The Student Room Group

Why have you not tried 'drugs'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Nightstar-27
I don't drink fizzy drinks and you seriously can't compare taking pepsi over water as being the same as taking drugs. I don't need them and they don't benefit me.

Really? My father has an addiction to diet coke, as do many; you really think large amounts of caffeine are not harmful? Caffeine is a drug too you know, and it can often lead to the development of anxiety disorders: which are then treated with benzodiazepines (some of the most addictive drugs around btw).
Original post by Publius
Really? My father has an addiction to diet coke, as do many; you really think large amounts of caffeine are not harmful? Caffeine is a drug too you know, and it can often lead to the development of anxiety disorders: which are then treated with benzodiazepines (some of the most addictive drugs around btw).

I wasn't saying caffeine wasn't dangerous or addictive as I said I don't drink it myself, my point was comparing taking pepsi over water as the same as taking drugs over no drugs is rather stupid. At least in the case of there being no water the pepsi will hydrate you a little but unless we are speaking of medicinal drugs there is no real reason or benefit to taking drugs over no drugs.
I wasn't saying caffeine wasn't dangerous or addictive as I said I don't drink it myself, my point was comparing taking pepsi over water as the same as taking drugs over no drugs is rather stupid. At least in the case of there being no water the pepsi will hydrate you a little but unless we are speaking of medicinal drugs there is no real reason or benefit to taking drugs over no drugs.

im fairly sure fizzy drinks actually dehydrate you.
Original post by DaveSmith99

The sugars and caffeine in them can dehydrate you but it is still mostly water. Lets just say most people wouldn't say no to a fizzy drink in a desert if no other option was available.
Reply 384
Original post by Publius
Thus it is tobacco that is carcinogenic: not cannabis. That was the only point i was making; you can not blame weed for tobacco addiction, or any of the repercussions that follow from it.

Cannabis is carcinogenic, there are loads of carcinogens in it and produced by smoking it - significantly fewer if you eat it, but there are still some there. CO, for example, is a carcinogen that is in basically any smoke, and is particularly high in cannabis smoke. Tobacco confuses the issue, as does the fact that cannabis appears to reduce the incidence or growth (it's unclear which) of certain types of cancers. It is very hard, thus, to determine exactly how carcinogenic it is but it is cannabis smoke is full of carcinogens. It has also, fairly definitively, been shown to increase incidence of COPD/bronchiecstasis/emphysema independent to, and at a very similar rate to tobacco smoke - these conditions all predispose to various types of lung cancer. Thus, at the very least, cannabis indirectly causes lots of cancers.

Cannabis is also addictive in it's own right, though not as addictive as tobacco or alcohol. It causes mental withdrawal symptoms (anhedonia, etc.) and very mild physical withdrawal symptoms - a lot like cocaine.

People can use it if they want, and cannabis is certainly not as harmful as some people make out, but it's certainly not 'safe'. Very few people seem to accept that there is a middle ground - any drug you care to name has significant side-effects and potential for long-term health detriment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 385
Original post by DaveSmith99

No. really really no.
Original post by Piddly
I am just interested to find out why people do not experiment. For me, although I do not take anything very often except cannabis and alcohol, drugs are important to me. The different states of mind you enter when taking weed/ mushrooms/ LSD/ MDMA/ salvia etc are so intriguing. I would find it horrible to be trapped in a sober mind 24/7.

Yes, drugs deserve a LOT of respect and one must know exactly what he/she is doing before trying a new drug for the first time. But there are only a few drugs which, in my opinion, are not worth trying at least once in your life. Just to feel how your mind alters under these substances is amazing.

NB obviously there are still many drugs which I do not recommend to anyone, even once. Cocaine is not worth anything and substances such as heroin are not worth the risks. If you actually research LSD, cannabis, MDMA and many others; you may find that a lot of the horror stories you hear are simply government propaganda. I know many of you will disagree however...

I wouldn't really say most drugs are worth trying. Really the only drugs I'd ever advocate taking are hallucinogens (including marijuana and mdma, both of which count by some peoples definition.) I don't see much value in depressants (including alcohol) or mindless stimulants like speed or cocaine.

Then again that is my subjective personal opinion and others are free to disagree.

But yes, I think more people should be willing to take different drugs beyond just alcohol (and beyond marijuana also). I'm not advocating any reckless behaviour, in fact I'm quite critical of how much people drink (I've drunk alcohol once in the last few months) - but drugs like mdma, lsd, mushrooms, marijuana - they can all provide some useful experiences. I think its sad that some people would reject them outright without looking into them. If you look into it and decide they're not for you, that's another matter and that is fine by me.
One other point I really want to stress - alcohol is a drug.

It's so annoying when people say "I hate drugs, why do people feel the need to change their state of conciousness? Nope, not for me. I just get wasted every weekend." Ok so maybe they don't phrase it in exactly that way, but that is generally what the case is for many people.

Is it just because alcohol is legal? That clearly isn't the litmus test of whether something is a drug or not. Oh so weed is a drug here but not in the Netherlands and alcohol isn't a drug here but it is in Saudi Arabia? No, both are drugs all the time, goddammit. >.<
Reply 388
TBH, I just don't want to.
But also, my parents have told me they would disapprove if I did and an honorary brother (long story) previously did weed, coke and ketamine. He's told me if I ever smoke weed or do any kind of drug other than alcohol or caffeine, he'll break my hands.

Also, my boyfriend, who occasionally has a joint had a bad experience when a friend didn't tell him that the joint was laced with LSD until after he smoked it.

And in relation to the comment above mine: I rarely drink enough to get wasted, I drink to get a little merry :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bammzie
Also, my boyfriend, who occasionally has a joint had a bad experience when a friend didn't tell him that the joint was laced with LSD until after he smoked it.

That's not a friend.
Reply 390
Original post by mikeyd85
That's not a friend.

Well, a friend before that happened :tongue:
Reply 391
Original post by bammzie
TBH, I just don't want to.
But also, my parents have told me they would disapprove if I did and an honorary brother (long story) previously did weed, coke and ketamine. He's told me if I ever smoke weed or do any kind of drug other than alcohol or caffeine, he'll break my hands.

And in relation to the comment above mine: I rarely drink enough to get wasted, I drink to get a little merry :smile:

LSD cannot be smoked, as the heat destroys it. Either he lied or it was another drug such as PCP.
Reply 392
Original post by CandyFlipper
I wouldn't really say most drugs are worth trying. Really the only drugs I'd ever advocate taking are hallucinogens (including marijuana and mdma, both of which count by some peoples definition.) I don't see much value in depressants (including alcohol) or mindless stimulants like speed or cocaine.

Then again that is my subjective personal opinion and others are free to disagree.

But yes, I think more people should be willing to take different drugs beyond just alcohol (and beyond marijuana also). I'm not advocating any reckless behaviour, in fact I'm quite critical of how much people drink (I've drunk alcohol once in the last few months) - but drugs like mdma, lsd, mushrooms, marijuana - they can all provide some useful experiences. I think its sad that some people would reject them outright without looking into them. If you look into it and decide they're not for you, that's another matter and that is fine by me.

Agree entirely.
Reply 393
To be honest it's mainly because I need to take a larger amount than most people in order to have the same experience and I prefer getting drunk to being affected by drugs. I've experimented with quite a few and to be honest, nothing comes clsoe in my opinion to get pissed with the lads on a night out.
Reply 394
Original post by bammzie
He's told me if I ever smoke weed or do any kind of drug other than alcohol or caffeine, he'll break my hands.

Well he sounds like a massive ****.

Original post by bammzie

What a waste of LSD, you can't smoke it. It would have had no effect at all if a joint was laced with LSD. I guess it could have been PCP, heard of salvia being used to lace bongs but wouldn't have done anything in a spliff or alternativly and far more likely the whole story is bull****.
Reply 395

Most recreational drugs have medicinal and psychiatric uses. That's why many of them were created in the first place - just as soon as people started using them recreationally, they got banned.
I'd imagine it's because most people are too busy with too many responsibilities at our age, as students. It was OK when we were teens.
Original post by Publius
Most recreational drugs have medicinal and psychiatric uses. That's why many of them were created in the first place - just as soon as people started using them recreationally, they got banned.

Some recreational drugs have medicinal and psychiatric use, generally in lower doses than what one would take to get high and not mixed with a bunch of harmful substances either.
Original post by bammzie

That doesn't stop alcohol being a drug, it just means that you only use small doses of that drug. You can smoke a little bit of marijuana too.

I've actually noticed a line that anti-marijuana people have started using. "You can drink a little bit of alcohol and just be merry, but when you smoke weed you're just high, end of story."

I always find that line very strange, because of course you can just smoke a little bit of marijuana and still be fully fuctional. On the other end of the scale you can be as baked as that woman in the film 'smiley face' (amazing film to watch when you're hella high btw).

But if you were someone who smokes small amounts of marijuana, you're still using drugs. Same with alcohol. So my point still stands: alcohol is a drug, weed is a drug.
Reply 399

Is it the Law? Are you afraid of being caught?

A bit. I am a law-abiding citizen.

Are you worried about your health?
Yes, very much.

Are you scared of becoming addicted?
Yes: I hate dependence (on people and things). I would feel 'weak'.

Or do you feel like you are too ignorant about the drug in question to feel like you should experiment with it?
I did a presentation on illegal drugs when I was 11-12. I researched the drug 'trade', their impacts on our health etc. Ever since, I never felt like considering using them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending