The Student Room Group

Commuting to uni?

I'm considering going to Warwick uni and currently live in Banbury (about 30 miles away). According to google maps, this would be a 36-minute drive or about an hour and a quarter if using the trains.
I'm still not sure between uni or a degree apprenticeship as I really don't enjoy school, so would mostly be at uni purely for the qualification and as an introvert, am not too fussed about social events, although I have seen a couple of societies I might try if I do go there.
I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about whether this is a good idea or not as while I can keep my part-time job here, be in my own home and still see my current friends on weekends, it's not necessarily much cheaper than renting accommodation and would add at least an hour or 2 to my day.
Original post by Amy.fallowfield
I'm considering going to Warwick uni and currently live in Banbury (about 30 miles away). According to google maps, this would be a 36-minute drive or about an hour and a quarter if using the trains.
I'm still not sure between uni or a degree apprenticeship as I really don't enjoy school, so would mostly be at uni purely for the qualification and as an introvert, am not too fussed about social events, although I have seen a couple of societies I might try if I do go there.
I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about whether this is a good idea or not as while I can keep my part-time job here, be in my own home and still see my current friends on weekends, it's not necessarily much cheaper than renting accommodation and would add at least an hour or 2 to my day.

Hi Amy,

With regards to commuting, it has worked out for me. I live in Birmingham and go to Coventry University, it is about an hour and 15 minutes commute each way. It has been manageable, and I have now gotten used to it. Good public transport links, so it is alright.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hi @Amy.fallowfield,

I was in a similar position when deciding which uni to choose, as I don’t live nearby to any and didn’t want to move from my home town. In the end I settled for ARU in Cambridge. This is about 25 miles from me and takes me about 40 minutes to drive. At first it seemed a little challenging but it’s worked out well. I love ARU and Cambridge so it’s totally worth the journey. Plus it just becomes part of the routine.

Im an ODP Student meaning I also have clinical placements. My first placement was roughly 40 miles from me and where I spent most of my time in the first year. At first, I was a bit apprehensive about the journey being so long but again I just got used to it and it became routine. Again the placement was great and totally worth the journey.

Of course, there is times when you really don’t want the travel especially after a long day! However, staying in my home town was so important to me so I had to make some compromises.

You need to decide what is most important to you and then decide. There is always the option to move closer to your university if you do find the travel time a bit too much!

I hope this helps a bit and you make the decision that’s best for you :smile: good luck starting uni whatever you decide!

Sophie (ARU) :smile:
Reply 3

I wouldn't commute - those travel times are not at peak time - I've used that train tine before as well.

You won;t have all the resources to hand if you commute - either take an apprenticeship or live in halls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending