The Student Room Group

Chemistry unit 4 AQA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
I thought that was just adding something to be a buffer? like ethanoic acid?
Original post by Vinz93
been established already: ACDB

My teacher said it was ADCB or something! :confused:
Reply 1182
Original post by izzwizz
Oh and doesn't an ester have dipole dipole between molecules?

yes. probs polyamides have hydrogen bonding and polyesters have dipole-dipole/vdw (1) and hydrogen bonding stronger then dipole-dipole/vdw (1)
Original post by Chemteacher
Question 3d specifically said an organic compound, and Ammonia isn't an organic compound. it would have to be an alkylammonium salt.

I'm not sure what the question was, but I think I put CH3CH2NH-Na+ for the buffer and CH3CH2NH2 for the compound
Reply 1184
Original post by handsome7654
My teacher said it was ADCB or something! :confused:

the something being ACDB. maybe u misheard or its hazy in your memory now? Many people on this forum have posted with ACDB. :s-smilie:
Reply 1185
Think the marks schemes left out the question on that proton nor where you had to determin the structure and you where given the integration values in the table.
Originally by TheBigDog, amended too many times to mention everyone...

1a) rate - 14.4x10^-3, Q - 0.1, P - 0.30 (3)
b) rate constant and units - 0.15 mol-2dm+6s-1 (3)
c) exponential graph - G (1) 7 marks

2a) sufur trioxide = 5.2 (1)
dioxide - 2.8 (1)
b) Kc = [O2][SO2]^2/[SO3]^2 (1)
c) 0.0338 (3)
d)i) increased (1)
ii) no effect (1)
e) higher temperature was T1, T2 had to be lower because Kc fell, which meant products fell. Backward was exo so a fall in temp would increase exo reactants. (3) 12 marks

3a) proton acceptor (1)
b) CH3CH2NH2 + H2O --> CH3CH2N+H3 + OH-
b) ii) As the ammonium ion can dissociate easily in equilibrium/ only partially dissociates in water
c) ethylamine stronger, inductive effect of alkyl group increases availability of lone pair on N to accept a proton (3)
d) NH3 / CH3CH2N+H3Cl / ? (1)
e) NH3 + H20 -> NH4+ + OH- reacts with ethylamine from the solution, which in turn makes the ethyl ammonium salt so concentration of H+ stays same due to shift of equilibrium position
adding H+ makes H20 with OH ions, equilibrium shifts right to replace the OH ions (2) 10 marks

4a) pH = 0.177 (2)
b) partially dissociates Ka = [H+][OH-] / [HX]
c) Ka = 3.09 x 10^-5 (3)
d) pH = 12.94 (6) 12 marks
5a) H. (1)
b) CH3.(1)
c) peak 29 = CHO. and CH3CH2. (2)
c) ACDB (4)

6a) OH (1)
bi) RC(=O)CH2RR (?)
ii) CH3C(=O)R (?)
iii) RC(OH)(CH3)2 (?)
c) CH3C(=O)CH2C(OH)(CH3)2 (?) total marks?

7a) Heat breaks down peptide link to form non-sweet amino acids, gets rid of flavour
b) 2-amino- 1,4 butandioic acid , don't need 1, 4 (1)
c) high pH = COO- *on both COOH groups* (1)
d) zwitterions (1)
c) stereoisomer same structural formula, arranged differently in space (2)
ii) pair of optical isomer will rotate plane polarized light different directions (2) 7 marks

8a) 3 uses = soap (sodium salt), biodiesel (methyl ester), cationic surfactant / fabric softener
(quaternary ammonium ion) (3)
b) common name and type = terylene and polyester (2)
Kevlar or any Nylon and polyamide (2)
c) polyamide has hydrogen bonds, polyester just has van der wals (2) 9 marks

9a) many possible equations, HNO3 + H2SO4 = H20 + NO2+ + HSO4-
Both concentrated (3)
b) mechanism (3)
c) Cmnr = 5 (1)
Hnmr = 2 (1)
d) 2C7H5N3O6-> 7CO + 7C + 5H2O + 3N2 (1) 9 marks

10a) nucleophilic addition elimination made propanimide (6)
b) nucleophilic substitution made primary amide of propylamine (6)
c) electrostatic repulsion (because NH3 has a lone pair and is attacking an electron-rich ring The delta positive will be delocalised into the ring, making the carbon less prone to nucleophilic attack (1) 13 marks

11. propan-2-ol and propene (2)
Step 1 = NaBH4 and nuc. addition (2) (or LiAlH4)
Step 2 = conc phosphoric acid / conc H2SO4 and elimination (2)
Step 3 = HBr and electrophilic addition (2) 8 marks

Not too sure of ones in bold, will someone check?

with updated 6
Reply 1187
Original post by Vinz93
the something being ACDB. maybe u misheard or its hazy in your memory now? Many people on this forum have posted with ACDB. :s-smilie:

the middle CD seems right to me but I can't remember for the life of me what I put, whether it was AB or BA :s-smilie:
Reply 1188
*nmr
Question 6)

a) OH

b) RCOCH

c) RCOCH

d) RCH3

e) 4 hydroxy 2,2 dimethylbutan2one
On the markscheme for 6a), did we have to write O-H (alcohol)? Because there are O-H (acid) too
Question 6)

a) OH

b) RCOCH

c) RCOCH

d) RCH3

Total Marks 5
Original post by wibletg
the middle CD seems right to me but I can't remember for the life of me what I put, whether it was AB or BA :s-smilie:

It's ACDB, I remember I checked and verified in the exam that A was first and C was second. Drew the fragment lines across the bonds with the m/z value of the leftover bit written beside them, lol
Reply 1193
with stereoisomer, i think you can have same molecular formula too

and 6a) will be very specific...OH (alcohols)
Original post by juliewho
On the markscheme for 6a), did we have to write O-H (alcohol)? Because there are O-H (acid) too

Yes. I suspect alcohol will be underlined specifically in the mark scheme as usual

I would have told my kids to put alcohol at the end, but not too sure what the examiner would say after all an OH is the functional group
Question 6)

a) OH

b) RCOCH

c) RCOCH

d) RCH3

****! You had to name the molecule?!! I don't think I named it! :mad:
Original post by Yosemite80
Yes. I suspect alcohol will be underlined specifically in the mark scheme as usual

Agreed
Reply 1198
What was question 5! It's really bugging mee :frown:
Reply 1199
Original post by Manii93
Probably 1 or 2 marks below average since the alkaline buffer seems to have thrown a lot of people off (well people in my school thought so anyway), but generally it was standard with a hint of 'weirdness'. :biggrin:

yes and also the polymers question too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending