The Student Room Group

Schrodinger Equation (Hydrogen)

This is possibly a question for the physics forum, but the bulk of the meat is maths, despite this question being an extension in my physical chemitry textbook! Here goes...

The form of the Schrodinger equation for the energy E of the 1s orbital in the hydrogen atom is as follows:

h28π2m[d2Ψdr2+(2r)dΨdr]e24πϵ0rΨ=EΨ-\frac{h^2}{8\pi^2 m} [\frac{d^2 \Psi}{dr^2} + (\frac{2}{r}) \frac{d \Psi}{dr}] - \frac{e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r}\Psi = E\Psi

where hh is the planck constant, mm is the mass of the electron, ee is the charge on the electron and ϵ0\epsilon_0 is the fundamental constant; vaccum permittity. The second (square bracketed) term is the kinetic energy of the electron, and the third term is potential energy due to electrostatic attraction to a single proton at a distance r. Also note that a0=ϵ0h2πme2a_0=\frac{\epsilon_0 h^2}{\pi m e^2} .

Find EE.

My first instinct was to multiply both sides by 8π2mh2\frac{-8\pi^2 m}{h^2} and collect together fundamental constants using a0=ϵ0h2πme2a_0=\frac{\epsilon_0 h^2}{\pi m e^2} , which gets me to

d2Ψdr2+(2r)dΨdr+2a0rΨ=(8π2mEh2)Ψ\frac{d^2 \Psi}{dr^2} +(\frac{2}{r}) \frac{d \Psi}{dr} + \frac{2}{a_0 r} \Psi = (\frac{-8 \pi^2 m E}{h^2}) \Psi ,

which is a little hairy.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Edit: If you plug in all of the constants into "E=..." and multiply by the Avogrado constant, you get 1310KJmol11310 KJ mol^{-1}, the first ionisation enthalphy for hydrogen; pretty cool.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
It's a differential equation. No physics here at all - just solve it.
Reply 2
The first two terms (the ones with the 1st and 2nd derivatives of phi) can be written as rmddr(rndΦdr)r^m \dfrac{d}{dr}\left( r^n \dfrac{d\Phi}{dr}\right) for suitable choices of m and n.
Original post by SimonM
It's a differential equation. No physics here at all - just solve it.

Original post by DFranklin
The first two terms (the ones with the 1st and 2nd derivatives of phi) can be written as rmddr(rndΦdr)r^m \dfrac{d}{dr}\left( r^n \dfrac{d\Phi}{dr}\right) for suitable choices of m and n.

Right. I'm trying to avoid solving this differential equation by direct methods. It looks nasty. After some google-ing, it turns out that the second and third terms cancel out if dΨdr=Ψa0\frac{d \Psi}{dr} = \frac{-\Psi}{a_0}

which is the equation for exponential decay, whose solution is Ψ=Ψ0er/a0\Psi = \Psi_0 e^{-r/a_0}

The energy for the 1s orbital is found by differentiating my solution attempt in my OP again, apparently (instinct got me somewhere at least)

d2Ψdr2=ddr(dΨdr)=ddr(Ψa0)=Ψa02\Rightarrow \frac{d^2 \Psi}{dr^2} = \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{d \Psi}{dr}) = \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{\Psi}{a_0}) = \frac{\Psi}{{a_0}^2}

1a02=8π2mEh2\frac{1}{{a_0}^2} = \frac{-8 \pi^2 mE}{h^2}

E=h28π2ma02\therefore E=\frac{-h^2}{8 \pi^2 m{a_0}^2}

Pretty cool. Cheers.

Edit: Actually, now with the benefit of heinsight, the DE doesn't look too bad.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Perpetuallity
d2Ψdr2=ddr(dΨdr)=ddr(Ψa0)=Ψa02\Rightarrow \frac{d^2 \Psi}{dr^2} = \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{d \Psi}{dr}) = \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{\Psi}{a_0}) = \frac{\Psi}{{a_0}^2}

Sorry I'm just being nosy here but could you explain to me how you got the last part of this line? (I can't see how you've differentiated that :colondollar:)
Reply 5
See the "assumption" in the first line of Perpetuality's previous post.
Original post by DFranklin
See the "assumption" in the first line of Perpetuality's previous post.

Aah yeah I see it now, silly me.

Quick Reply

Latest