.htm

well my interpretation is that you PREDICTED GRADES of GCE A-level should be at least 4A* in order to have a chance for an interview. you should also have outstanding AS UMS scores and very good GCSE grades.

to get a place, u must receive offer from the university. without offer, no matter how many A* u've got eventually, u won't be admitted into the uni. since on the website:

"Offers of admission made early are usually conditional to obtaining 4 A* at A-level (not including Chinese), with marks over 90%. "

i suppose u should have a predicted grade of at least 4A*, and then in august u should achieve 4A* or above in A2.

personal experience: i was not admitted into neither university last year but this year i received offers for medicine from both unis. so i suppose this year since there are more than double (cuhk: ~10 places for GCE last year but now >30 places), the interview requirement might be slightly lower than last year.

for hku medicine,

there is no solid information on the website (http://www.med.hku.hk/03edu_undergrad_mbbs.htm)

but according to the information, last year offers are made with conditions above 3A*1A. if u don't get an offer in the interview round, u can still work very hard and get >4A* in A2. then in late august, if you're results are reallyreally good, u will be called for an interview but the places left will be very little (4 left out of 150 in august 2011, with >30 competitors of 4A* or above)

sorry for the long and chunky and disorganized reply. hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 701
Um, what are those hall activities? And why do I hear they're "highly recommended" (read compulsory) for students?

I'm from England and I want to study quietly and be left alone instead of having to take part in some extracuricculars I'm not interested in.

Please tell me if HKU is liberal or if it actually suffers from being surrounded by China...
Thanks
Reply 702
Original post by dragon_knight
for cuhk medicine,
"The minimum requirement for interview is 4 A* and, in addition, all marks should be over 90%. ... In 2011, the average mark required to be competitive was at least 95%, and some students with 4 A* were not selected for interview.
The usual requirement for interview would be 10A* for GCSE, and 4 subjects (not including Chinese) at AS level, with average marks over 95%. "

source: cuhk medicine admission website http://www.med.cuhk.edu.hk/v7/s15_05.htm

well my interpretation is that you PREDICTED GRADES of GCE A-level should be at least 4A* in order to have a chance for an interview. you should also have outstanding AS UMS scores and very good GCSE grades.

to get a place, u must receive offer from the university. without offer, no matter how many A* u've got eventually, u won't be admitted into the uni. since on the website:

"Offers of admission made early are usually conditional to obtaining 4 A* at A-level (not including Chinese), with marks over 90%. "

i suppose u should have a predicted grade of at least 4A*, and then in august u should achieve 4A* or above in A2.

personal experience: i was not admitted into neither university last year but this year i received offers for medicine from both unis. so i suppose this year since there are more than double (cuhk: ~10 places for GCE last year but now >30 places), the interview requirement might be slightly lower than last year.

for hku medicine,

there is no solid information on the website (http://www.med.hku.hk/03edu_undergrad_mbbs.htm)

but according to the information, last year offers are made with conditions above 3A*1A. if u don't get an offer in the interview round, u can still work very hard and get >4A* in A2. then in late august, if you're results are reallyreally good, u will be called for an interview but the places left will be very little (4 left out of 150 in august 2011, with >30 competitors of 4A* or above)

sorry for the long and chunky and disorganized reply. hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks a lot for the info :smile: Are you on gap year btw?
Original post by Ber
Thanks a lot for the info :smile: Are you on gap year btw?

strictly speaking i am not a gap year student. basically i'm using last year's examination result to apply for uni but now i'm still studying. glad to hear that the info is useful!

Original post by the_13th
Um, what are those hall activities? And why do I hear they're "highly recommended" (read compulsory) for students?

I'm from England and I want to study quietly and be left alone instead of having to take part in some extracuricculars I'm not interested in.

