The Student Room Group

Decide whether the map is linear

"Consider ψ:R3R2 \psi : R^{3} \mapsto R^{2}

ψ(a,b,c)= \psi (a , b, c) = (7a+6b3c9a+8b3c)\begin{pmatrix} 7a + 6b - 3c \\ -9a + 8b - 3c \end{pmatrix}

Decide whether ψ \psi is a linear map."

How do you work this out?
Reply 1
There's not much advice I can really give other than... check whether it satisfies the conditions for being a linear map.
Original post by nuodai
There's not much advice I can really give other than... check whether it satisfies the conditions for being a linear map.

The two conditions (from wikipedia) are:

f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) f (\vec{x} + \vec{y}) = f(\vec{x}) + f(\vec{y})

and

f(αx)=αf(x) f(\alpha x) = \alpha f(x)

I don't get how to use them.

I don't get what they mean by f(x).
Reply 3
Original post by claret_n_blue
The two conditions (from wikipedia) are:

f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) f (\vec{x} + \vec{y}) = f(\vec{x}) + f(\vec{y})

and

f(αx)=αf(x) f(\alpha x) = \alpha f(x)

I don't get how to use them.

I don't get what they mean by f(x).

Here x\vec{x} is interpreted to be a vector (a,b,c)(a,b,c). So for example α(a,b,c)=(αa,αb,αc)\alpha(a,b,c) = (\alpha a, \alpha b, \alpha c).

So you need to check whether or not

f(a,b,c)+f(p,q,r)=f(a+p,b+q,c+r)f(a, b, c) + f(p, q, r) = f(a + p, b + q, c + r)

and

λf(a,b,c)=f(λa,λb,λc)\lambda f(a,b,c) = f(\lambda a, \lambda b, \lambda c)

both hold. If they do then it's linear; if they don't then it isn't.
Original post by nuodai
Here x\vec{x} is interpreted to be a vector (a,b,c)(a,b,c). So for example α(a,b,c)=(αa,αb,αc)\alpha(a,b,c) = (\alpha a, \alpha b, \alpha c).

So you need to check whether or not

f(a,b,c)+f(p,q,r)=f(a+p,b+q,c+r)f(a, b, c) + f(p, q, r) = f(a + p, b + q, c + r)

and

λf(a,b,c)=f(λa,λb,λc)\lambda f(a,b,c) = f(\lambda a, \lambda b, \lambda c)

both hold. If they do then it's linear; if they don't then it isn't.

I don't get what you mean by

How would I check that? Surely that hold for everything, regardless of whatever numbers there are in it?

With my question, what I did was:

(7a+6b3c9a+8b3c)\begin{pmatrix} 7a + 6b - 3c \\ -9a + 8b - 3c \end{pmatrix}

So therefore 7a+6b3c9a+8b3c=2a+14b6c 7a + 6b - 3c - 9a + 8b - 3c = -2a + 14b - 6c

That shows us what f(a,b,c)+f(p,q,r)f(a, b, c) + f(p, q, r) equals.

Then:

f(a+p,b+q,c+r)=(79),(6+8),(33)=(2,14,6) f(a + p, b + q, c + r) = (7 - 9), (6 + 8), (-3 - 3) = (-2, 14, -6) which is the same for the first one, so the addition axiom holds.

For the multiplication one, do I simply say that:

λ(796833)=\lambda \begin{pmatrix} 7 & -9 \\6 & 8 \\-3 & -3 \end{pmatrix} = (λ7λ(9)λ6λ8λ(3)λ(3))\begin{pmatrix} \lambda7 & \lambda(-9)\\ \lambda6 & \lambda8\\ \lambda(-3) & \lambda(-3) \end{pmatrix}

so that axiom holds and therfore ψ \psi is a linear map.

Sorry if they're dumb questions, I'm just struggling a bit getting my head around this. I'm sure once I've done one I should be able to understand it a bit more.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
What on earth...? Something is fundamentally wrong with your understanding of this question. What's this related to? Do you have lecture notes on this, etc?
Original post by nuodai
What on earth...? Something is fundamentally wrong with your understanding of this question. What's this related to? Do you have lecture notes on this, etc?

I have notes but they say exactly the same thing as Wikipedia and so I'm struggling to understand.

Just to let you know. This question is a practice question and I already know the answer, this is a linear map. I'm just struggling as to how they got to that conclusion so I can actually do it for the real question.

This is an example we did:

"ψR2R2,ψ(x,y)=(2x,2y) \psi R^{2} \mapsto R^{2} , \psi (x, y) = (2x, 2y)

1st axiom:

ψ((x1,y1)+(x2,y2))=ψ((x1+x2),(y1+y2))=(2(x1+x2),2(y1+y2)) \psi ( (x_1, y_1) + (x_2, y_2) ) = \psi ( (x_1 + x_2), (y_1 + y_2) ) = ( 2(x_1 + x_2), 2(y_1 + y_2) )

ψ(x1,y1)+ψ(x2,y2)=(2x1,2y1)+(2x2,2y2)==(2x1+2x2,2y1+2y2)=(2(x1+x2),2(y1+y2)) \psi (x_1, y_1) + \psi (x_2, y_2) = (2x_1, 2y_1) + (2x_2, 2y_2) = = (2x_1 + 2x_2, 2y_1 + 2y_2) = ( 2(x_1 + x_2), 2 (y_1 + y_2) )

So the first axiom holds.

2nd axiom:

ψ(λ(x,y))=ψ(λx,λy)=(2λx,2λy) \psi ( \lambda (x,y)) = \psi (\lambda x, \lambda y) = (2\lambda x, 2\lambda y)

λψ(x,y)=λ(2x,2y)=(2λx,2λy) \lambda \psi (x, y) = \lambda (2x, 2y) = (2\lambda x, 2\lambda y)

So the second axiom holds.

I understand all this because they told me exactly what psi was and what it equals so I can follow the steps. But in my question, they've given it to me in a matrix and instead of going from to R², it goes from to R². That throws me a little.

Quick Reply

Latest