The Student Room Group

C3 Quotient Rule help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hash007
Well I didn't really use it much in C1 + C2? I don't recall doing many questions involving it, and I got an A at AS Maths.

Presumably you DID complete the square numerous times last year though ...
Original post by hash007
Did you get this for the second part?

I found the second bit where you had to differentiate far simpler than the first part!

The first derivitive is ex(x26x+5)-e^{-x} (x^2 -6x +5) and the second derivitive is ex(x28x+11)e^{-x} (x^2 - 8x +11)

If you have done all of the other stuff correctly then your answer is fine. (:
Original post by omgilyx
That's what I said. -.-

No, you suggested that he divided throughout by e^-x; which I pointed out was a pointless step.
Reply 23
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
No, you suggested that he divided throughout by e^-x; which I pointed out was a pointless step.

Umm so how else do you get rid of it? Numbers don't randomly disappear, you know?
Original post by omgilyx
Umm so how else do you get rid of it?

Let me explain ...

If A x B = 0 then either A=0 and/ or B=0.
No division required.
I have taught this stuff for long enough to know precisely how it works.

Original post by omgilyx

Numbers don't randomly disappear, you know?

well firstly, e^-x is not a number, depending on context it may be a term in an expression, it may be a function etc ..., e^-x will of course take a numeric value when you assign a value for the independent variable.

Your suggested approach of "dividing throughout by e^-x" is often used by weaker students and unfortunately they frequently do exactly the same thing in cases like
sin x. (x^2-9) = 0; subsequently losing a whole load of solutions.
Reply 25
Let me explain ...

If A x B = 0 then either A=0 and/ or B=0.
No division required.
I have taught this stuff for long enough to know precisely how it works.

well firstly, e^-x is not a number, depending on context it may be a term in an expression, it may be a function etc ..., e^-x will of course take a numeric value when you assign a value for the independent variable.

Your suggested approach of "dividing throughout by e^-x" is often used by weaker students and unfortunately they frequently do exactly the same thing in cases like
sin x. (x^2-9) = 0; subsequently losing a whole load of solutions.

Because 0/A = 0 or 0/B = 0.
exe^{-x} can never equal zero, chaps.
Reply 27
Original post by Perpetuallity

Which is why it's perfectly viable to divide through by it.
Reply 28

Yes but the point is that you shouldn't tell people to divide through by exe^{-x} because people may get in to the habit of dividing through by terms which do in fact equal zero and they can miss a possible solution. It is much better to write ex=0e^{-x} = 0 and then say that there are no solutions to that equation.
Original post by omgilyx

Original post by soup
Yes but the point is that you shouldn't tell people to divide through by exe^{-x} because people may get in to the habit of dividing through by terms which do in fact equal zero and they can miss a possible solution. It is much better to write ex=0e^{-x} = 0 and then say that there are no solutions to that equation.

My point is that exe^{-x} cannot be zero, therefore x24x+1x^2 -4x +1 must be equal to zero. I'm not condoning dividing through by it at all.
Reply 30

Do I need to know why it doesn't = 0 for C3 maths?
Reply 31
Original post by hash007

Yes; in fact, you should know from C1 Maths why powers of non-zero numbers are always non-zero.
Original post by hash007

Yes, you should know. You'll find it quite intuitive if you try to find a value of x for which ex=0e^{-x} = 0. (You won't be able to find a value :tongue:)

On the graph of exe^{-x}, the function can approch zero, but it never get's there, i.e. there is an asymptote at y=0.

And so the limit as x tends to infinity of exe^{-x} is 0
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
My point is that exe^{-x} cannot be zero, therefore x24x+1x^2 -4x +1 must be equal to zero. I'm not condoning dividing through by it at all.

Lol, you don't have to condone it; either way works.
Original post by omgilyx

I really am not sure why you want to continue with this ... however if you really are struggling to understand the implications of A x B x C x .... x Z=0 ... and can only proceed by performing a pointless division then carry on by all means.

The fact of the matter is that there are many bright students on here who do not need the waters muddying by what is essentially bad advice and indeed something that only weaker students would do. Sorry, but that really is how it is.
Original post by omgilyx

Being viable and being useful are not the same thing.
Original post by hash007
Well I didn't really use it much in C1 + C2? I don't recall doing many questions involving it, and I got an A at AS Maths.

Lol, this is a howler worse than Torres's.
Original post by omgilyx

That is not correct. The reason AxB = 0 implies A=0 or B=0 is because the real numbers form an euclidean domain. It's certainly not because 0/A = 0 or 0/B = 0 (where does this even come from?)

Being viable and being useful are not the same thing.

To be fair, dividing by e^(-x) does yield the correct answer, and can be justified by saying that e^(-x) is non zero.
Original post by IrrationalNumber

To be fair, dividing by e^(-x) does yield the correct answer, and can be justified by saying that e^(-x) is non zero.

My friend, I have never doubted the validity of so doing.
The point is, should an A - level study need to divide A x B = 0 throughout by B to draw the conclusion that A = 0 or likewise divide throughout by A to arrive at B = 0 .... I rather think not!!

The point is, should an A - level study need to divide A x B = 0 throughout by B to draw the conclusion that A = 0 or likewise divide throughout by A to arrive at B = 0 .... I rather think not!!

Agreed, and the division only becomes valid after concluding that e^-x is non zero.

Quick Reply

Latest