The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by DYKWIA
how so? Simply because lots of people are turning gay doesn't make them any more right. If you get the right to marry another guy, why doesn't Joe Animalphile get to marry spot, his pet dog?

Yep, two humans (the same species) marrying is completely the same as a man marrying a dog. Cool story bro.

Don't you get bored of attempting to make me look stupid?

When yoiu use such points as above, it isn't hard.
I dont mind gay people or them kissing in public, just the overflamboyant bitchy like a woman gays just annoy me to hell.
Reply 182
Original post by DYKWIA
how so? Simply because lots of people are turning gay doesn't make them any more right. If you get the right to marry another guy, why doesn't Joe Animalphile get to marry spot, his pet dog?

Because Spot can't consent. This whole line of argument is only meaningful if you start with the premise that gay people are, by definition, either not human or mentally incompetent.
Original post by DYKWIA
it would destroy the ideals behind marriage and by legalizing gay marriage you open up marriage to all sorts of weird marriages. Gay marriage is bad enough, but what happens when suddenly people are shouting about unequal rights because they can't marry their pet goldfish?

Destroy the more literal biblical ideal of marriage..sure. But guess what, I'm not asking to be married in church, or have a christian marriage. Some people want that, and some churches will go for it, that's their decision. No ones forxing you to be a member of a church which would permit it

Marriage is easily defined as being between two consenting human beings. An animal can't give informed consent to marriage, or sign a marriage certificate, so this bestiality thing is a non-starter anyway. In fact, it's ridiculous. Not in any way comparable, because of the informed consent issue
Reply 184
Original post by mmmpie
Because Spot can't consent. This whole line of argument is only meaningful if you start with the premise that gay people are, by definition, either not human or mentally incompetent.

Original post by SilverArch
Marriage is easily defined as being between two consenting human beings. An animal can't give informed consent to marriage, or sign a marriage certificate, so this bestiality thing is a non-starter anyway. In fact, it's ridiculous. Not in any way comparable, because of the informed consent issue

Yes, it was a ridiculous example, but it is meant to highlight the slippery slope that gay marriage leads to. Polygamy or inter-family marriage isn't that much of a jump though....
Reply 185
Original post by DYKWIA
Yes, it was a ridiculous example, but it is meant to highlight the slippery slope that gay marriage leads to. Polygamy or inter-family marriage isn't that much of a jump though....

Even though inter-family marriage is legal in some US states.
Reply 186
Original post by Lewis :D
Even though inter-family marriage is legal in some US states.

Just because some states do it doesn't make it right.
Original post by DYKWIA
it would destroy the ideals behind marriage and by legalizing gay marriage you open up marriage to all sorts of weird marriages. Gay marriage is bad enough, but what happens when suddenly people are shouting about unequal rights because they can't marry their pet goldfish?

You don't seem to get it, a goldfish is not able to give consent to any sort of sexual/romantic relation. A gay couple on the other hand, often features two people who love each other (the same way as you may love a woman), each providing mutual consent
Original post by DYKWIA
Christians are worse, trying to force their religion on others.

Fixed for you, mate.
Original post by alphabet
until someone proves being gay is nature over nurture, i will continue to condemn homosexuality

The soul doesn't exist, meaning that everything related to one's character, personality etc is the result of brain chemistry. This means that sexuality is down to brain chemistry... are you really about to condemn somebody for the chemistry of their brain?
Reply 190
Original post by DYKWIA

it's a human being. and if you actually are ignorant enough to believe people turn gay or choose to be I'm not even going to bother
Reply 191
Original post by Oliver.93
it's a human being. and if you actually are ignorant enough to believe people turn gay or choose to be I'm not even going to bother

And what about polygamous marriage and inter-family marriage, should those be condoned too?
Reply 192
Original post by DYKWIA
And what about polygamous marriage and inter-family marriage, should those be condoned too?

I don't see why consenting people shouldn't be allowed to marry, so yes. The fuss is all stupid anyway because it's a worthless and redundant institution anyway.
Reply 193
Original post by Oliver.93
I don't see why consenting people shouldn't be allowed to marry, so yes. The fuss is all stupid anyway because it's a worthless and redundant institution anyway.

Then why are y'all so adamant about gay marriage?
Original post by DYKWIA

Well, for a start there can only be heterosexual polygamy until gay marriage is allowed, so to campaign right now for polygamy would be to once again divert the issue.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
It has changed, and continues to change and i'm glad for that.

My brother is 9 years old, and is already being teased about such things just because he 'is camp and acts like a gaylord'according to one kid 0.o, even though he is so young and essentially they don't know the difference and what being gay is apart from the innocent in a sense 'more mature' view that 'its just a man who loves a man' and i applaud my brother for having such views but if he does end up growing up to be gay, or even camp, i really hope he isn't one of those that get bullied because i don't know how i'd be able to not go in and shout to hell at these kids. I do hope that in the next few years these kids grow up being more accepting to something so.. well.. natural.

Do you feel the same way about cannibalism? It's....well....natural.
Reply 196
Original post by DYKWIA

because it's just an obvious example of the state basically singling out a group as second class citizens without the same rights as everyone else
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 197
Original post by DYKWIA

Slippery slope is a fallacy, you're appealing to emotion. Unless you can demonstrate a causal link between legalising same-sex marriage and legalising plural marriage.

I don't see why those are problematic either. I'm sure you do, but do you care to ell us why?
Reply 198
Original post by Liam_G
I'm just not very fond of mau5's vehemently homophobic responses in this thread, and you seem to be defending him, so I'm naturally going to want to respond :yes:

Pathetic.
Reply 199
Original post by Retrodiction
The soul doesn't exist, meaning that everything related to one's character, personality etc is the result of brain chemistry. This means that sexuality is down to brain chemistry... are you really about to condemn somebody for the chemistry of their brain?

yes

Latest

Trending

Trending