The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Atheists, could you seriously date a religious person (and vice versa)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Yeah, I could.

My mother is christian and my father is atheist. They both were open with me about their beliefs (or lack thereof), but didn't push me strongly one way or the other. Seemed to work out okay.
Original post by sparklysparkles

Original post by sparklysparkles
Yup. I don't want anyone to go to hell, but it's an inevitability for some people, and "missionary dating" is doomed to failure in 99% of cases. Thread asked for opinion, and I gave mine.

EDIT: I can't remember if I said this in my first post, but another reason for me would be that the Bible calls the husband to take responsibility for the spiritual wellbeing of the family, which obviously wouldn't happen if he was an atheist.

Wow...I don't know what to say to that :nothing:
Reply 102
I would as long as they weren't seriously, intensely religious. I wouldn't mind at all if they, say, believed in God, (and were up for some light-hearted debate...), as long as they weren't like, a missionary christian. you know, the kind that actively tries to convert you, won't.... fornicate prior to marriage...
Original post by FudgeMonkeys

So the title basically. If you don't believe in God would you be able to have a serious relationship with someone who does believe in God? And if you do believe in God could you have a serious relationship with somebody who doesn't? Even if one or both of you plans to have children?

Well I'm 17 so kids are out of the question for a long time. But I am currently dating someone who is religious. No problems so far, as both of us are accommodating for the other's beliefs (or in my case, lack of!).
I have been dating a muslim guy (I'm a guy, we're gay - obviously) for years. I love him but hate his religion. I tried attending a mosque for a year and heard so many negative things about homosexuals that I simply had to stop visiting the place. Actually it's not a place, it's many places. I visited several mosques and conversation would always touch on homosexuality. They just hate gay people with a passion, more than the christians do. I cannot generalize, but everyone at the mosques I attended would have very bad views about homosexuals, so I can only assume that the general feeling is the same. I personally think it's crazy how my boyfriend refuses to have sex, even though he wants it, because he doesn't want to shower. In islam, one is supposed to shower every time they reach an orgasm. So we hardly have sex anymore, because of this. The problem is that they have to pray 5 times a day and the times vary greatly according to the daylight throughout the year. Because they have to wake up at crazy times to pray, they don't have sex as they cannot pray without showering first. It's impossible to do it during the day because we're both working. He doesn't even touch me for an entire month (Ramadan), not even hugging is allowed. If I eat something with pork, no kissing. It's just annoying. If I knew that it would be like this, I would never have continued to date him, but you can't help who you fall in love with. The fact that he cannot commit and lets his family control his life is also frustrating, as I would expect an adult to be independent and take decisions on their own. If we ever break up, I will never date a religious person again. Only atheists going forward.
yes, but that's withstanding the fact that it would be an aggravating feature in the same way different politics would be
Nope, I would only consider being with a Christian man. I don't want constant conflict over many parts of our lives, and I want someone who will completely support me - I know that's what is best for me.

My ex said that he couldn't face that I put God first over him. I won't change that for anyone.
Please don't bump old threads :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending