The Student Room Group

Would DSA cover tutition costs?

In the event of a student being forced to study externally due to illness (ie, in a different city to their university- and so away from peer help, tutor help etc)- do you think the DSA would cover money for the candidate to hire a tutor to help with the work?

My brother is in the situation described above. He missed 2 of his finals in the summer due to illness (lupus), and so is sitting them in late feb. He will be the only candidate sitting these exams. He's really struggling with the work, and the university are being SO unhelpful- they've basically just emailed him 2 really vague topics and he has no idea how to prepare. In one of the exams the students in his year prepared for basically by brainstorming and swapping ideas- obviously he does not have this peer support. Annoyingly, he was the last year of this particular course structure, so he can't even try and contact the current finalists.

I know DSA tend to provide money for books, laptops etc, but do you think they'd consider funding for a tutor? He's going to speak to them tomorrow but it would be good to get some information here first.
I get weekly sessions with a study support worker from DSA, but its general stuff rather than subject specific

Its possible, only way to find out is talk to them. He might need another needs assessment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending