The Student Room Group

Should scottish people get over their bitterness towards the english?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Kruz
Are you serious?

Those Africans that were enslaved by Europeans were at a far lower proportion to the Scottish/Irish that were enslaved around the same time.
Reply 61
Original post by vendettax
Those Africans that were enslaved by Europeans were at a far lower proportion to the Scottish/Irish that were enslaved around the same time.

That is a subtly different statement than your original, which was that "Scottish and Irish were enslaved at a far higher proportion to African people."

It is possible that the proportion of Africans enslaved by Europeans is less than the proportion of Europeans enslaved by Europeans, since most Africans were enslaved by Africans.

On the other hand, the numbers of "Scottish" or "Irish" people enslaved is very questionable, not least because when such people were being enslaved, there was no such country as "Ireland" or "Scotland." In tribal wars across the British Isles - as with most of Europe - people were enslaved by other tribes, just as they were across Africa.

None of this has anything at all to do with relatively modern history when Scotland took over the English crown and then merged parliaments a hundred years later. Nor has it anything to do with any bitterness the Scots feel towards the English for having subsumed England and Wales into the Scottish ruling elite.
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
:tongue: I didn't believe their reputation for being rude but after two weeks I began to understand it.

London is such a melting pot of different people and cultures - it's very hard for people to 'casually' absorb it all and treat everyone on the streets with friendliness and charm. On top of that, the pressures of daily life here, the crowds and constant jostling and bad behaviour make people develop a thick skin and (sadly) sometimes an abrasive, harsh attitude to others. This can come across as 'they don't like me because I'm from xxxx country' but it really isn't that on the whole - it's more like a general big city rudeness. Not that I'm making excuses, as a lot of the way Londoners treat others is out of order. On the other hand, it is still one of the friendliest and most caring of the big cities in the world, so it's not all bad.

I didn't notice any hate from Scottish people when I've been in Scotland, which is fairly often and in different parts of the country.
Original post by MrBleh95
1 in 10. 1 in 10. Your own statistics disprove your point. 10% is way too high a percentage to question the veracity of someone's claim to have experienced it. You're essentially saying, "Your parents were in the minority so they must be lying". Such logic.

I wasn't questioning it, I am just saying I don't believe it. With such a low instance of it occurring, I find it unlikely that it happened multiple times in such an overt manner as you describe. Wouldn't be the first time someone on the internet had lied, and it wouldn't be the first time I was proved wrong about such a thing if you had any proof, but you don't.

Twisting my point. I'm not saying you can't disagree with immigration, that's perfectly fine. All I said was that it's not unreasonable to expect that for some people this disagreement will turn into hatred. Therefore, it's hardly shocking that some people may experience abuse because of this sentiment being expressed in an idiotic way. Disagreement with immigration policy = freedom of speech. Mindless abuse of English people for being English = racism.

I agree. And when you see an instance of mindless abuse of English people, inform me ASAP.
Reply 64
Original post by Copperknickers
I wasn't questioning it, I am just saying I don't believe it. With such a low instance of it occurring, I find it unlikely that it happened multiple times in such an overt manner as you describe. Wouldn't be the first time someone on the internet had lied, and it wouldn't be the first time I was proved wrong about such a thing if you had any proof, but you don't.

I agree. And when you see an instance of mindless abuse of English people, inform me ASAP.

Oh yeah, just let me whip out the documented evidence from incidents that happened when I was between 6 months old and 3 years old.

Why would I be so pathetic as to make a thread based on lies? Are you really that sceptical about people's honesty?

You can believe whatever you want to believe, but you're deluding yourself if you think that this is something I'd bother to lie about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending