The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

Canterbury Christ Church Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by colef001
I've applied to Parham second and fifth! (Different room types!) Am I the only person who put in all 5 choices?

Nope, I put all five! :smile:
Lanfranc 1 & 2, Campus 3 & 4 and Pin Hill 5 (different types for the duplicates)
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
I've applied to Parham second and fifth! (Different room types!) Am I the only person who put in all 5 choices?

I put in all 5 choices as well it wouldnt let me press next unless I put all the choices in
Original post by chloerichards
So have you applied for accommodation yet?? Congratulations on your place : )

Thank you :biggrin: you too! I'm actually doing a house share with some buddies in town who already live in a student house so that should be pretty awesome! I've got a place on the degree so quickly as I'm a 'mature student' (makes me sound about 40 years old and I'm only 22 lol) and haven't come straight out of school waiting for results :smile:
Are people allowed to apply for accomodation? As it won't let me. Am I doing it wrong?

I firmed Canterbury yesterday. Should I be able to apply?
Reply 204
Original post by ashbash123
Are people allowed to apply for accomodation? As it won't let me. Am I doing it wrong?

I firmed Canterbury yesterday. Should I be able to apply?

Why can't you apply?

Go Here : https://secure.canterbury.ac.uk/studentnet/applicants/Logon.aspx

And use your UCAS personal ID, Surname and Date of Birth.

If that doesn't work, i can only assume that since you only firmed yesterday, you may have to wait a little before.
Reply 205
Original post by Debbie_xx
Nope, I put all five! :smile:
Lanfranc 1 & 2, Campus 3 & 4 and Pin Hill 5 (different types for the duplicates)

Phew! That's a relief. I was getting a bit worried that I'd done something weird!

I put Campus 1st and 4th, Parham 2nd and 5th and Pin Hill 3rd. (I think! I can't remember for sure!) Again, the duplicates are different types for me too. I really want an en-suite so my first 3 choices are all en-suite. I'm hoping for Campus though because I think that will be useful for first year!
Reply 206
Original post by mikkismiles
I put in all 5 choices as well it wouldnt let me press next unless I put all the choices in

Cool. Where have you chosen and what are you studying?
Cool. Where have you chosen and what are you studying?

I chose parham for all 5 choices but all different rooms it looked the best out of all the halls I viewed and I am studying digital media and media communications. How about you? What will you be studying?
Original post by tinkerbell2387
Hi, are you going to have your own car? I wasn't due to the cost of running a car but want to choose halls which are close to public transport, do you have any idea which hopsitals we are likely to be placed? x

Hi! Some of the hospitals are really far away like Maidstone. I was going to get rid of my car but decided to keep it because I didn't fancy getting on trains at 5am to start an early shift if it's really far away. I'll work out how I'm going to pay for the thing when I come to it :colondollar:
Reply 209
Original post by daniroberts824
Hi! Some of the hospitals are really far away like Maidstone. I was going to get rid of my car but decided to keep it because I didn't fancy getting on trains at 5am to start an early shift if it's really far away. I'll work out how I'm going to pay for the thing when I come to it :colondollar:

You can claim back the cost of the journey if it's further to your placement than it is to university. Which it's nearly always likely to be and if it's not you might not need to drive anyway! You fill in a form from NHS Bursaries and you can claim it back. I think you can claim back public transport as well but you need to keep every single ticket because they ask to see them all. That should help you out with the running costs at least a little bit. :smile:
Reply 210
Original post by mikkismiles
I chose parham for all 5 choices but all different rooms it looked the best out of all the halls I viewed and I am studying digital media and media communications. How about you? What will you be studying?

I'm doing Biosciences. I've only just managed to book onto an Open Day though! I wanted to go to the one in February but I couldn't get the time off, and a self-guided tour would mean you can't see much of the facilities. At least now I'll get to look at it before I move in!

Thanks, I thought about doing the same but have chosen halls near transport links so I could sell my car and not have to worry about paying for it. See you in Sept :smile:
You can claim back the cost of the journey if it's further to your placement than it is to university. Which it's nearly always likely to be and if it's not you might not need to drive anyway! You fill in a form from NHS Bursaries and you can claim it back. I think you can claim back public transport as well but you need to keep every single ticket because they ask to see them all. That should help you out with the running costs at least a little bit. :smile:

I forgot about that! Thanks so much!
Original post by tinkerbell2387
Thanks, I thought about doing the same but have chosen halls near transport links so I could sell my car and not have to worry about paying for it. See you in Sept :smile:

What accommodation is this please? I've just found out I might not be classed as independent so I am going to have to reconsider after all!!
What accommodation is this please? I've just found out I might not be classed as independent so I am going to have to reconsider after all!!

It's St Georges the new (expensive) :eek: accomodation, It's a two min walk to the bus station and 10 mins to the train station. I'll be 25 by the time I start so feeling this is better for me then Parham, although I've had to put that down to fill out my choices.
I'll be 25 as well! I took St Georges out because it was so expensive but then ended up replacing them with a standard superior at Parham anyway - such a douche! I do really want Parham though, especially as they have parking.

I don't suppose you can answer my question can you please?! I've ask NHS Bursaries on Facebook twice and they keep just feeding me the same info which doesn't answer my question, I've been Googling and Googling and cannot find an up to date answer for the new scheme! I've been working full time and supporting myself for the last 4 years so I would be classed as independent, but I've been living at home for most of it so I don't know if that will change things and I won't be classed as independent? I thought I would anyway because I would have been 25 but apparently that doesn't automatically class you as independent on the new scheme!
Reply 216
I'll be 25 as well! I took St Georges out because it was so expensive but then ended up replacing them with a standard superior at Parham anyway - such a douche! I do really want Parham though, especially as they have parking.

I don't suppose you can answer my question can you please?! I've ask NHS Bursaries on Facebook twice and they keep just feeding me the same info which doesn't answer my question, I've been Googling and Googling and cannot find an up to date answer for the new scheme! I've been working full time and supporting myself for the last 4 years so I would be classed as independent, but I've been living at home for most of it so I don't know if that will change things and I won't be classed as independent? I thought I would anyway because I would have been 25 but apparently that doesn't automatically class you as independent on the new scheme!

I'm not 100% certain but I think because you've still been living at home, you wouldn't be classed as independent as far as NHS Bursaries are concerned. That said, if I ever had a question I found the most effective way to get answers is to give them a call, they were always really helpful. The only way you'll know what applies to you is if you ask them because everyone's situation is different.

Good luck though!
Reply 217
Also I think Pin Hill is right next to Canterbury East station. Have you applied there?
Also I think Pin Hill is right next to Canterbury East station. Have you applied there?

I've applied for Parham and Pin Hill :-) I got a reply on facebook saying that I would be classed as independent as long as I send in the right documents, however she also said that because I'm still living at home I would only get the home rates but I'm hoping she just misunderstood me and that will change when I move to uni. Thanks so much for your help, I might give them a ring just to make sure!
Reply 219
I've applied for Parham and Pin Hill :-) I got a reply on facebook saying that I would be classed as independent as long as I send in the right documents, however she also said that because I'm still living at home I would only get the home rates but I'm hoping she just misunderstood me and that will change when I move to uni. Thanks so much for your help, I might give them a ring just to make sure!

It's no problem! Yeah, they ask you where you'll be living during term-time, so if she said you're classed as independent and you'll be living in student accommodation, you should get all the bursary that you're entitled to! I would give them a ring just to confirm but I hope it all goes well!

Quick Reply

Latest