Please tell me if HKU is liberal or if it actually suffers from being surrounded by China...
Thanks

hall activities vary from hall to hall. but generally speaking, hall activities mean sports(mainly), debating, function-organizing and so on. it is unimaginably busy and they are highly recommended because it's VERY VERY EXPENSIVE to rent a flat in hong kong, especially flats near unis. as u are international, assuming that u don't have relatives in hong kong and doesn't consider renting a flat with a few other friends, the only place that u can stay is halls.

if u are living in halls, sadly it is nearly impossible to have quiet times for u to study. as an international, u are free to decide whether joining hall activities or not (hallmates will be very glad if u join but they don't mind if u don't). but even though u don't join the activities, u still need to withstand the noises out of the dorms when they are organizing activities/planning/practicing cheers, etc.

usually international ppl who live in halls and wants to study quietly will choose to study in a library where obviously has a better environment. so the best solution for u, is to apply for a hall, join very little hall activities, and spend most of your time in library :smile:

HKU belongs to hong kong. the north of hong kong is china but under the "one country, two systems" principle and "high autonomy" principle, hong kong enjoys a high degree of freedom of speech and press. it is projected that in 2017, hong kong will have its first-ever universal suffrage for Chief Executive and LegCo members. so i may say hong kong is much more liberal than china.
Reply 704
Why do I get an interview for my 2nd choice at HK if I haven't even had one for my 1st choice?..

ANyone else had this problem?
I'm so glad i found this thread!

I received a conditional offer from HKU yesterday for the 3 year Engineering course.
I can't express how relieved I am. :biggrin:
HKU has been my first choice since it's close to where I live now, Thailand, and ofcourse due to the cheaper tuition fees compared to universities in the first world countries :P
However, I did still apply to UK and I'm currently waiting for UCL to reply to complete all my 5 offers and decide my Firm/insurance. The reason UK is still in my mind is because all my friends are going there, and I do kinda want to experience a real British environment after studying in a British school all my life. So I'm yet to make up my mind :s-smilie:

Anyways, Getting the offer from HKU was great and it looks like there are more chances of me ending up there. I've read some of the recent stuff from this thread, and it's been really helpful!
But there are still some things bothering me.
How might the study be different in this 3 year course to a 4 year BEng course in UK?
Haha, And what would you guys prefer or suggest for the types of halls, Halls with Males and Females or the Halls with the same gender? :P
Any kind of advice will he very helpful! :smile:

BTW, Any Engineering Applicants over here for HKU?? So far I only see medics/law/art/science students applying, none for engineering :frown:

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by the_13th
Why do I get an interview for my 2nd choice at HK if I haven't even had one for my 1st choice?..

ANyone else had this problem?

yes u may be given interview for 2nd choice.

Original post by Therealrishabh

Haha, And what would you guys prefer or suggest for the types of halls, Halls with Males and Females or the Halls with the same gender? :P
Any kind of advice will he very helpful! :smile:

Thanks in advance! :smile:

hi there well really we don't have engin applicants here and neither am i so i might be able to help u out on questions regarding the halls :smile:

choosing a hall depends on your activeness towards extra-curricular activities, your location of study and whether u enjoy the hall culture or not. most of the halls are males and females, except Ricci Hall which is all-boys. of course u won't have sharing a room with opposite sex, and in most halls, each floor is mono-gender.

since u are studying engineering and the building for eng is located in the main campus, u can choose the two main campus halls ----swire hall or simon k y lee hall,
or halls of 5 minutes walk away --- starr hall, ricci hall (i assume u are... a he? :P).
if u are sporty, u can choose the halls near the flora ho sports centre --- morrison hall, S K Li hall, st. john's college, etc.
4 halls are very near Queen Mary Hospital --- University Hall, Wei Lun Hall, and two others i forgot their names.

hope this helps!!!

PS hong kong was also a british coloney for over 140 years and although we are now part of china, many british buildings, government systems, core values remains so we welcome u to hong kong for studying! :biggrin:
Reply 707
hi everyone, I have applied for the dentistry program of HKU, anyone have news about this? And I have asked the office lady that I have not been shortlisted for the interview in this round, and she told me to check my application status in around late April or early May. Does this means I would be rejected in this period????? It is my only choice in HKU so I really hope I can be success!
Reply 708
Does anyone know how many rounds of offers HKU has?
Original post by annababy
hi everyone, I have applied for the dentistry program of HKU, anyone have news about this? And I have asked the office lady that I have not been shortlisted for the interview in this round, and she told me to check my application status in around late April or early May. Does this means I would be rejected in this period????? It is my only choice in HKU so I really hope I can be success!

not being considered during this period does not mean rejection. that means u are allocated to the next round and might be re-considered to be short-listed for interview next round.

Original post by jgeelong
Does anyone know how many rounds of offers HKU has?

it varies from program to program. and because the system of application this year has changed and so past year's figures may not be useful.
Reply 710
Original post by dragon_knight
not being considered during this period does not mean rejection. that means u are allocated to the next round and might be re-considered to be short-listed for interview next round.

Thank you dragon_knight.
But I think it is very strange for the office lady to tell me to check my application status online around late April or early May directly instead of telling me to wait for another round of interview. I really afraid that it may literally means that I would be rejected at that time so she tell me to check status at that time.
I'm applying as a local, so I guess I would have to join hall activities. XD
If I'm able to get the grades, I hope I'll be able to fit in. I have, er, communication problems. I just find talking to people really hard. I'm too quiet and end up mumbling a lot. ^^;
I'm seeing a few more offers in the stalking page. :biggrin: Congrats!
I feel so out of place because my grades are so mediocre (or even below that). :P I'll have to work harder!
Reply 712
HKU is sending me wrong emails.....

1. they congrats me for successfully applying scholarship which i didnt, then they sent me another email to apologize

After i rejected their offer...

2. they sent me an email and say there are looking forward to seeing me in september,
3. thank you for accepting the offer AND thank you for payinng the deposit (which i clearly didnt)

the next day, when i was about to call them....

4. they sent me aother email asking me why i have decided to turn down their offer....

Any similar case??
Reply 713
Original post by belinin
HKU is sending me wrong emails.....

1. they congrats me for successfully applying scholarship which i didnt, then they sent me another email to apologize

After i rejected their offer...

2. they sent me an email and say there are looking forward to seeing me in september,
3. thank you for accepting the offer AND thank you for payinng the deposit (which i clearly didnt)

the next day, when i was about to call them....

4. they sent me aother email asking me why i have decided to turn down their offer....

Any similar case??

Yeah, they have messed up with my application as well. Scheduled an interview for the wrong subject on a day I clearly told them I did NOT want to be interviewed. Should I mention that this all was written in appalling English, hardly coherent?

I am having serious second thoughts about this uni...
Reply 714
Any new LLB offers?

Ahh sorry killed the thread. Haha.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 715
Hi guyz I am currently studying gce a level in a british school in Singapore.

I was predicted a*aab (math,furthermath, business studies and physics)

I am still waiting to get an offer but I am getting worried. (only applied to 'the university of hong kong')

Could you please tell me what kind of offers will i get?

My first choice is BSc quantitative finance

2nd choice - BBA/BBA Accounting and finance

3rd choice - BEcon/BEcon&Fin

Can you also tell me when will I roughly gonna hear from them?

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
So I was flipping through one of the university magazines and spotted an article that might be of interest to you guys. Basically, new halls (though they are called "residential colleges", not sure what the difference is) are being built, and will be completed this summer in time for the new academic year. See the attachment for more details (you have to open the image in a new window for the expanded view).

img012 - Copy.jpg

By the way, any science applicants out here? I was in a science lecture a few days ago and our professor started telling us stories about interviews he had with applicants that morning. Pretty funny stuff :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 717
Have any one get an interview call for HKU dentistry??? They said that they would call the applicant at the end of March or at the beginning of April.
Reply 718
Hey guys, I was just wondering... Do I have to be able to speak Cantonese and Mandarin if I want to apply for a medical or dentistry course at HKU?
Cuhk mbchb offer!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending