The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Elf.
What do you mean by "the terms are limited"??

To OP, I think we are moving towards a more open society, though of course it's sad that there's still so much discrimination and people feeling uncomfortable with expressing their sexuality. Though I think most people my age (just started Uni) are fairly open minded about sexuality as it's normal to know gay people... Obviously a massive generalisation, I can only speak from my own experience :smile:. There will always be idiots who cant understand anything they don't experience themselves.

I just meant you aren't necessarily just gay or straight or bi at any point in your life, and it can change (like how peopel experiemnt when young). It's more a scale like Kinsey. But seriously there very few women I would consider a relationship with in comparison to men so I wouldn't say i'm bi, but I find it alot easier to have sex with girls even though it doesn't turn me on as much because it means nothing to me in comparison to men, like sexuality is really complicated.
Reply 161
Original post by SilverArch
Christianity doesn't have to change - because marriage wasn't invented by Christianity. It was around long before Jesus was. Christians caught on, and invented their own form of marriage in the church with God's blessing. I personally do not want a christian marriage - I want a secular marriage. Which the government has the right to control without interference from the church. The church might have invented a new form of marriage but they don't get to take it over altogether and ban other forms of marriage which are just as legitimate

And yes, it is narrow minded. I accept openly Christian people! I don't agree with your opinions but I respect your right to have them. I repsect your religious lifestyle - going to church and praying etc and I wouldn't try to control that if I were in charge of a country - so don't try and control me according to your beliefs either

You do have just as many rights though, you have every right to marry a person of the opposite sex.

Also, you may be asking for gay marriage now, but what happens when it leads to polygamy or worse?
Original post by DYKWIA
You do have just as many rights though, you have every right to marry a person of the opposite sex.

Also, you may be asking for gay marriage now, but what happens when it leads to polygamy or worse?

lol wut?
Reply 163
calm down and stop swearing and learn to respect opinions
Reply 164
Original post by marc_h94
You really are an idiot. You can't have "nature over nuture"or vice versa. The two are subtly interlinked.

you're an idiot for getting so upset
I honestly can't see anything wrong with homosexuality, and I was raised a Catholic. My parents are also fine with it.

I laugh at homophobes sometimes, because I see them as being just ignorant, uneducated, illogical pejoratives, who have little actual experience with homosexuals.
backs against the wall then lads, the gays r in town

jokes aside 2 of my best friends where i used to live are a gay couple and tbf that's the sort of joke i usually make with them lol. both of them are just your stereotypical lads tbh, i knew them for months before i found out they were a couple or gay. both really cool guys and fun to be around, and nights out with them are like nights out with anyone else.

one of them despises stereotypical camp gay guys, so much so that he got kicked out a pub for ''homophobia'' when he called a really feminine gay bloke a ''poof''. when he explained he was gay himself bouncer didnt believe him, so he grabbed his boyfriend and snogged him, bouncer then just thought he was taking the piss and kicked him out anyway

they said to me once they've enver had any homophobia at all really, but that's probably because it's not obvious they are gay. i suppose there is still some prejudice around, but there are a lot of cultures in this world that view it with disdain and whilst we don't agree with it, it's their right and i like the OP because he accepts this and isn't trying to change them, just get them to tolerate him the way he tolerates them. i think toleration of our disagreements is better than us all agreeing and not having to tolerate each other.
Reply 167
Original post by Id and Ego seek
I honestly can't see anything wrong with homosexuality, and I was raised a Catholic. My parents are also fine with it.

I laugh at homophobes sometimes, because I see them as being just ignorant, uneducated, illogical pejoratives, who have little actual experience with homosexuals.

Gays are worse, trying to force their sexuality on others.
Unfortunately Homophobia will probably always exist just like racism. However hopefully only very few people will think that way and the majority of people will be accepting.
Reply 169
Original post by PeaceFreak
Basically TL;DR: Do you think attitudes towards gay people are changing? Do you think the attitudes of gay people are changing? Will being gay ever be fully accepted?

I have never felt "discrimination" or "prejudice" that certain sorts of homosexuals go on about so much. So, for me, being gay is completely accepted and fine. For them? Evidently not.
This reminds us that ultimately the existence of a "tolerant" and gay-friendly environment is entirely subjective, and apparently some people are never satisfied. It's all in your head, in the end, if you want to get upset and offended about something or if you want to think that everything's cool and my being gay isn't a problem.

Gays (and other specially-protected and easily-offended groups) need to take some responsibility as well, frankly, and try to stop the relentless expansion of their "things that offend us" list.

Nearly all my gay friends are like me and are totally normal people and have never SUFFERED THE HORRIFIC PREJUDICE THAT IS RAMPANT IN OUR SOCIETY TODAY LOLOLOL

The only ones who do are the super-sensitive fairy fags who piss everyone off and provoke people, and then are especially sensitive to insults etc anyway.
It really does not matter if people are gay/straight/bi it's the person's personality. Being gay does not affect how you treat other people and for most people homosexuality is not a choice. But, being homophobic is.
Reply 171
Original post by DYKWIA

completely different issue, and in any case so what?
Reply 172
This is possibly the first forum I've come across with gay guys that isn't covered in these 'fairy fags' with their Glee avatars and 'fml's. This makes me happy.
Reply 173
Original post by StephenP15
homosexuality is not a choice. But, being homophobic is.

This would open a can of worms, philosophically. Best not go there. We are not in immediate control of our emotions and opinions, they are not a "choice" as such, but shaped over years and decades of social influence (as is our sexuality, to a significant degree...)
Reply 174
Original post by Oliver.93
completely different issue, and in any case so what?

it would destroy the ideals behind marriage and by legalizing gay marriage you open up marriage to all sorts of weird marriages. Gay marriage is bad enough, but what happens when suddenly people are shouting about unequal rights because they can't marry their pet goldfish?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 175
Original post by DYKWIA
it would destroy the ideals behind marriage and by legalizing gay marriage you open up marriage to all sorts of weird marriages. What happens when suddenly people are shouting about unequal rights because they can't marry their pet goldfish? Gay marriage is bad enough, but it opens a can of worms which makes matters far worse.

Well their own marriages wouldn't stand for the same ideals, yes, that much is true. But I don't see how it should affect anyone else's. And it's obviously a completely different issue to people marrying their pets, gay people are still human beings, it's a fairly obvious distinction to make.
Reply 176
Original post by DYKWIA
it would destroy the ideals behind marriage and by legalizing gay marriage you open up marriage to all sorts of weird marriages. Gay marriage is bad enough, but what happens when suddenly people are shouting about unequal rights because they can't marry their pet goldfish?

You literally have not come up with one single good argument yet.

Don't you get bored of idiotic rambling?
Reply 177
Original post by Oliver.93
Well their own marriages wouldn't stand for the same ideals, yes, that much is true. But I don't see how it should affect anyone else's. And it's obviously a completely different issue to people marrying their pets, gay people are still human beings, it's a fairly obvious distinction to make.

how so? Simply because lots of people are turning gay doesn't make them any more right. If you get the right to marry another guy, why doesn't Joe Animalphile get to marry spot, his pet dog?

Original post by Tommyjw
You literally have not come up with one single good argument yet.

Don't you get bored of idiotic rambling?

Don't you get bored of attempting to make me look stupid?
haha lol stupid gay homos...

"gay" and "homo", these words are generally used to insult others, so no u are a sub category, worse than animals..

I hope all u gays RIP, that is Rest in Piss..
Reply 179
Original post by zedeneye1
haha lol stupid gay homos...

"gay" and "homo", these words are generally used to insult others, so no u are a sub category, worse than animals..

I hope all u gays RIP, that is Rest in Piss..

Thnx bro

Latest

Trending

Trending