The Student Room Group

11th January 2012 - 6BIO1 - edexcel biology unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Just did the June 2010 past paper, and the 'two factors that increase the risk of CVD' confused me. I put smoking and excessive alcohol, but alcohol isn't accepted? :s-smilie:
Original post by blue012
do you think we need too= be able to know about radicals...pls give me the key things that we do pls

I think only in reference to antioxidants. So you would say, antioxidants provide a hydrogen atom to neutralise the free radicals which would otherwise damage the endothelial layer triggering an inflammatory response.
Reply 382
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Just did the June 2010 past paper, and the 'two factors that increase the risk of CVD' confused me. I put smoking and excessive alcohol, but alcohol isn't accepted? :s-smilie:

same
Reply 383
Original post by MedicalMayhem
I think only in reference to antioxidants. So you would say, antioxidants provide a hydrogen atom to neutralise the free radicals which would otherwise damage the endothelial layer triggering an inflammatory response.

thanks
Hi everyone! :wink:

Could someone please explain a few ways of data manipulation. My teacher keeps saying I'm quoting data from the graphs/bar charts...

Thanks :wink: (ps. ive seen the data manipulation pages before but still confused)!
Reply 385
1. ref to an enzyme as a protein ;
2. ref to {3D / tertiary / globular} structure ;
3. ref. to named bonds (holding structure in
place) ;
4. between the R groups ;
5. ref to active site ;
6. idea of specificity of active site ;

guys, the question is describe the structure of an enzyme but i dont understand marking points 3 an 4. please if someone could explain so i understand it..
Reply 386
Original post by jacobsmith28
Hi everyone! :wink:

Could someone please explain a few ways of data manipulation. My teacher keeps saying I'm quoting data from the graphs/bar charts...

Thanks :wink: (ps. ive seen the data manipulation pages before but still confused)!

Same thing my teacher says. I think they dont know themselves to be honest. But i think you pick 2 numbers in 2 different areas of the graph, say 1n 1930 death rate was 1000 and in 1960 death rate was 4000. I would do 4000/1000 = 4 . Then say in 30 years from 1930-1960 death rates quadrupled. I think that is what it is. Peopl say pick any 2 points nut i dont think you can pick any for example if one was 3 and the other was 2 then 3/2 = 1.5 your not going to say it 1.5 times increased. Thats what im confused about can u pick any 2 points like at A it was 60 and at B it was 400 ao it increased by 340?
Original post by blue012
1. ref to an enzyme as a protein ;
2. ref to {3D / tertiary / globular} structure ;
3. ref. to named bonds (holding structure in
place) ;
5. ref to active site ;
6. idea of specificity of active site ;

guys, the question is describe the structure of an enzyme but i dont understand marking points 3 an 4. please if someone could explain so i understand it..

3 and 4 are the points which should come in your mind instantly you see any question about enzyme structure !!!
bonds have to be there to fold polypeptide chain into a specific shape , those bonds form between R groups of different amino acids cuz only R group is the thing different between the 20 amino acids :smile:
3 daysssssss to goooo !!! keeeeeeeeeeeel mehhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 389
Original post by moizedexcel
3 and 4 are the points which should come in your mind instantly you see any question about enzyme structure !!!
bonds have to be there to fold polypeptide chain into a specific shape , those bonds form between R groups of different amino acids cuz only R group is the thing different between the 20 amino acids :smile:

R the R groups the bonds disulfide etc ionic

But you seem very clued up on everything. :smile:
Reply 391
. ref. to named bonds (holding structure in
place) ;

if its talkin about an enzyme what bond is it. Is it ionic, hydrogen, disulfide? how you supposed to tell
Reply 392
I understand that in the primary structure there are peptide bonds, in the secondary there are: hydrogen bonds. In tertiary it is: ionic,disulfied, hydrphilic and hydrophobic. How you supposed to know the bonds holding a globular protein like an enzyme together. ASAp help needed pls
Original post by blue012
I understand that in the primary structure there are peptide bonds, in the secondary there are: hydrogen bonds. In tertiary it is: ionic,disulfied, hydrphilic and hydrophobic. How you supposed to know the bonds holding a globular protein like an enzyme together. ASAp help needed pls

WAAAT ???? U ANSWERED URSELF DUDEE !!!!:tongue: GLOBULAR STRUCTURE IS A TERTIARY STRUCTURE SO WHATS HOLDING A TERTIARY STRUCTURE ??? :- OHH YEAH !! THEY ARE IONIC , DISULFIDE AND HYDROGEN BONDSSS !!! YUPPPII ! :tongue: HERE U GO ....:smile:
Original post by thegreenchildren
But you seem very clued up on everything. :smile:

well thank you for tht ! i hope thts true !! :tongue: but exam is like SOMETHING ELSE !! OMGOSHH !! its just so irritating :tongue:
Reply 395
WAAAT ???? U ANSWERED URSELF DUDEE !!!!:tongue: GLOBULAR STRUCTURE IS A TERTIARY STRUCTURE SO WHATS HOLDING A TERTIARY STRUCTURE ??? :- OHH YEAH !! THEY ARE IONIC , DISULFIDE AND HYDROGEN BONDSSS !!! YUPPPII ! :tongue: HERE U GO ....:smile:

thnks lol. But i didnt know that the globular structure is the tertiary structure. So i can say an enzyme is a globular protein. Disulphide, hydrogen and ionic bonds hold the globular structure of an enzyme together. The bonds form between R groups.

haraaam bro :P
Original post by blue012
thnks lol. But i didnt know that the globular structure is the tertiary structure. So i can say an enzyme is a globular protein. Disulphide, hydrogen and ionic bonds hold the globular structure of an enzyme together. The bonds form between R groups.

yayyyy !!!! u gawt it !!! not u can say u HAVE to say because all enzymes are GLOBULAR !!!!...........:smile:
Original post by Hanz_a93
haraaam bro :P

HARRRRAMM YAA ALAIKK !! :tongue: but still kill mehh !! :tongue:
Original post by blue012
Same thing my teacher says. I think they dont know themselves to be honest. But i think you pick 2 numbers in 2 different areas of the graph, say 1n 1930 death rate was 1000 and in 1960 death rate was 4000. I would do 4000/1000 = 4 . Then say in 30 years from 1930-1960 death rates quadrupled. I think that is what it is. Peopl say pick any 2 points nut i dont think you can pick any for example if one was 3 and the other was 2 then 3/2 = 1.5 your not going to say it 1.5 times increased. Thats what im confused about can u pick any 2 points like at A it was 60 and at B it was 400 ao it increased by 340?

Im not too sure - does anyone else no?!?!?! :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending