The Student Room Group

I'm Sick Of Reverse Snobbery

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by NW86
To be honest, that was really long, and it seemed like a whingey rant from what I read. I was gonna neg you, just because y'no. Then I saw 48 people had pos'ed and 18 neg'ed... At that point I was definetly going to neg you.

Then I saw "Anyway, I'm off to the gym"

Boom! And now for some deadlifts.

What a way to end a rant, pos rep sir.

LOL thanks. As it happens I got a new PB for my deadlift after writing that.
Original post by Fallen
I agree most rich people got there through merit and hard work.
My dad, as a banker and executive, is hated by most of the country it seems (not personally, just what he does for a living). Yet nobody seems to remember that he came to this country from Africa with £200 in his pocket and one month's rent pre-paid. From that day he has contributed to the economy more than 99% of the population, and took nothing out as a child (as he was not raised or educated here).
Definitely deserving of the public's hate.

If he's an integral part of they system which precipitated the biggest recession since the Great Depression by mindlessly gambling our money then he hasn't contributed anything.

Also it's the fact that bankers are paid way above what they're worth. Google: "Daniel Kahneman cognitive delusion extract."

Put simply bankers get their massive bonuses whether they make money for their company or not. Obviously they do sometimes because a monkey would make money sometimes, overall their 'expertise' is a myth.

It's their inability to acknowledge this which grates. A skill shared by 75,000 people is not one that is difficult to acquire, you could replace the bankers with 6th form students and there would be no difference in the banks' performances.
The poorer members of society should always have been offered "a Hand Up, not a Hand Out" as the latter appears to remove the self- motivation to aspire and better yourself.

Meanwhile the wealth creators in society should have been more carefully regulated by the Government who instead chose not to ask any questions because the ridiculous rate of "growth" made them look good in the eyes of the voters who were meanwhile enjoying their own little slices of the pie.

Now we are in a ridiculous mess with some CEOs and other individuals such as footballers and bankers earn 100s of times more than the average worker which is simply unnecessary, no matter how hard you may have worked to get there.

In addition there are plenty of average people who believe they are entitled to a level of material wealth and lifestyle that they may well have become accustomed to, but realistically could never have afforded without credit, and finally an expanding population of dossers who thinks it is their human right to receive benefits in return for contributing nothing.

With regards to inverted snobbery, I think a lot of it comes down to simple jealousy. We value money far too highly as a society and we are obsessed with wealth and celebrity, hence the popularity of get-rich gameshows, the National Lottery, Big Brother, and vomit-inducing shows depicting the "glam lifestyles" lead by celebrities.

Most of us are materialistic, dare I say a bit greedy and believe that we deserve more than we have. It is this attitude which has lead to more and more people - at every level of society - being willing to do whatever it takes to get as much as possible for themselves, without experiencing the slightest stab of shame.

When money seems to be the thing that matters most to everyone, why should anyone, rich or poor, care about self-respect or social conscience?
(edited 12 years ago)
^^ Wow
Christ, thats the definition of a Wall of Text :lolwut:

I have already gleamed you're complaining about peasants resenting those with money, which is in the same vein as old people hating teenagers. Its just a fact that those with no money will always hate on those with money. Rather than wetting your pants over it, just ignore it, don't associate with them and get on with your life.

Its what I do :colonhash:
Reply 65
Original post by Karlito1978
If he's an integral part of they system which precipitated the biggest recession since the Great Depression by mindlessly gambling our money then he hasn't contributed anything.

Also it's the fact that bankers are paid way above what they're worth. Google: "Daniel Kahneman cognitive delusion extract."

Put simply bankers get their massive bonuses whether they make money for their company or not. Obviously they do sometimes because a monkey would make money sometimes, overall their 'expertise' is a myth.

It's their inability to acknowledge this which grates. A skill shared by 75,000 people is not one that is difficult to acquire, you could replace the bankers with 6th form students and there would be no difference in the banks' performances.

If that were possible then it would have been done.

I doubt you even know what most bankers do, or the differences types of financial services offered. Every part of our society is pervaded by the financial sector, and while you can disagree with some of their practices, disagreeing and detesting the whole sector is madness. In the same way one might disagree with some of the ways the Energy sector gets its raw minerals, etc. but you would be mad to think that life as we know it could exist without Energy services.

He is an integral part of the banks he works at, that does not make him responsible. He is responsible for managing the IT systems and staff for a number for international banks, does that make him personally responsible for rogue traders? I apologise profusely on his behalf if it does.
Reply 66
Original post by Viscousbadgerjelly
Now we are in a ridiculous mess with some CEOs and other individuals such as footballers and bankers earn 100s of times more than the average worker which is simply unnecessary, no matter how hard you may have worked to get there.

Why shouldn't footballers earn what they do? If they are drawing in crowds, advertisement money (the main income), and T.V rights, why shouldn't they reap he rewards?

Tiger woods got about $80 million a year from advertisements, but if Gillette are selling an extra $500 million of razors for it, who are you to tell Gillette that they cannot pay him that amount of money?

Whilst I am extremely skeptical towards this statement, I do sometimes wonder if the money (for the bank) made by, "bankers" is more the product of access to better information than skill. This said, implying that the banks were the sole cause of The Great Depression is silly.
Original post by Fallen
If that were possible then it would have been done.

I doubt you even know what most bankers do, or the differences types of financial services offered. Every part of our society is pervaded by the financial sector, and while you can disagree with some of their practices, disagreeing and detesting the whole sector is madness. In the same way one might disagree with some of the ways the Energy sector gets its raw minerals, etc. but you would be mad to think that life as we know it could exist without Energy services.

He is an integral part of the banks he works at, that does not make him responsible. He is responsible for managing the IT systems and staff for a number for international banks, does that make him personally responsible for rogue traders? I apologise profusely on his behalf if it does.

I'm a qualified accountant so i probably know more than you. Did you google the phrase i gave, if you did you'd have got the article which explained it better than i can. It explains why they haven't been replaced by interns...simply put, bankers and those connected to them simply can't accept that they have no insight or expertise and just as many make huge losses for their company....thye get huge bonuses so therefore they deserve them...they deserve them because they make money. Despite all available evidence refuting this claim.

Also, it wasn't 'rogue traders' was it? In fact the ones who saw what the eventual fallout was going to be and spoke up about it were the ones that were seen as 'rogue'; many frozen out of the City for ever.
Reply 69
I'm a qualified accountant so i probably know more than you. Did you google the phrase i gave, if you did you'd have got the article which explained it better than i can. It explains why they haven't been replaced by interns...simply put, bankers and those connected to them simply can't accept that they have no insight or expertise and just as many make huge losses for their company....thye get huge bonuses so therefore they deserve them...they deserve them because they make money. Despite all available evidence refuting this claim.

Also, it wasn't 'rogue traders' was it? In fact the ones who saw what the eventual fallout was going to be and spoke up about it were the ones that were seen as 'rogue'; many frozen out of the City for ever.

There is some evidence that some areas of banking are fairly arbitrary, in particular passive Asset Management usually outperforms active management in the long run. That said, that opinion is my no means unanimous and is not 'proof' that sixth formers could do it better, in fact passive funds still require a lot of behind the scenes expertise.
The idea that interns or sixth formers could do something such as M&A as well as an expert is laughable, and I will not even bother wasting my time arguing with you until you can come up with a compelling argument in favour.
Original post by Fallen
Why shouldn't footballers earn what they do? If they are drawing in crowds, advertisement money (the main income), and T.V rights, why shouldn't they reap he rewards?

Tiger woods got about $80 million a year from advertisements, but if Gillette are selling an extra $500 million of razors for it, who are you to tell Gillette that they cannot pay him that amount of money?

Exactly. On top of their salaries they also get advertising contracts for ridiculous sums of money - so why do their salaries need to be so big as well? They could instead take smaller wages and make tickets a bit cheaper for the loyal fans who probably see more advertising than football when they watch a match (pigs might fly)

The premiership might as well be a game of monopoly as teams only seem to do well once they have been taken over by a foreign multi-billionaire.

A company that employs hundreds or thousands of people earning an extra $500 dollars in sales in one thing - but no one individual really deserves to earn $80 million a year. Not even for pretending to shave with a razer.

Just because it happens doesn't make it right. In my opinion everything is about greed these days and your comment hasn't done much to change my view, which I am entitled to hold.
Reply 71
Original post by Arteta

Original post by Arteta
I just felt like having a little rant. As a little disclaimer i'll just say that we all know that you can't generalise with absolute precision, but that doesn't mean that grouping people together is an act of futility.

Anyways, I'm sick of all this reverse snobbery bull****. British people feel that they are owed certain things for nothing. A lot of people who end up successful work HARD for that money, then most people feel they should be punished for their success with higher taxes and pay cuts.

In some ways I feel that Victorian values are still the greatest. Obviously people deserve to have their vote and it shouldn't be any other way, but the people don't know what's good for them. It's like letting a child into a sweet shop. I don't want to turn this into a political bashing, but Labour in particular seem to throw out all of these 'fair' sounding ideals that the people eat up right away, but little do they know that it's not actually a good thing. Every time I see one of these newspaper reports about top management being punished or executives receiving pay cuts it makes me rage a little. The fact is, people love to hear that their bosses are being called out for whatever reason.
Now I come from a fairly working class background and I detest nothing more than hearing of this whole 'local lad' propaganda that accompany's the whole 'hate the rich person' attitude. I think people in England are spoiled and they're acting up over nothing much. I love that our government has an NHS and I greatly appreciate it, but everybody else seems to think that they deserve it. Nobody seems grateful. The way I see it, at this point in life I have contributed nothing to my country, yet I'm allowed free healthcare and education, not to mention countless opportunities that could see me working almost anywhere I want. How? Because the government gave me education and even a student loan to ensure that I study what I want. So the government decides to make some national cuts in order to save money and people go nuts and start protesting? Are we forgetting that our government has done this in the best interests of our nation? Now I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but we appear to have one of the least corrupt governments in the world, yet people bang on about how the 'rich bastards' are suffocating them. The whole expenses scandal is pathetic when you consider the reality of corrupt governments.

In World War II Winston Churchill spent a lot of public tax money taking holidays with Roosevelt. These expensive holidays cemented a tight relationship between the leaders and America worked with us to win the war. If that happened these days people would be in uproar that they have to pay 2p towards other people having fun, regardless of how important it really is.
Also, people are quite happy to blame the recession on the 'greedy bankers' but have failed to mention that buying TV's and phones with credit cards could have had some effect. People now have to pay for the reckless lifestyles they've had, but they can't seem to admit that they haven't helped the situation.

Not everybody has an easy situation, but there have been opportunities for British people for quite some time. If they really wanted to make something of themselves then they could have simply achieved in school and gone on to higher education (though not necessary for some), there haven't been any massive barriers for success, but now those people who didn't take the opportunities are getting mad at the people who have been successful and they call for pay cuts etc. If people don't think that they have opportunities available to them then they should compare the UK to the rest of the world. Even Americans have doors closed because if you don't have money you can't get so far. In England, university is affordable and as we have (up until now) been paying ridiculously low fees and our universities have consequently struggled to compete with the likes of American institutions who have seemingly unlimited funds; not that money is everything, but it helps. Now we have raised fees and yet again people are going nuts, despite the fact that almost anybody can get a student loan.

I just don't get it. It's like everybody grows up and just expects handouts. It's a hard world yet you don't even have to fight for survival anymore, but those who fight hard can reap bigger rewards. Those who don't fight at all receive very little and then complain about the one's who did make something of themselves. I think the typical 'rich bastard' argument is outdated; sure, a long time ago people were trapped and couldn't better themselves, whilst the rich stayed rich, but those days are gone. The upper class don't have money anymore, the working class don't have money either and the 'middle class' do (though class isn't defined by money). Why? Because opportunities aren't just limited to a handful of families, the rich have worked hard to make sure that they are valuable, and they earn a lot of money as a consequence. Those who haven't worked hard may have come up with a truly genius idea that substitutes hard work. It's always the cool kids at the back of class playing with their iPod that missed the boat and are now teaching their children to hate 'rich scum'.

This probably won't account for the majority of the TSR population, but i'm sure some people may understand what I mean. I'm expecting that i'll get some hate in this thread. Anyway, i'm off to the gym!

I so agree! £9000 a year is nothing compared to $40,000 at equivalent institutions in the US and they have to get a private student loan with very high interest! It's the poor people buying things they can't afford on credit that has landed us in this situation. If everyone just lived within their means no-one would be as affected by the recession as they claim to be.
Reply 72
Original post by Viscousbadgerjelly
Exactly. On top of their salaries they also get advertising contracts for ridiculous sums of money - so why do their salaries need to be so big as well? They could instead take smaller wages and make tickets a bit cheaper for the loyal fans who probably see more advertising than football when they watch a match (pigs might fly)

The premiership might as well be a game of monopoly as teams only seem to do well once they have been taken over by a foreign multi-billionaire.

A company that employs hundreds or thousands of people earning an extra $500 dollars in sales in one thing - but no one individual really deserves to earn $80 million a year. Not even for pretending to shave with a razer.

Just because it happens doesn't make it right. In my opinion everything is about greed these days and your comment hasn't done much to change my view, which I am entitled to hold.

If they have got into a position where their endorsement is worth hundreds of millions, or billions, why should they not reap the benefits?
There is nothing stopping any of us from getting in that position, and likewise they have not taken the money from anyone. People voluntarily buy razors because they saw Celebrity X use it (goodness only knows why, but they do).

If people were serious about not wanting footballers having big salaries, they would boycott games, but in reality most fans love it when their teams are winning. It is easier to win when you buy the best players, and now we have a market.

I can see your point, but I don't understand how it would make sense in reality. All footballers get £20,000 a year, yay! Now they are all just going to become plumbers and earn £50k.
Everyone in the market has power because we can all choose where we put our money (which is why there is the fair trade commission, and cartels are illegal, so we can all choose). Don't like something? Don't endorse it with your money. Most things above that are unnecessary and immoral fiddling.
According to the bbc website back in 2006...the average footballer salary equates to £13,000 per week and typically rises by between 60% and 100% when performance-related bonuses are taken into account.

But who said footballers would have to earn £20,000 a year? If they earned £250,000 a year it would put them in line with many GPs and they would be earning about £100,000 more than the PM. You're telling me footballers would rather train to be a plumber than earn £250,000 a year for doing something they love? I highly doubt it.

I do hear what you are saying about choice which is why i don't buy celebrity endorsed projects or watch much sport. However I guarantee there are plenty of the people who do buy a razer because it is endorsed by a celebrity or pay through the nose for a football ticket indulging in inverted snobbery and technically they have no right to as they are choosing to make the rich people richer.
This country in general has a defeatist attitude. If people keep saying they're not going to becomes successful because of X,Y Z and # then that's their prerogative. Regardless of the economy, and many other external factors. Being rich is possible even for us working class. Especially if you have an internet connection.

I know it's totally irrelevant to the thread but whatevs.
Original post by s.a.u
If everyone just lived within their means no-one would be as affected by the recession as they claim to be.

Yes of course. Someone borrowing money really had an impact on them being made redundant :rolleyes:
Original post by WelshBluebird
Yes of course. Someone borrowing money really had an impact on them being made redundant :rolleyes:

1. If people had lived within their means, the recession wouldn't have happened.

2. In the bad old days of personal responsibility, people put aside a surplus of the resources they had aquired to allow them to survive in a recession/famine. Borrowing money is the opposite of this as you end up paying back more.
Original post by PendulumBoB
1. If people had lived within their means, the recession wouldn't have happened.

Keep ignoring the fact it had a lot to do with banks selling debt that was made up of debt, that itself was made up of debt etc etc.
Even if every UK citizen had lived within their means, we would still have had the recession because a lot of it was outside our control (the american sub prime mortgages that kicked the whole financial mess off for example).

2. In the bad old days of personal responsibility, people put aside a surplus of the resources they had aquired to allow them to survive in a recession/famine. Borrowing money is the opposite of this as you end up paying back more.

1 - Many jobs do not pay enough to do that.
2 - Even if you do manage it, you would quickly run out of that money after 6 months - 12 months or even longer without a job.
Keep ignoring the fact it had a lot to do with banks selling debt that was made up of debt, that itself was made up of debt etc etc.
Even if every UK citizen had lived within their means, we would still have had the recession because a lot of it was outside our control (the american sub prime mortgages that kicked the whole financial mess off for example).

If every US citizen had also lived within his means we would have been fine. :smile:

1 - Many jobs do not pay enough to do that.
2 - Even if you do manage it, you would quickly run out of that money after 6 months - 12 months or even longer without a job.

As someone who has taken a walk down the value isle of a supermarket I certainly believe that most jobs do allow this.
If every US citizen had also lived within his means we would have been fine. :smile:

Except we cannot control what happens in another country.
And if everyone did, then quite a lot of people would be out of a job, and our financial services industry would not make as much money as it does.

As someone who has taken a walk down the value isle of a supermarket I certainly believe that most jobs do allow this.

And even then things add up.
And you don't have a value isle for rent, or for bills etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending